Easy to kick the Russians out of Moscow!

• Greetz,
    I consider my strategy as the best one for the axis to get in the possesion of Moscow: Russia purchases eight infantry to make their defense stronger, and will send a couple of units to fight against japan in the east. It is easy for the Germans to purchase six tanks and move all the units (including the important infantry) towards the eastern frontline. They should use their air and navy units to destroy the british fleet. They have a very strong backup and a strong defense so an invasion is impossible. They also should attack anglo egypt sudan with amphibious assault to make a victory in africa sure.
    If the UK doesnt want to lose africa they should leave asia, they couldnt to much damage in europe either.
    With the Japanese your strong fleet should be used to destroy the americans (Hawaii) and you should purchase an IC (french indo china birma) and land units to force Russia to fight against two strong forces.
    America should force the Japanese not to pay all their attention to destroying the Russians but also to defend at sea (Hawaii Isl. ,Midway Isl. , Caroline Isl.).
    When the russians have purchased again infantry units to make the defense stronger you should attack karelia with al your German forces (including all the air units). The UK is to weak to be dangerous for the Germans. Japan could fight a little bit in the eastern Sowjet
    Union and defend a little bit at sea or purchase armor in burma.
    The USA must first build up a newe fleet to be able to be dangerous for the axis. In the next turn the Russian defense is to weak so you can capture Moscow. If you pay attention to your defense you will at lest capture Moscow in Turn 4 and the Japanese could support the Germans. When you have Moscow it is easy to win if you just look after your defense and use your higher income to contain africa and asia and then start dominating the sea with the axis. We just play following the rules in the second edition manual. So, just a stupid strategy of a rookie or a great way to win?
    Any reactions? :P PiM23

• What if Russia attacks Ukrane, East Europe, or Finland :D turn one ? They will more then likly win that with their tanks. Also, if the UK buys an AC :D and the US player sticks his ftrs :D on it? And what if the UK gets his forces from australia with the indian trans :D and hits indo-china hard and takes it? Is this your first game? Cause that a pretty common thing for a first timer, and its not bad or anything but play more cause you will find that the allies have ways to stop it :wink:.

• He’s not playing RR…

That give you about a 1% chance of winning if there is any at all

• I’ve found it a little harder to capture Karelia as Germany than you make it seem, and by taking the Caucasus the Russians can easily wipe out anything that might remain. Then, what if the US decides to pressure Germany, as they often do? This creates a serious dilema for Germany; should they press the offensive in Russia or bolster their defenses to counter the ever increasing horde of Americans being massed in the UK?

• This is a lose-lose situation. Either you cover your arse in Eastern Europe (don’t even think of taking Karelia - you’ll screw yourself) or Western Europe - it’s very hard to do both.

• @PiM23:

America should force the Japanese not to pay all their attention to destroying the Russians but also to defend at sea (Hawaii Isl. ,Midway Isl. , Caroline Isl.). …
    The USA must first build up a newe fleet to be able to be dangerous for the axis. …
    So, just a stupid strategy of a rookie or a great way to win?
    Any reactions? :P PiM23

Well, i would say: anything where the US is fighting japanese forces on their own will sounds like a bad strategy.
    Build trannies and inf for the US, and send them to europe.

• If you ever hear a strategy thats basically “Purchase all tanks and attack” you know its doomed to fail.

• @Yanny:

If you ever hear a strategy thats basically “Purchase all tanks and attack” you know its doomed to fail.

unless you’re Japan and its your first turn :lol:

• Ha, yeah, if you’re TM :x :wink:

• The worst is when you take Karelia & STILL can’t take Moscow! This happens to me all the time whenever the Japan player hasn’t made signifigant inroads against Russia in the East. That’s where I learned to not bother to take Karelia (barring extremely favorable circumstances) until Japan is really wailing on USSR. If you take Karelia while USSR territory is still basically intact, USSR will turtle in Moscow and just keep cranking out INF until another Ally comes along to even the odds. They move before anybody, and so they will almost always be able to build more guys in USSR than you can move into (or build) in Karelia. The only way to prevent this is to cripple USSR economically BEFORE the final assault on Moscow–and the only way to do that is by Japan seizing a LOT of USSR territory.

See, the problem is that Karelia is always a vast USSR fortress. After you take the fortress, your assault forces are greatly weakened & must be reinforced in order to take Moscow. Therefore, USSR usually has a 1-2 turn “build-lead” on you from the start of the campaign. That’s fine if you’ve got say 46 IPC’s income and he/she’s got only 18-21, but you’ve first got to build the units, and then move them to the battle front. Then you’ve got to maintain your humongous income lead for several turns in order to win the buildup race–to do that you’ve got to defend all your territory in Africa & Europe from the Western Allies–that means some of those 46 IPCs have to go to defense. Usually it takes 2-3 turns AFTER you take Karelia to build up sufficient strike force to take Moscow–all the while the Allies are doing their best to prevent this.

There are two basic ways to win this campaign & seize Moscow–combine them and you’ve got an effective strategy: 1.) You’ve got to slow down USSR’s buildup. The way you do this is by taking as much USSR territory as possible & holding it–Japan is the obvious player for this job since he’s got the best access to USSR’s soft underbelly. Strategic bombing also helps a bit, but the 2 Axis powers need to work together for this to be successful since neither can afford to buy a fleet of bombers. 2.) You’ve got to plan ahead before you attack Karelia so that you can move the maximum # of troops in the turn after Karelia is taken. One way is to build all INF the turn BEFORE you attack Karelia so you can move them into Eastern Europe as soon as Karelia is taken. Then you build all armor so that the turn after Karelia is taken ALL the INF & ALL the ARM can move straight to the front. To do this you’ve got to be able to envision the situation up to 3 turns in advance–if this is you, you can call yourself an “advanced” A & A player. :D

Ozone27

• my strat is that germany just defend against the ussr while japan assaults moscow defeting them ussr will then use its troops in karila and the cacus and conter attack taking moscow germany then takes karila and the cacus and the japan retakes moscow, germany gets to take any remaining russian territories.

• that was me. opps

• I don’t think Germany will ever be in a position to take Karelia, except maybe the first turn.

• As the Japanese take Evenki Nat’l Okrug, Novosibirsk, and Kazakh SSR, the Russians will run out of money and will start fighting a war of attrition against the Japanese, but they will only be able to afford infantry and will have to funnel some orces from Karelia to Moscow if the Japanese are strengthening. Germany does eventually get equal odds for an assault on Karelia. I’ve seen it happen many times.

• Where is US and UK during this time? If Germany is able to mount an offensive on Karelia that late into that game - then I would say that SOME of the Allies aren’t doing their job right.

• @GeZe:

my strat is that germany just defend against the ussr while japan assaults moscow defeting them ussr will then use its troops in karila and the cacus and conter attack taking moscow germany then takes karila and the cacus and the japan retakes moscow, germany gets to take any remaining russian territories.

in my strategy Germany can focus on africa and UK/USA, it just has to keep indo bombing russia to help japan and also to stack infantry on its russian borders to repel an attack and to be used when it invades.

• @TG:

Where is US and UK during this time? If Germany is able to mount an offensive on Karelia that late into that game - then I would say that SOME of the Allies aren’t doing their job right.

The Americans were pouring troops into Russia via Finland and the British were mounting a retalitory strike against the Germans in Africa, which began to threaten me in Asia as Japan. But I had 3 ICs in Asia by then so I was puring out 8 tanks a turn to threaten Moscow, form Yalut, Indo and India. The Russians just couldnt keep up and eventually fell.

• I’m still not sure where the Germans would fit into this?

• Elementary, my dear TG. The Germans were able to take the Caucasus now that the Russians were forced into funneling forces to defend Moscow. Eventually as they stack in Eastern Europe, their odds of success in an attack on Karelia become equal to that of a failure. This is the time for them to take the risk and attack. The Germans will most likely not get another chance because of the British drive through Africa which the Japanese qwill also have to defend against. If the Germans succeed, the Americans will most likely be unable to retake Karelia on one turn which will leave Russia battered and will give either Germany or Japan the opportunity she needs to take Moscow.

• With the Allies able to put 10-20 inf on Finland/Karelia each turn, I see this hard to believe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m