Historical Flaws of the US Democrat and Republican parties..

• 2 off the top of my head:

GOP:
    Coming up with the Contract with America, passing
    7 of 10 items then letting President Clinton take Credit for it.

Dems:
    1968 Convention in Chicago

• I see…

Teej is leaning a little to the left(coast that is.)

Good ones Sherm!

• @El:

Methinks that we have seen the shadow of a F_alseF_alk.
    …for the return of…
    SuperF_alk!

lol

• Just keep in mind, up until Teddy Roosevelt switched everything around, the Republicans were the Liberal party and the Democrats were the conservative party.

Mistakes by Democrats:

The Civil War
    Reconstruction

Mistakes by Republicans:

Andrew Johnson’s impeachment
    The 1920s

• The 1920s

LOL Yanny, I know what youre saying, but be more specific.

• @Yanny:

Mistakes by Democrats:

The Civil War
    Reconstruction

Are we talking about the Congress, the Southern Democrats, or who here? This part of US history I’m a little fuzzy on…

• The Civil War? Where are the democrats in this?

• I’m not sure…I know that by 1860 we had Democrats and Republicans because Lincoln was the first Republican president, so there were Democrats, I’m just trying to figure out why it was the Democrats’ fault.

• i dont know what yanny is trying to say, but the majority of southerners were democrat, so that might be what he means

• I see.

• The Democrats basically went “Don’t elect us and we leave the Union”, causing the civil war.

The Republicans during the 1920s set up the Great Depression.

• Go on.

• Reconstruction - Southern Democrats basically worked to counter anything the Northerners tried to build. Especially when it came to civil rights. We could of ended 1866-1970 style racism right there, but we didn’t.

• What are you talking about, Republicans stripped many whites in the South of the right to vote… :-? Also the Republicans were out for revenge against the South.

• @Yanny:

The Democrats basically went “Don’t elect us and we leave the Union”, causing the civil war.

The Republicans during the 1920s set up the Great Depression.

Actually the Dmoecrats split into two parties in the election of Lincoln. To southerners the election of Lincoln was the ultimate offense against them because he was for making new states free soil. The Republicans of the 19th century were the more progressive and liberal party and the Democrats of the 19th century were the more conservative party. Nowadays that seems to have reversed.

• the republicans stripped former confederates of the right to vote, and those in states who they hadnt formally allowed back into the union

• the republicans stripped former confederates of the right to vote, and those in states who they hadnt formally allowed back into the union

That’s also because Republicans in Congress reversed the conditions set forth by Lincoln for readmittance into the Union - making them much more strict.

• I find it interesting that most of the events/actions we’ve mentioned and the couple discussed are from long ago.

As stated when the parties stood for something they don’t now.

The last of the Democrats to vote against Civil Rights are retired from the Senate and the House, too, I think.

We don’t really know the truth about Watergate. I know G. Gordon Liddy is still sueing John Dean over some things he said. Supposedly he ratted everybody out his own way to cover his sas.

• I hear enough bitching from both sides about recent events. More interesting to debate history :)

Its a shame 'ole Abe was killed, our country might be a much better place.

• Or would it?! He twisted the US Constitution more than any president. Clinton and Nixon would be minor league to his All-Star status.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m