• Just a thought. Since Japanese rely on Air power in the beginning of the Asia campaign, would there be benefit in Russia building an AA gun in the first turn and Moving the AA gun on Moscow towards Yakut. It could arrive on R2 to ward off a J2 assault.

Opinions?

• 5 IPC isn’t worth the chances of knocking out a Japanese ftrs (the odds are not with you). AA guns are much better suited against SBRs. You could still try however, but I much rather buy an ARM.

• 2007 AAR League

I agree, I just don’t think it’s worth it. However, everyone has their own opinion.

• It’s a good thought because let’s face it in the beginning Japanese offense is supplied solely through air… i wouldn’t though and i’ll give my reasons:

First, it’s five IPCs that means another infantry and in the beginning Russia needs every INF that she can get a hold of. And really, in turn 1 it costs Russia effectively 2 INF because instead of standard 8 INF buy she would only be able to do 6 INF + AA gun so you really lose 2 INF. That can make a big difference this early in the game.

Second, as TG Moses VI said the odds aren’t with you on any single attack… I would say unless Japan massed air but usually it’s just 1 fighter here, 2 there, maybe 1 fighter and a bomber… but if they were to send say 4 air on one attack then maybe it could be justified for that battle alone…

Third unless you’re playing with scorched earth if Japan gets it it’s a free AA gun they can put down in Manch or India or wherever they have an IC. Though this latter is kind of an after-the-fact issue.

It’s an interesting thought but I think on R1, R2 especially you want every single possible INF you can get… at least that’s my thought on the issue.

If you do play that scenerio one time do post and let us know how it turned out.

• well, if the usa screws up the transport thing, and has an open transport (I usually mess it up)
    you can always move the aa gun to finland, then later karelia, and free the other 2 up.

• @lnxduk:

well, if the usa screws up the transport thing, and has an open transport (I usually mess it up)
    you can always move the aa gun to finland, then later karelia, and free the other 2 up.

That’s a good point. The US AA guns tend to gather dust anyway, so shipping them to Europe might make them useful.

It could be argued that the Russain player might chose to build 8 inf and move the AA to Nov. This would leave the German player with a choice to either SBR Moscow, or use the BMB in sinking the UK fleet as usual.
    If the German player goes for SBR, then the Allied fleet has a higher chance of survival/causing Luftwaffe casualties.

The main goal I see in moving an AA gun to the East front (besides possibly downing planes) is to make the Japanese player hesitate. Since strafing with a few inf and some planes would become too risky. The Japanese player would most likely wait until it was certain that the territory could be taken.

• I agree, the AA-gun from America isn’t a bad one at all. It’s not like anybody would miss it anyways :)

• I concur with moving the US aa gun; however, on the round that this occurs (moving from FIN to KAR) … Russia has to move both of her aa’s (KAR to MOS, MOS to NOV) before the US can move the aa gun into KAR. Thus, KAR will be w/o aa protection from SBR for the entire turn. So if Germany performs any SBR’s (which any German player would), Russia may possibly lose the 5 ipcs that it would have cost to just buy the aa itself in the first place.

If the move was made at the “right” time (i.e. German bomber in Africa or something along those lines), it would be a flawless decision – until it falls into Japanese hands!

• Thus, KAR will be w/o aa protection from SBR for the entire turn. So if Germany performs any SBR’s (which any German player would), Russia may possibly lose the 5 ipcs that it would have cost to just buy the aa itself in the first place.

Normally after G1 the bomber isn’t going after anything other than a stray transport if the allies are not careful enough and leave one open for attack… which means an SBR is almost a gimme against an unguarded Russian IC. Russia has enough economic problems in the beginning anyways and you figure a decent German hit against them will cost 1-2 INF.

BUT on the other hand, if you could establish a decent defense in the east and get the AA guns there, Japan’s entire early offensives against Asia are almost entirely reliant on air power (in my games Japan doesn’t get tanks rolling until an IC on the mainland and then still until after enough transports are in the Japan SZ) so that could cost Japan a plane here or a plane there and they have to wonder is it worth it?

• I agree – it would be VERY useful with a decent size force of infantry units. But, bringing it from the US – probably will end up costing the Russians anyways (via SBR) and it will take a couple of turns before moving it is possible (which may be to late to be useful against Japan) … so, why not just buy it on R1 (if you want to try this out)?

Not to mention, I would rather have the US transport 2 infantry over vs. 1 aa gun.

• if you allow more than one aa gun in a region, then it works, otherwise, it’s not as good.

• @lnxduk:

if you allow more than one aa gun in a region, then it works, otherwise, it’s not as good.

Erh….besides from being ‘house-rules’ then the it would have the huge side effect, that you get to roll 2+ dices against every plane…making it very risky to involve any planes in a ground attack, but hey - it could bee worth the try to allow it :)

• i like the america AA idea, but instead of shipping it to finland and beginning the long walk, why not move it to alaska then ship it across to siberia?, then once you capture manchuria, you can move it in there. then the US could spend the 5 IPC’s (god knows it has enough) and re-arm the West US if it wanted to

not really worth it…the russians would do better to buy inf. and consolidate there eastern holdings…

• i think that is a good idea also since i play russia and the japanese always are buggin me when im tryin to take down germany.

i do not know what weapons will be used in world war 3 but i do know that world war 4 will be fought with rocks and sticks.
    -albert einstein

i like a man who grins when he fights.
    -winston churchill

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m