• Hello Im new to the game, but am learning fast…

My local store will be hosting A & A games (I asume 100 point 15 unit limit)

Right now my best side by far would be soviet union…

I have:

Armor
    KV-1
    T-34
    T-34 Guard
    T-70

Soldiers
    cossack captain
    communist partisans x2
    PPsh-41 SMG
    Fanatical sniper

*Now i relize that im a little short on infantry but i can get them easly…

Im looking for more of a blanced build… but players I play against tend to have a more armor heavy build… its hard not to play with those sexy tigers even though they take all ur points ;p

Im look at somthing like this:

KV1
    Cossack captain (of da combo with KV1)
    T-34 Guards
    T-70
    (thats 86 points so far)

not sure how to approach the infantry… looking at soviet granaders, but they have a very limited range…
    partisans seem interesting, but i may need a few pointers on how they should be used effectivly & how many should be run…
    Also is there any advantage to running the T-34/76 instead to take advantage of its transport ability?

Im more worried with enimy infantry than armor… I pretty confident that i have enough armor to go mono de mono with a armor heavy german side… Anything I should do to deal with infanty? Is aircraft gonna give me fits?

And basic strategy with this Russia i should be made aware of? hehehe ya that was a mouth full… Thanx ahead of time!

• If you come up against a Parabomb army, or SS-PG based one you will be in trouble. A Fanatical Sniper will help against the SS-PGs (and any other support units), but not so much against the Screaming Eagles. Adding a Hero (of the Soviet Union) should be nearly automatic; they are good against anything and the HotSU can spawn off of your KV-1/Cossack OR a Partisan. Additionaly, Partisans are always nice if you roll Urban Combat)

With that in mind here’s one build to think about:

KV-1
    Cossack Captain (Rider)
    Guards T-34/85
    Hero of the Soviet Union
    Communist Partisan x2
    Fanatical Sniper
    Soviet Grenadier

With Partisans its usually best to place your units second so you can see where the enemy has his and attempt to disrupt his movements. If he actually places any along the map edge I would happily sacrifice a Partisan to tie a few units up for a turn or two.  Otherwise place them either closer to the middle so then can make their way to the objective or close to roads (depending on how difficult the terrain is).

The T-34/76 is decent, but the Guards T-34/85 has a bit more firepower that your force may need.

• @Der:

If you come up against a Parabomb army, or SS-PG based one you will be in trouble. A Fanatical Sniper will help against the SS-PGs (and any other support units), but not so much against the Screaming Eagles. Adding a Hero (of the Soviet Union) should be nearly automatic; they are good against anything and the HotSU can spawn off of your KV-1/Cossack OR a Partisan. Additionaly, Partisans are always nice if you roll Urban Combat)

With that in mind here’s one build to think about:

KV-1
    Cossack Captain (Rider)
    Guards T-34/85
    Hero of the Soviet Union
    Communist Partisan x2
    Fanatical Sniper
    Soviet Grenadier

With Partisans its usually best to place your units second so you can see where the enemy has his and attempt to disrupt his movements. If he actually places any along the map edge I would happily sacrifice a Partisan to tie a few units up for a turn or two.  Otherwise place them either closer to the middle so then can make their way to the objective or close to roads (depending on how difficult the terrain is).

The T-34/76 is decent, but the Guards T-34/85 has a bit more firepower that your force may need.

When I play a 200 pt game, the KV-1 and the Guards T-34/85 are the 2 tanks I always field.  I usually add a Katyusha and a Stumovik for good support for my infantry.  However instead of using the cossack captain on the KV-1, I usually put the Red Army FO on top and immediately get the KV-1 to the front lines to spot for my Sturmovik and 2-3 mortars.  That with the KV-1’s great infantry rolls, it makes for a good frontline shattering.

Anyways, this is what I would recommend for a 100 pt Ruskie army.

KV-1
    Red Army FO
    82mm PN-37 Mortar
    Communist Partisan x2
    Hero of the Soviet Union
    PPSh-41 SMG
    Fanatical Sniper
    Soviet Grenadiers
    Cossack Captain
    Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 x3

You still have 2 pts left, so you might want to use it for traps or obstacles.

• I went 2-1+ at leage night

I was 2-0 with my soviet squad

KV-1 x1
    T-34 Guards x1
    T-70 x1
    Cossack Captain x1
    Fanatical Sniper x1
    Soviet Grenaiders x2

Worked pretty well unfortuently the grenaders get so left behind from the action that they make little difference…

1st game I played an axis squad who had a lot of small armor units. My T-34 Guards had grat position on the map and just cut threw his panzers. But he had incredible rolls he was able to destroy my KV-1 in the 3rd turn (i made a rookie mistake of forgeting to use hulking mass). Also my T-70 was destroyed on turn 3 with almost a perfect enemy roll. But It was the T34 who had great position by the objective who ended the game.

1-0

2nd game I played an Axie squad with a vet Tiger. I was very scared of the Tiger and avoided direct confrontation. Then I managed to secluded and isolate the Tiger and blitzed with my T-34G & KV1… unfortuently I lost the T34 but I killed the tiger. Once the tiger was gone it was over.

2-0

3rd game I was Axis running my newly pulled tiger one (I bought 2 packs 1 base the other base 2… I pulled a tiger 1 and king tiger! omg). I threw together this team so I had no big expectations… also worst case if I lose I new I would be tied for first. I chaced around his tanks… but time was called about turn 4, and I still had strong position and good control of the objective but point wise I had lost much more infantry. Since it was so early in the match we went by points but I didnt complain because I tied for 1st.

2-1

The guy i tied with didnt want to play a tie breaker, he claimed he had to go, so we broke it over WW2 history trivia question and I got it!  :-D Not bad for my first tornment  :wink:

Any ideas what I should run instead of the soviet grenadiers?

• What about

1 x Commisar
    2 x Mosin-Nagant 1891/30
    1 x Cossak Captain
    2 x Fanatical Sniper
    2 x PPsh-41 Submachine Gun
    2 x Cossack Cavalryman
    2 x Soviet Grenadiers
    1 x Su-85
    2 x Hero of the Soviet Union

It’s competitive?

• @allamarein:

What about

1 x Commisar
    2 x Mosin-Nagant 1891/30
    1 x Cossak Captain
    2 x Fanatical Sniper
    2 x PPsh-41 Submachine Gun
    2 x Cossack Cavalryman
    2 x Soviet Grenadiers
    1 x Su-85
    2 x Hero of the Soviet Union

It’s competitive?

No.

It’s not terrible, but there are a few flaws: You have one Hero too many, and not enough antitank units.  The Su-85 isn’t all that good by itself and the Cossack Captain is much better on a tank; a KV-1 would be much better. Partisans might be a better choice for the cavalrymen, depending on the role you want them to play.

Consider the top competitive armies usually involve: 1 heavy tank such as the Veteran Tiger (which, like it or not, you will have to deal with), multiple elite infantry (Screaming Eagles, SS Panzergrenadiers, etc), tank swarms (Shermans/Hetzers/StuGs), etc.

You don’t have the firepower to take out a heavy tank. Elite infantry will give you a hard time, but you may make it out decently (especially with the KV-1/Cossack Cpt combo). Against Sherman or StuG swarms you have a real problem; it won’t take them long to take out the Su-85, and they will rip apart your infantry from range where you can’t do anything back to them.

• Post-Set 5 I may try to run the KV-1 with 2x BT-7’s instead of T-70’s or a T-34… this will leave run for a lot of infantry… but a little weaker armor wise.

• Hence how would you correct my Army?
    I don’t know very-well tha “transport rule”
    What advantages wouldl my captain have on KV?
    Please, help me to build my Red Army

• @allamarein:

Hence how would you correct my Army?
    I don’t know very-well tha “transport rule”
    What advantages wouldl my captain have on KV?
    Please, help me to build my Red Army

Well, The KV-1 + Cossack Captain as a tank rider is the combo… after that u’ll need some extra armor like a t-34 and some infantry… u’ll need more than a kv-1 against most german armor heavy builds.

• Dont forgot to take mosins.  Mosins are perhaps the most unapreciated infantry unit in the whole Russian army.  Sure they have to be next to a commander in order to move, but they have what most other Russian units lack.  They have decent dice at medium range and a good close assault.  You might think 6 dice at medium range is crap, but compared to other units, it aint so bad.

• More importantly they not only have a close assault value (unlike the PPSh), but it’s also a fairly high number; 8 is enough to scare Tigers.

• A player advised me:

KV-1
    Cossack Captain
    Guards T-34/85
    Hero of the Soviet Union
    Communist Partisan x2
    Fanatical Sniper
    Soviet Grenadier

I coult take out the Partisan and put in Mosin…is it a good army?

• If you put in a Mosin-Nagant he’s not going to be going anywhere fast, as the only commander is the Cossack which is presumably riding the KV-1.

• What DL said.  If you are going to have the mosins, you must have a commander with them.  Thats the whole reason for the commissar.  Its an extremely cheap commander, thus you dont have to waste so many points for you mosins to move.  Also, he can murder a friendly unit so your infantry can “grow some balls” and fight better with bravery enforcement.  If you are taking a cossack captain to ride on the KV-1, then I would recommend you forget about taking mosins.  Your partisans can be places in an advantageous area where you can deploy your heros on the first round if you wish.

• I buyed a Sturmovik.
    What units do you advice to build an army with it?

• The Sturmovik is a nice ground attack aircraft, but lacking AA it needs support in that regard. Again, the best the Soviets can currently do is a bravery enforced Sniper. As with all planes, don’t simply throw the Sturmovik into the middle of the enemy and be surprised when it’s shot down.

Against enemy aircraft you’ll usually want to go second; not having AA and therefore not being able to defencive fire vs other aircraft is a severe hinderance. Against the Me262 it’s suicide.  The Superior Armour gives some added defence against enemy aircraft, helping to make up for the lack of AA, but otherwise the SA2 isn’t all that important, as ground units would have likely had to fire multiple shots anyway.

Like all aircraft, the Sturmovik is best at is harassing units; however unlike many Allied aircraft the Sturmovik has decent enough AT values to threaten any vehicle short of a Tiger (and even then it can be worth a shot).

I’d normally not recommend using the Sturmovik in a 100 point game; it’s better used in multiples and in larger games. However it’s not unuseable - it will basically replace a tank, though you should add some extra AT units to make up for the loss of firepower.

KV-1 w/ Cossack Captain
    IL-10 Sturmovik
    T-70
    Hero of the Soviet Union
    Fanatical Sniper
    Partisan x2
    Soviet Grenadier

Post Set V:

KV-1 w/ Cossack Captain
    IL-10 Sturmovik
    BT-7
    Hero of the Soviet Union
    Fanatical Sniper
    Soviet Grenadier x2
    Barbed Wire x2

• @dictator_wanna_be:

I went 2-1+ at leage night

KV-1 x1
    T-34 Guards x1
    T-70 x1
    Cossack Captain x1
    Fanatical Sniper x1
    Soviet Grenaiders x2

Worked pretty well unfortuently the grenaders get so left behind from the action that they make little difference…

The Grenadiers should have still been easily able to take the objective, what happened?

If you find they really aren’t doing the trick then replace them with another Sniper or two Cossack Cavalry.

• Where can I find the rules about aircraft?
    (In the Contested Sky booster could be a stupid answer  8-))
    Can I download that from the web?

• @allamarein:

Where can I find the rules about aircraft?
    (In the Contested Sky booster could be a stupid answer  8-))
    Can I download that from the web?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/ah20060215d

Just copy and paste to wordpad.

• @Der:

@dictator_wanna_be:

I went 2-1+ at leage night

KV-1 x1
    T-34 Guards x1
    T-70 x1
    Cossack Captain x1
    Fanatical Sniper x1
    Soviet Grenaiders x2

The Grenadiers should have still been easily able to take the objective, what happened?

If you find they really aren’t doing the trick then replace them with another Sniper or two Cossack Cavalry.

They just seem to slow in this build… i didnt have enough infanty so that might be part of the problem! The problem was that everything else had more speed and the battle was decided before I could bring them back into action. I think I will drop the T-70 maybe for more infantry, though soviet infantry bothers me that they dont have a decent basic unit… the greindiers and pps get shot at before they can engage due to limited range and the MN is comand dependent and to use it u need to almost build your team around it… I try to use the transport tank abuilities to off set this but not as god as i would like.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m