"The contentious board game Monopoly…."

• Here’s an amusing article about a fellow category of board gamers: Monopoly players.  It describes, among other things, the top 10 cheating tactics in Monopoly and the top 10 reasons to fight over Monopoly, and it gives the astonishing statistic – based on a Hasbro survey of 2,000 adult Monopoly players – that 51 per cent of Monopoly games end in a verbal or physical dispute.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/hasbro-offers-u-k-hotline-to-curb-monopoly-fights-at-christmas-1.3209406

• Excellent Marc.
    I love Monopoly, but hate how other people play it.
    Have not played with my wife and sister in laws since Christmas eight or ten years ago. I do not trade and they started horse trading amongst themselves, when I was so far ahead. I lost and was in a foul mood for the rest of the day. I was even rude to my mother in law about her choice of tv programme. And she had not even played!
    My seven year old has cheated at Junior Monopoly, ever since we bought it for her. I think she will be a worse sport than me. She hates losing.

• @wittmann:

She hates losing.

In fairness, most people do.  There was an amusing line in an early episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation in which Commander Riker was trying to explain to Worf that team sports are all about having fun and making friends, not about being victorious at all costs.  Worf’s retort was basically: If winning isn’t important, then why bother to keep score?

• I love Monopoly. But every time you play someone new they have their own interpretation of the rules and are incredibly unwilling to consider the possibility that the way their family has always played might be incorrect.

Obviously their family must be wrong because mine is always right!

Thank the heavens that A&A has such clear and easy to understand rules. :-)

• @Private:

And it’s also fortunate that all A&A players always play strictly by the book rather than coming up with their own, um, house rules.

• @Private:

I love Monopoly. But every time you play someone new they have their own interpretation of the rules and are incredibly unwilling to consider the possibility that the way their family has always played might be incorrect.

Obviously their family must be wrong because mine is always right!

That is exactly the biggest problem with Monopoly. No one actually plays by the rules particularly the one about auctioning off landed on but unbought properties.

• @frimmel:

That is exactly the biggest problem with Monopoly. No one actually plays by the rules particularly the one about auctioning off landed on but unbought properties.

Monopoly is in distinguished company from that point of view.  The Kriegsspiel wargaming system devised by Georg Heinrich Rudolf von Reiswitz for the Prussian Army – which unlike his father’s original version was intended to be a serious military training tool, and was played on actual military maps – was criticized by many officers as being too rigid and clumsy, and apparently its rules weren’t always followed to the letter when it was played.  Some officers also questioned the realism of its dice roll result tables, and argued that as a training tool it needed to have more flexibility in order to provide a greater range of lessons.  After von Reiswitz died, his original rigid system was tossed out the window and replaced by what could be called the ultimate house-rule: the idea of putting most of the decision-making power into the hands of the umpire.  Under the old rigid system, the umpire was basically just somebody who computed combat results based on the game’s prescribed statistical tables; in the new “free” system, the umpire “went from being a calculator to God” as one writer once put it.

• Customizer

Monopoly was ruined when they added hotels. The pure version is all about trading the limited number of houses - hence monopoly.

I did an Axis and Allies Monopoly board once. Never got beyond that.

A&AMonoployPNG.png

• @Flashman:

I did an Axis and Allies Monopoly board once. Never got beyond that.

Interesting idea.  I imagine that Industrial Complexes would serve the function of houses/hotels?

• I’ve played monopoly with 2 boards side by side and can’t build any hotels. You need doubles rolled to jump from board to board.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m