Foundations of UN or First Computer More Important?

• @Deviant:Scripter:

Yea, you’re right Yanny. Some people would even classify the abacus (sp?) as a computer.

Fully programmable is the key-word when using the term computer.
    The first fully and freely programmable computer was the Z3.

@Xi:

I think LJ is triying to ask the MAJOR event having affects to effect(???) the future AFTER 1946. …. In some ways(and not in others)ENIAC was the start of what came today. Would the transistor(post 1946) have had such a great effect if the computer were not developed? Did it take a large computer to help design,develop and/or build the transistor?

@El:

Yes, I was asking what event of 1946 had the most effect on the next 57 years. Though I do understand F_alk’s input, it did not answer my question as I tried/meant to ask it.

Well, i think my answer to what had more effect was clear: the foundation of the UN.

Xi, from what i wrote above, the ENIAC was start of not so much of what we have today. And for developing the transistor: if you have a look at AFAIR last years physics Nobel prize, there was no computer in that work for anything. They surely came later with Transistor computers helping the design for IC computers.

• I agree with CC on the UN.

Computers, we could easily do without them. Humans did for 99.9% of our race’s life. Computers have helped saved lives, but only after applying a seperate innovation which was previously related to the computer.

Terrorists, ect are not caught by computers. They are caught by people. Computers are simply a little tool they can use to help relay information. Many con men will tell you, sure all this new technology is great, but it doesn’t beat a good head on your soldiers and a smile.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m