• '19 Moderator

Well it’s that time of year again, anyone have a permit for anything? I am sure there are other hunters here than me.

I didn’t get drawn for any thing this year, so I will probably try to get a lion later this year in November or December.

• I don’t have my permit yet,but I have a few acres of land in Ky.I will be there in time for bowhunting season.I have a field next to some woods and there is a small field that cuts into the woods(the small field is about one acre).The deer are too lazy to walk around the small field so they always cut across.So I put a brush pile in the big field near the small one.I plan to wait on the other side of the brush pile.And when they cut across I’m gonna get that buck.The best part is that they usually come by between 10 AM and 11AM so I don’t have to be up at 4AM to get out there early.ha.

• Well, unfortunately, there’s nothing to hunt here in Kuwait, but in Wisconsin there are probably more deer than people, and I am sure several members of my family will get one.

• Sice i’m moving the family back to NY I’ll not be hunting this season.
    Ther’re some targets at the range that’ll be in bad shape…

• Just wondering, how long will the food supply of a full-gorwn buck last you?

• @TG:

Just wondering, how long will the food supply of a full-gorwn buck last you?

Not really sure, I know a good-sized whitetail will be around 150-200 pounds (I think) but I’m not sure what you get when it’s cleaned and dressed. It does add some variety for those who enjoy adding meat to their diet.

@Grigoriy:

Well, unfortunately, there’s nothing to hunt here in Kuwait, but in Wisconsin there are probably more deer than people, and I am sure several members of my family will get one.

Oh, you haven’t heard of Ammunition wasting… shoot you can’t do that… 8) … oh nevermind

• '19 Moderator

If you Get a deer that is 200lb on the hoof you are looking at about 50 lbs of meat, depending on how you have it butchered. The Mule deer out here in the west tend to get a bit larger than that. Although in some states you can bring home more than one. For example In Louisiana I believe you can take 5 deer a year.

When I am lucky enough to bring home an elk, I don’t have to buy meat for a year. Of course that is just my wife and two small kids. And a full grown elk can easily supply 120lb or more of meat.

• How is the quality of deer meat? Compared to saw a cow or chicken?

• '19 Moderator

The quality of the meat has a lot to do with how it is cared for before it gets to the butcher.

Personally I think Elk is equal to beef although much more lean. Venison is usually even more lean than Elk. The taste of the venison or elk is affected by what they eat as well.

So if you can get a nice Nebraska corn fed dear it is probably better than beef.

As for chicken, there is no bird that can compare with a thick slab of red meat!

• @TG:

How is the quality of deer meat? Compared to saw a cow or chicken?

Venison is tougher than most meat from domestic animals, and it also has a different taste.

• Venisons good though.

MMMMmmmm…… deer heart rules!

um, my grandfather, father and uncles are taking their annual trip to maine to go hunting the week before thanksgiving.

I may be going hunting either late this season or next season once i get a rifle.

• Personally I think Elk is equal to beef although much more lean. Venison is usually even more lean than Elk. The taste of the venison or elk is affected by what they eat as well.

Besides, straight cooking it on the grill, how else can you eat Elk. I heard that Venison soup is pretty good. :)

• i had a great moosemeat stew a couple of year ago. A buddy of mine was with this aboriginal group that shot it while jacklighting up in northern Manitoba (and yes, jacklighting is illegal here . . . ).

• Well, unfortunately, there’s nothing to hunt here in Kuwait.

Hmmm… go West a country or two and I bet there’s some things to hunt. :wink:

• '19 Moderator

@TG:

Besides, straight cooking it on the grill, how else can you eat Elk. I heard that Venison soup is pretty good. :)

You can do anything with elk that you can do with beef, you just have to keep from drying it out, because it is so lean.

• I got a friend who’s whole family hunts whitetails; they make deer burgers and ‘sloppy does’. (sloppy joes…. get it?)

• Venison also makes good jerky and sausage, I also like various pickled deer organs-I forget which ones besides the heart.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m