How Long Does Russia Usually Stay In The Game?

• I’ve been playing Axis & Allies a long time (since '87) and I would say that a player cannot over-estimate the importance of the conflict between Germany and Russia. You could say that the fate of the war hinges on how quickly Russia can be taken out. If Russia is wiped out relatively quickly, an Axis victory is much more likely. If Russia manages to hang in there for a long time, they can become an anvil against which the Western Allies can smash Germany, and Japan’s eventual fate is a foregone conclusion, fighting alone against three adversaries.

What I want to know is, how long do the Soviets usually hang around in your games? I’m a pretty good player with Germany, so if I’m playing against a real chump (and the dice are with me) I can be in Moscow in two or three turns. When I play Japan, I always make a point to snatch up the eastern USSR provinces to make my German ally’s work easier. Sometimes, I can even threaten Moscow.

On the other hand, I have a buddy who is a really good Russian player, and has hung in their against me for entire games now and then. How about y’all?

(I play the Allies too, but that’s for another poll :wink: )

• I thought you had papers to read Darth. :D

This depends on what kind of variations you play with in order to balance the game. Do you play RR w/o a bid, no RR w/o a bid? If you play without RR it should be noted that all of the online clubs play with a bid in order to give the Axis a fair chance to win. This being said Russia should be able to hold off Germany for quite a while in Karelia, and it therefore becomes necessary for Japan to pull a rear guard pinzer move in order to break this play. If you want to see how I play the Allies check out my game with Herr Jurgen in the game section. Other than the Sink IC it is pretty much what I do as the Allies.

• Just a quick study break! Trust me, this is much less time consuming, and requires much less concentration, than our recent jousting match. :D

BTW - I only play the oldest version of A&A. Please explain about RR, bids, etc.

Danke.

• But I thought we were on the same side and largely in agreement. Afterall I kind of realized you took an extreme position for the sake of argument.

I belong to an online play by email Axis and Allies club you should check out if you are this interested. Here’s the link

http://www.dicey.net/nuke/

Anyway RR refers to Russia Restricted and is the rule variant where Russia cannot attack at all on its first turn. Often this rule is used because it most closely balances the game without additonal tweeks. However, I feel it is inferior as it does not address the greatest inequity of the game which is the Axis do not have enough ground troops to effectively take and hold key positions early enough in the game. To counter this the club I’m in supports 2nd Edition play where Russia does attack on turn 1, but to counteract this the Axis is given a bid, or extra placement of units prior to Russia1. This can take a variety of forms and is dependent upon what you agree to play the Axis with. In this club all bids are sealed therefore you guess what this will be say 21ipcs of units or 7inf. If you are the lowest then you get it and can decide where to place it. Most players have decided the minimum the Axis needs to be competitive is 21ipcs worth of units, and some go as high as 24 with most of it going to Germany. Obviously you could see how it affects their options if Germany is given 5 extra infantry in Libya, or 7extra intantry in Ukraine. In fact it can make some Russia 1 attacks not worthwhile as is the case with 6-7infantry bid into the Ukraine.

• 2007 AAR League

Karelia, as a friend was said, “Is a giant teeter-totter.” Whoever controls it controls the war on the Eastern Front :D.

• I sometimes prefer to use the Russians (especially if I’m playing in a group with Newbies). The reason is because of their incredibly strategic location! In Karelia, just wait for Germany to move its navy from Germany and build (a) sub(s) and spawn them in Germany’s harbor so they can’t build there (with a combined effort with your allies, this is an effective strategy). Japan does prove difficult, however, but strategic placement of an IC will take care of that if Japan isn’t quick. Just buy tons of infrantry at the beginning and you’ll be fine (usually, in my experience).

• @Ze:

I sometimes prefer to use the Russians (especially if I’m playing in a group with Newbies). The reason is because of their incredibly strategic location! In Karelia, just wait for Germany to move its navy from Germany and build (a) sub(s) and spawn them in Germany’s harbor so they can’t build there (with a combined effort with your allies, this is an effective strategy). Japan does prove difficult, however, but strategic placement of an IC will take care of that if Japan isn’t quick. Just buy tons of infrantry at the beginning and you’ll be fine (usually, in my experience).

as Russia, i have never:
    built a sub
    built an IC
    I do agree with the tons of infantry purchases, however.

• Russia should stay in the game indefinately that is once they are defeated unless Berlin has or will also soon fall the game is over. This is because Germany can then go after the Uk, and Japan can also go after the US. In fact it doesn’t really matter if you play well or not, as the Axis can play defensively and still win.

• Either Russia is taken out quickly or they will remain in the game for a while. It’s hard to believe Russia would be taken out on the 4-5 turn because by then they could have organized a decent defense of Moscow.

• @cystic:

as Russia, i have never:
    built a sub
    built an IC
    I do agree with the tons of infantry purchases, however.

but BBs and ACs? … cool :)
    i have built an IC with Russia (in the PC game though)… after Germany had fallen, in one of the former japanese provinces to get a navy up there quick.

• In games where the Axis is given a bid the Russians can begin to be in trouble by turn 5 or 6. This is because its usually at point that the Germans have enough quantity of troops on the ground to begin a walkthrough the Cauc strategy via Ukr in order to back Russia out of Karelia. If they can do this and have Japan at the same time take and hold Novo then its lights out for Russia sooner or later. The best tactic is to strafe Moscow with the Germans and then finish them off with the Japs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m