• Or, should i say:

poor 34.8 million USies… or
    12.4 % of the US citizens are poor in one of the richest countries in the world. Surely, all of them are onlz lazy and want the state ot care for them. That must be reason why so many one-parent-families are among the poor (about 25% of them).
    Of these poor, there are 12.2 million kids, surely the most lazy of all, who don’t want to work at all for their living…

And being poor really is being poor: a familz with two kids is poor at an income of less than 18 400 US$ a year (before tax that is).

• Ummm…what’s your point F_alk?

• Falk, in a capitalist economy, you need to have poor people, thats just how it is. if you want your precious capitalism, than you need to have it. as for the poor people, thats a shame, it really is, but frankly, i dont care. im sure many of them truly are lazy, and despite your sarcastic tone, even many of the one parent households. ever cross your mind that perhaps they are drug addicted parents? or have some other problem(alcoholism, criminal record, etc) that prevents them from getting or holding a job? and i dont know where you come from, but when the number is 25%, i can still say most since 75% probably are lazy. (show me actual information showing otherwise, ill change my statement, but i would think 75% is a conservative estimate). the truth is, the poor people are in a vicious cycle. they were born into a poor family, and dont have the resources to get themselves out. it really is too bad, but its the way it is.

• the “poorest” in Canada tend to be the most overweight.
    i’m not feeling too sorry for these people.
    is the same true in the US?

• it happens sometimes, but often, the people on welfare, in soup kitchens, or begging on the street are either lazy, drunk, or both. personally, ive never encountered any genuinely poor (as in poor for reasons beyond their control) people, except for people that my mom’s charity group deals with, and i have been to areas where poor people would be, so it is not a case of being sheltered.

• @Janus1:

it happens sometimes, but often, the people on welfare, in soup kitchens, or begging on the street are either lazy, drunk, or both. personally, ive never encountered any genuinely poor (as in poor for reasons beyond their control) people, except for people that my mom’s charity group deals with, and i have been to areas where poor people would be, so it is not a case of being sheltered.

Janus is completely correct, I’ve had first hand experience with that exact scenario. :(

• The “poor” in the US have infinately better lives than the poor in say, Uganda. Hell, better than the average citizen in most 3rd world nations.

• exactly, you need the poor in this society, and most people who are poor, are there because they deserve to be, sadly enough this is not the same with the Rich and wealthy. Alot of people are there because of their parents but not because of their own conduct and deeds.

• isnt f_alk from germany?

isnt the unemployment rate in germany a LOT higher than us minimum wage?

doesnt germany have basicly a monopoly on the cruise ship builing industry?

if im rite about all of these, then: I’m sry dude, not all countryies can afford t have an unemployment check that high, get over it.

• isnt the unemployment rate in germany a LOT higher than us minimum wage?

apples and oranges my friend… :wink:

• Oh, seems like i have to agree with D:S again…
    asi had to read dkj’s post twice to understand what his comparison means.

• @NatFedMike:

exactly, you need the poor in this society, and most people who are poor, are there because they deserve to be, sadly enough this is not the same with the Rich and wealthy. Alot of people are there because of their parents but not because of their own conduct and deeds.

This is what I don’t like about capitalist societies; rich people who got that way through inheritance. I have no problem with people who have lots of money because of their work ethic or intelligence, but people who have stuff but didn’t work for it I do have a problem with. This is why I’m for a high estate tax.

• i basicly meant to say that just cuz germany can afford to put unemployment checks so high, doesnt mean that the US can do the same

the comparrison was just to show that u get more for not working in germany than for working at mcdonalds in america.

if im wrong obout this please tell me, i’ll graciously apologize for my ignorance

• I think the German unemployment rate is about the same as the US. They’ve just had the problem for a few extra years.

Both economies, thankfully, seem to be recovering.

• @Grigoriy:

@NatFedMike:

exactly, you need the poor in this society, and most people who are poor, are there because they deserve to be, sadly enough this is not the same with the Rich and wealthy. Alot of people are there because of their parents but not because of their own conduct and deeds.

This is what I don’t like about capitalist societies; rich people who got that way through inheritance. I have no problem with people who have lots of money because of their work ethic or intelligence, but people who have stuff but didn’t work for it I do have a problem with. This is why I’m for a high estate tax.

my problem with this is:
    who the hell are you to tell me what i can do with my money? I’ve worked hard for it, i’ve paid taxes on it (several times on occassion), and you are going to tax it again when i die? So now my family has to pay for a funeral with fewer resources than i might otherwise have handed down through an inheritance?
    The government is into too much already. They tax the wealthy enough (depending on what country you are in - here it drives many Canadians south), and they want to tax money that i’ve been taxed on again after i die? And what if i wish to leave a large portion to charities? (as my grandparents did - my mom and her sibs may have received 25% of my grandparents estate because of their wishes to give to charitible institutions. Now you are going to take from these as well?
    I agree with taxes. They are a necessary evil. But don’t tax the same income so bloody many times.
    For me, i don’t care who inherits what. Their parents worked hard - if they can provide something to offset the sorrow of their death, then why does it make sense that the gov’t has a claim on it? And if their children “deserve” it, then great - maybe they’ll do something worthwhile with it and if they didn’t, then they will lose it, and suffer as the foolish people they are. None of my business.

• I agree with your points CC, and would like to revise my previous statement. I have nothing against giving to charities, etc., what I’m against is large inheritances. Passing money down to your children is one thing, but insuring that they never have to find out what working is like is another thing. I just want the playing field leveled out a little.

• I like taxing heritages. I mean, you can easily make the first 500,000 bucks tax free, and then tax the hell out of the amount above that.
    Charities, who are exempt from taxes, should be exempt from that too. But anyone who has to tax his income should have to pay for that too.
    And i don’t think that you can be stupid enough to lose everything once your money has reached a certain threshold.

I am not against the “rich” (unfortunately, the about half of USies seem to think they belong to the top or will soon be there… not noticing how rich you really have to be there, but still they go spastic as soon as soon as someone targets those on the very top), i am against the superrich. If you earn 10 - 100 millions a year, then you come close to the superrich. And they should just take up the responsibility these enormous riches give to them for the society.

• @F_alk:

I am not against the “rich” , i am against the superrich.If you earn 10 - 100 millions a year, then you come close to the superrich. And they should just take up the responsibility these enormous riches give to them for the society

10-100 million? I would say that makes you superrich. I question whether anyone who makes that much possibly deserves it. I also believe that people who have that kind of money should do something for society, but they’re the ones who made it and I’m not going to go harass them to give it all away.

• @Grigoriy:

@F_alk:

I am not against the “rich” , i am against the superrich.If you earn 10 - 100 millions a year, then you come close to the superrich. And they should just take up the responsibility these enormous riches give to them for the society

10-100 million? I would say that makes you superrich. I question whether anyone who makes that much possibly deserves it. I also believe that people who have that kind of money should do something for society, but they’re the ones who made it and I’m not going to go harass them to give it all away.

Unless it’s to the government when they die, right? :(

What a bunch of crap. You single out the so-called “superrich” people and claim it’s okay to do so becuase they have so much money they probably didn’t earn it. Ironically, nobody says anything about this. Now, what if I was to single out the so-called “superpoor” people and tell them that they had to pay taxes too? All hell would break loose. I’d be labeled as “uncompassionate”, “heartless”, and “greedy.”

It basically comes down to the point of who the hell do you think you are, trying to take what belongs to me? The only reason you’re not labelled a thief is because you’re trying to steal the money by use of the government. :-?

Why are you more concerned about what individuals are making rather than what the government is making? :o You’re worried about making a crapload of money that you don’t deserve, well…does the government deserve it? Of course they do…some of it. But, they’ll take whatever you give them, and once they’ve satisfied the needs of the basic neccessities (defense, judicial, etc.) then they’ll waste it on needless social programs. :roll:

• im against people who inherit enough money that they never work as well, but you cant really do anything to stop it without being grossly unfair. I think what should happen is, you dont get the inheritance until an older age, so that you have to hold a job for so long, or you have to hold a job for x number of years to get the inheritance. this way, the govt does not take your money unfairly, but you have done something to deserve it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m