• I have found a foolproof russian strat that I have not been able to beat.

If you play that russia can attack in the first turn, Russia then takes the offensive. I do not remember the names of the territories but there are 3 that are german and one Russian. The russians launch an attack from Karelia to the german territory in the middle. By taking over this territory the russians cut the supply lines and germany is not able to launch an immediate attack on karelia. I have attacked the other two german territories just to wear them down, and had great success. By the time germany can laucnch a Karelian attack Karelia has too many inf on it defending. As far as Japan goes. By the time Japan is knocking at the eastern door to Russia Karelia is huge and Russia can divert back to the capital. Russia then plays it safe and waits fro GB and US to take the pressure off.
    Can you guys play this out a few times and see what can be done to beat it.

MIKE

• I am not sure about your specific tactics, but you are right. If Russia is allowed to attack on their first turn and there is no bid the allies are pretty much guranteed victory in advanced games. This is why that you have to either play RR or with bids. In beginner games you don’t need RR, because the allies have not learned how to coordinate themselves well enough yet.

The only other way I can see to beat the allies in a non RR/bid game is to supply the Germans with lots of gasoline and styrofoam peanuts.

• '19 Moderator

@C_F:

The only other way I can see to beat the allies in a non RR/bid game is to supply the Germans with lots of gasoline and styrofoam peanuts.

:lol: LMAO

• No one is liable to play this out, beacause as it is, the Allies win 80% of the time. If Russia attacks on the first turn, you can increase that to 95%.

BTW, before posting it´s usually a good idea to get the names of the territories that you´re talking about.

• LMAO, though I prefer cashews!

• @mwiley8808:

I have found a foolproof russian strat that I have not been able to beat.

If you play that russia can attack in the first turn, Russia then takes the offensive. I do not remember the names of the territories but there are 3 that are german and one Russian. The russians launch an attack from Karelia to the german territory in the middle. By taking over this territory the russians cut the supply lines and germany is not able to launch an immediate attack on karelia. I have attacked the other two german territories just to wear them down, and had great success. By the time germany can laucnch a Karelian attack Karelia has too many inf on it defending. As far as Japan goes. By the time Japan is knocking at the eastern door to Russia Karelia is huge and Russia can divert back to the capital. Russia then plays it safe and waits fro GB and US to take the pressure off.
    Can you guys play this out a few times and see what can be done to beat it.

MIKE

So you’re talking about taking Eastern Europe first. It’s not a terrible idea, however the Germans just fall back from Ukraine. Also i think that if you hit Ukraine first you may neutralize one more tank. In order for Germany to retake it you will stretch out their supply lines early. I presume the “other 2” are Finland and Ukraine?
    I agree with the others. Allowing an Attack by Russia in the first turn basically means that you could invade Japan without worrying too much. . . .

• Thanks guys for showing me that I must be on another level of play than the basic directions. What is the RR you speak of and what is the bidding. I hae never heard of bidding. How and whay do you do it. Is there a posot I can read that explains it well. I might have to begin playing that way as the basic is just way to simple.
    MIKE

• RR is Russia Restricted and it prevents Russia from attacking on their first turn. They can buy and move units, just no attacking. Bids are a way of balancing out the game. As you have seen from previous posts the Allies usually win, even with RR. So two players would bid to see who has to play the axis. Who ever is willing to play the axis with the least amount of help wins the bid. So one player bids 25 IPC’s, the other bids 22, and back and forth until the other player will not go any lower. Let’s say the winning bid is 15. The player who wins the bid at 15 gets to place 15 IPC’s worth of units on the board, no IC’s though, and you can only place German units on German territories and Japanese units on Japanese territories. You can also play that the winning bid just gets the money and buys the units at the beginning of his turn.

• @C_F:

RR is Russia Restricted and it prevents Russia from attacking on their first turn. They can buy and move units, just no attacking. Bids are a way of balancing out the game. As you have seen from previous posts the Allies usually win, even with RR. So two players would bid to see who has to play the axis. Who ever is willing to play the axis with the least amount of help wins the bid. So one player bids 25 IPC’s, the other bids 22, and back and forth until the other player will not go any lower. Let’s say the winning bid is 15. The player who wins the bid at 15 gets to place 15 IPC’s worth of units on the board, no IC’s though, and you can only place German units on German territories and Japanese units on Japanese territories. You can also play that the winning bid just gets the money and buys the units at the beginning of his turn.

Been playing lots of tourny’s lately, and never heard of a bid process like that before. Usally it starts with 0 and goes up. Cause if someone started at 25, i’ll take the axis everytime and have my opponent concede to me after Germany’s first turn.

• I thought if someone bids say 25, that means they will be axis. Then you would counter with a lower bid. The bidding would continue until one player decides to not go lower. If you are bidding up that would be sayingyou are willing to be allies at the bid level. Capice?

• Yeah, the bidding process can go up or down. If it starts at 0 and goes up the first person to speak up gets the axis. If you start high and go down the last person to speak up gets the axis

• Is this option on the PC game?

• Not sure about the original PC game, but Iron Blitz sure has it.

You can set Russia Restricted from the preferences. There, you can also adjust the initial income of countries, so it’s easy to give Germany extra IPCs on the first turn.

In my experience though, you don’t need RR or extra IPCs when playing against the computer. The AI simply sux0rz.

For multiplayer, just chat away and figure out what the German player gets.

Cheers!

• It works that way with the A&A PC game as well, but Bolter is correct the AI is just plain bad in the game. In fact I have said this before if you want any challenge out of the computer game double the opposing teams forces for more fun :D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m