Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ

• This movie looks very good! How many of you are interested?

• Yea, it looks pretty cool and I’ll probably see it.

• Religious fundamentalism at it’s worst…

• '19 Moderator

Option #3 Who cares?

• I don’t go to movies to get some sort of religious affirmation, I go to be entertained. I don’t know that this movie would be the sort of thing I’m likely to go see.

• Dezertfish, I almost put that option! :lol:
    I myself am religious, but thats just me!

• GI, thats the same reason i go. and i think the movie would be entertaining. a friend of mine went and thought it was awesome, and we like the same movies, and he is like me on religion.

• I think thats a republican thing! :lol: :D

• @MuthaRussia:

I think thats a republican thing! :lol: :D

Yes, we always inject cold-blooded logic into our entertainment decisions.

• @Yanny:

Religious fundamentalism at it’s worst…

This is anti-Christian ignorance at its worst.
    I found the movie to be quite an accurate depiction of what the Bible describes - i.e. the most important part of the most important story for millions of people all over the world.
    For those looking to be entertained - i would say look elsewhere. This is not entertaining per se (unless you find the torture and crucifiction of a man amusing in which case you’re just sick).

• I agree CC, that was the most bullcrap in one sentance! :x :evil:
    I guess Yanny is atheist! :evil:
    But even an atheist should be moved by that movie! :evil:

• I might be moved in that man’s cruelty to other men never ceases to amaze me. I would not be moved in any spiritual sense. It was not such a great sacrifice on his part.

waits for the flames to begin

~cheers

• @MuthaRussia:

…I guess Yanny is atheist! :evil:

Wait a second….

Why an evil face just because someone seems to be an atheist? I have only one explanation for it: Only fundamentalists turn angry when someone is sharing their beliefs.
    And then this “but even”-sentence… sigh
    wasn’t forgiveness-no-matter-what the one most important and new part in JC’s philosophy?

• It’s the way he forced his opinion. I’m not really a radical fanatic religion-wise, but I still believe that we weren’t placed here by no one whatsoever… Sorry If i seemed p’d off, I have a tendency to get mad easily! :oops:

• you tried to force ur opinion as well, by suggesting that atheism is bad. also, yanny is a self-described agnostic.

from what ive heard, ill love the movie, but not be moved in any spiritual sense.

also, more of an ideology question, but why would Jesus have been born solely to suffer and die for the sins of man?

@Janus1:

also, more of an ideology question, but why would Jesus have been born solely to suffer and die for the sins of man?

The easy answer is So you don’t have to live with the consequences of Adam’s sin…also it does say in Isiah 53 that he died so that we don’t have to carry sickness in our bodies…

GG

• 1. if we are forgiven for adam’s sins, why are we not back in the garden of eden?

2. we DO carry sickness in our bodies

• @F_alk:

@MuthaRussia:

…I guess Yanny is atheist! :evil:

Wait a second….

Why an evil face just because someone seems to be an atheist? I have only one explanation for it: Only fundamentalists turn angry when someone is sharing their beliefs.
    And then this “but even”-sentence… sigh
    wasn’t forgiveness-no-matter-what the one most important and new part in JC’s philosophy?

come 'on F_alk - he’s 13. Give him some time. Then he’ll be able to burn down some houses too . . . .

• @Janus1:

1. if we are forgiven for adam’s sins, why are we not back in the garden of eden?

2. we DO carry sickness in our bodies

get deeper Janus

1. for 2 reasons - 1 is that not everyone is accepting of this forgiveness and 2 is that a place has been created for our spirits in heaven. a little simplistic, i admit. Call it school-sickness.
    2. not literally sickness so much as a spiritual one.

• Janus1: Quote: why would Jesus have been born solely to suffer and die for the sins of man?

Answer: It is all part of his master plan.

He invented the system by which sins are washed away with blood; and then decided (in advance, of course) that He would sacrifice Himself to Himself for doing things He knew we would do already and that He made us capable of doing in the first place….

Get it?

Me neither.

Back to the movie:
    I’m more interested in an Xians interpretation of why the crucifiction was a sacrifice on his part. I understand the consequences of the act; what I don’t understand is how people regard the crucifiction itself as such a great (if not the greatest) sacrifice. I think most of use could agree that thousands upon thousands of people have suffered in more painful ways, for longer amounts of time. I think any of us in his position, knowing what would await us afterwards, would not hesitate to be crucified. Comments?

~cheers

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m