Average number of rounds to moderate victory?

• Hi,

have any of you counted or know of a statistic, how man
    rounds it takes on averag to achieve a moderate victory (= 9VC)
    (ie, how long does the game take in rounds ;-) ?

I’m assuming LHTR rules.

Regards,
    Peter

• I don’t know of there IS an average.

I ahve seen 9 VC in about 5 turns.  And I have seen 20 not achieve it.

Most games though seem to run 10-15 turns before one side or the other sees the writing on the wall and says “enough”.

• The average number of my last 5 Triplea games is 11,2 , so more or less the same switch said

• I have to be honest though, for whatever reason I seem to have a large number of very short games.  My personal average is probably around 6-7 turns.

I don;t know why, but it had gotten so bad at one point that folks in the Spring Tournament were making cracks about me “winning on byes”.  I averaged about 2-3 turns per game for the entire Spring Tournament.

• There are just 2 possible reasons for this, you are either an excellent or a very bad player.  :wink:

• Which does it mean if I say I was the winner in every one of those short games?

Personally, I think it means I just got real darn lucky.

• I think it is an intimidation factor Switch. There might be some who think they have to try something bold or off the wall to hang in with you.

My tourney game went less than three, (lots of bad G decisions) and I’m in turn 7 in a forum game with it more or less locked depending on whether Japan can get over a pretty big wall in Moscow. Both sides are facing mutual annihilation in the battle. Germany is pretty much locked in Germany.

We usually lose track in our FTF games but the 10-15 sounds right.

• 2007 AAR League

Has anybody actually played a game that was won by VC conditions (excluding the minor VC games)?  Every game I’ve ever played has ended with one side surrendering.

• I think you may be right Frimmel.

As evidence I would put forward the Tournament Final between me and Bebo… and then the very next game between the two of us.

As far as the VC vs. Surrender…

To be honest, I prefer surrender, whether I am the one surrendering, or the one winning.

• @ncscswitch:

To be honest, I prefer surrender, whether I am the one surrendering, or the one winning.

Yeah I prefer that too, but I have a couple of games where the game really ended at fulfilled VC conditions.

• Thanks for the answers. BTW, we usually end the game by 9 VC (no surrender),
    but to tell the truth, usually one player could surrender about 2 rounds before
    the last VC is taken (that’s the point where he can’t change anything anymore).

• Which does it mean if I say I was the winner in every one of those short games?

Personally, I think it means I just got real darn lucky.

I buy into the intimidation theory. You offer surrenders so often that someone is bound to take one  :-P

On a serious note, in games I would consider with average dice on both sides, it does take about 10+ turns in order to see who comes out ahead. 10 is about the turn that capitals fall or on the verge of falling if relatively conservative play is applied. You can end it sooner if you are aggressive and trade faster, but 10 is when the chips start to fall.

• I agree…  Traditional conservative strats, Germany and Russia are both in trouble about T10.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m