Poll: Real-Time or Turn-Based strategy games?

• I would first like to say I posted this poll in another section of the boards, and I think it was pulled for being off topic. My apologies to the moderators.

Anyway, I wanted to ask people about their strategy gaming preferences. I have been an avid strategy gamer ever since I got my first PC about a decade ago. I cut my teeth on classic RTS (Real-Time Strategy) games like Starcraft, Warcraft, and Age of Empires. Later I played Empire Earth so much that I developed a stress disorder in my mouse hand. Lately, and by that I mean in the last year, I’ve come to fancy turn-based strategy games more and more. I’ve started to find a lot of real-time strategy games very annoying, because I find that they involve too much frantic button pressing and memorizing dozens of hotkeys in order for someone to be really good. Computer opponents have the huge advantage of literally being able to be in 5 places at once, and I find that the winners of these games are usually those who can press buttons fastest, rather than those who have the brightest strategies. I simply am starting to think that turn-based games really allow wise tactical and strategic minds to shine. I would like to think of myself as a pretty solid tactician, and I’ve met several people who could hand me my ass in a real-time strategy game like Warcraft 3, but wouldn’t stand a chance against me in Axis & Allies, since they can’t easily win by using hotkeys and pumping out troops faster than I can.

I assume that anyone who frequents this board is a fan of strategic games, so my question to the public is this: What do you prefer? Real-time (or simultaneous movement, I suppose), or turn-based? Comments, opinions, and silly stories encouraged.

• this wasn’t pulled - just moved to Games

• I prefer turn based as well. Real time games seem free for all and the action happens much faster than it would in real time. The disadvantage of turn based it that it obviously takes much longer.

preferably with a person sitting across from me!

• '19 Moderator

I wouldn’t mind real time if I had a screen as big as my wall and the interface pluged into my brain. I just can’t keep up with the computer and I am to detail oriented in my campains. With turn based games I can make all my plans and then sit back and execute.

There are exceptions, I like the games Hearts of Iron, Victoria etc. these are real time, but you can make adjust the speed and freeze time to make plans.

• On the very core, Victoria and HoI are turn based. With one turn being “one hour” or so. That makes it pretty real time-ish though :)

I prefer turn based: i started with board games, i guess i never got over that :)

• THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME: CIVILZATION 3

I have loved the civilization series ever sense I played the first one at age 10. I have yet to find another strategy game that covers all the angles as well as civilization. The warfare, diplomacy, espionage, even the domestic side… It has everything an armchair dictator (not just general) could want! Has anyone else played the series? That is probably a stupid question on a site like this :wink:

As far as RTS’s go, I bought the first copy of warcraft 1 that was available where I lived. Man, that was a rush… I have sense played all of blizzards RTS’s, as well those released by Microsoft, Lucas Arts, and EA Games. I love test driving a new RTS, but after a while, I always find myself back in the Civilization games.

• turn based, RTSs suck. IMO age of empires (which is probably the best real time) is a brainless game, just build 50 knights, 4 trebuchets, and 100 villigers

• Yamamoto, have you played the AoE2 with the expansion pack or without?
    As with the pack … i have met exactly that attitude that you show in a handful of players … and smacked them with my goth hordes (and others). BTW … way too many villagers.

• Yamato- I recommend you try “Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour,” before you swear off rts’s all together. I do agree that turned based is better though.

• C&C Generals was TERRIBLE. the absolute WORST game in the C&C series ever. Stick with the golden age C&C games: Tiberian Sun and Red Alert. Never played the original C&C, but i hear good things.

if the cartoony nature, and horrible storyline/cinematics dont bother you, play Red Alert 2, very fun game.

as for other RTS games that are worthwhile: i would reccomend Rise of Nations, the first Empire Earth, and Star Craft (and the expansion Brood War)

• @Janus1:

and Star Craft (and the expansion Brood War)

It sucks, like most many RTS’s it comes down to who can make the most troops the fastest and send them in waves….got kinda old for me…turn-based all the way(but I do like age of empires)…

• i like turn based more over all: the Total War Series is excellent, but Starcraft is excellent. like any game, it gets old after awhile, but its great while your into it.

btw, try telling the South Koreans it sucks, :wink:

• @Janus1:

btw, try telling the South Koreans it sucks, :wink:

Nah, but Kia sucks….I hope everyone can agree with that…

• i dont think the South Korean’s even like Kia, i think its just their insulting assumption of what americans like

• @Janus1:

i dont think the South Korean’s even like Kia, i think its just their insulting assumption of what americans like

Ya, Americans like cheap, foreign pieces of crap over quality domestic products….that’s all…

• @F_alk:

Yamamoto, have you played the AoE2 with the expansion pack or without?
    As with the pack … i have met exactly that attitude that you show in a handful of players … and smacked them with my goth hordes (and others). BTW … way too many villagers.

both, but without the expanision more. i used to be a TRiK….

• @General:

Yamato- I recommend you try “Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour,” before you swear off rts’s all together. I do agree that turned based is better though.

i used to play the red alert series, and that was as much cac as i could take

• I do not understand why so many of you dislike Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour. I have played pretty much every RTS out there, and it is the most diverse of them all, in my opinion. There are so many units, tactics, and strategies to choose from. If you have good opponents, no two games are ever the same.

• well i havent played Generals zero hour, maybe i should give it a try.
    IMO the best strategy games for the computer are the total war series

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m