• Falk, what the hell are diferential equations?

it was me

and shortly; it explain how a rate of change in one variable is related to other variables. And integration is the opposite (not exactly but it’s the main concept).

Serioulys YB, to know how at least the fondation of Integration/Derivation can be quite usefull in… well… most domains; sociology, physics, economy, engineering, mathematic (woooo). Sure i doupt you’ll have to solve partial derivates in your daily life but still, like Falk said it trained logic, most people will never use even algebra in their life. Before Liouville/Poincaré most mathematician believe we could explain all the world, a big modelisation as you can see, with differential equation.

Higher math is so useless.

For who ?

I still believe Newton invented Calculus simply to feel superior to everyone else.

Don’t forgert Leibniz. The fathers of calculus are Newton AND Leibniz.

• it was me

Some people are not so bright… :-?

• I figured that both Falk and Fisternis would know about Calc so because Falk posted more often I asked him.

THanks for the answers. RIght now I am taking trigonometry in order to prepare for Calculus.

• Umm, weird. I usually read these things to forget about school, and here my AP Calc class is haunting me. I feel a headache coming on. Since we know who invented it, I say we figure out how to make a time machine (which we’d probably need calc for), go back in time, and kill the inventors. What say? OK, OK. I guess the stuff isn’t so bad when you get used to it. Believe me YB, if you intend to do any science/math (of course) related field, you’d better get used to it. I’m going to major in chemistry or biochem. I hate the trig that’s used in calc, sorry about that YB, but I think trig’s the hardest. Learn it now. Differential equations are anywhere from tolerable to fun. I used to LOVE math (as in go home and do math problems to relax - until H. Pre-calculus). Sad, huh? I had no life. Fortunately, I’ve branched out.

About the reading list.
    I had to read Animal Farm, and I almost had to read 1984 this year. We had to read Great Expectations. I hate that book with a passion. I only read half of it (but the teacher explained it so well in class that I got like a 96% on the test). Ummm, Pride and Prejudice was very good. Not just the romance, but the interpretations you can get from it. I’m in AP English, so we have to tear the book apart piece by piece and write practice timed-writes (for the AP test).
    My favorites were Heart of Darkness, and Crime and Punishment.
    Ones I could have done without are any books by Charles Dickens, Romeo and Juliet (that is just so incredibly OLD and ground into the dirt), and The Great Gatsby.
    I did kind of like The Old Man and the Sea. It was sad to “see” an old man devastated like that.
    I’ll be reading Jane Eyre next. I hope it’s good.

• I did kind of like The Old Man and the Sea. It was sad to “see” an old man devastated like that.

I’m not sure you understood the story’s ending then…

Ones I could have done without are any books by Charles Dickens, Romeo and Juliet (that is just so incredibly OLD and ground into the dirt), and The Great Gatsby.

I couldn’t agree more :lol:

My favorites were Heart of Darkness, and Crime and Punishment

Yes, both are good books.

had to read Animal Farm, and I almost had to read 1984 this year. We had to read Great Expectations.

THe only one I like out of the three is 1984. :)

• 1984 is really a great book. You should read it, school or not.

• I am reading Brave New WOrld. It is actually kind of simliar to 1984, they both involve destroying the family one way or the other.

We should start a book group. Pick a book, then like two weeks later start discussing it.

• @yourbuttocks:

I am reading Brave New WOrld. It is actually kind of simliar to 1984, they both involve destroying the family one way or the other.

We should start a book group. Pick a book, then like two weeks later start discussing it.

the book group sounds good…

but i don’t agree that the main similarity between BNW and 1984 is that both involve destroying the family… i think they both include models for an authoritarian systems, 1984 using the “brute force” method, BNW the “opium for the people” method, plus manipulation of the people before they are born. With this, BNW to me seems much more “realistic”, as these two threats have not vanished, but still could easily be implemented in our world (and they are implemented already to a degree, which makes me shiver)

• I think that breaking up the family is critical to controling the population in both books. Family gives people loyalties other than to the state, encourages independent think…

• I think the main connection between the two books is complete domination of power. There is no real competition between nations, no power struggle, in either book. Sure, there was an endless world war going on in 1984, but no nation was strong enough to defeat another. Nations were free to do what they wanted.

In Brave New World, I don’t remember any competition, no other nations. But I read that a few years ago.

My point is, the books show us why we do not want one nation to rule the world.

Oh, and both nations show how Education can be a weapon. People were segregated and educated by blood type in Brave New World. The common people, the Proles, were not nearly as regulated as the party members. Instead, they were left, blinded by ignorance.

Were the Proles to revolt, the Governments could not last.

• @Yanny:

I think the main connection between the two books is complete domination of power.
    There is no real competition between nations, no power struggle, in either book. Sure, there was an endless world war going on in 1984, but no nation was strong enough to defeat another. Nations were free to do what they wanted.

@yourbuttocks:

I think that breaking up the family is critical to controling the population in both books. Family gives people loyalties other than to the state, encourages independent think…

I see your points and must admit, i didn’t think that much about them.
    I still think that the internation relations are not that important in the books, not at all mentioned in BNW… they play a role as a tool of suppression in 1984 though.
    The role of the families is interesting, especially in BNW. You can see that there is one family… and it would be interesting to analyze it… have to read the book again soon i guess.

@Yanny:

In Brave New World, I don’t remember any competition, no other nations.

There is this “outside”, the barbarians…. but that is all.

Oh, and both nations show how Education can be a weapon. People were segregated and educated by blood type in Brave New World. The common people, the Proles, were not nearly as regulated as the party members. Instead, they were left, blinded by ignorance.

Were the Proles to revolt, the Governments could not last.

Yup, Education is one of the major points. If you control the kids, you control the future.
    For “if the Proles revolted”…. well, that was covered in the book to a large degree, why it would not happen.
    Have to read 1984 as well soon again :)

• I think they should read world war 2 b/c all the punk teenagers dont know anything about the war . :evil: @Yanny:

If you had to make up a list of books that you thought that High Schools students should all read, what would they be?

For me, in no real order:

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Lost World - Michael Crichton
    Prey - Michael Crichton (new book, really a great read)
    1984 - Geoge Orwell
    When True Night Falls - C.S. Friedman

The Lost World is, in my opinion, one of the best books ever written. They ruined the movie. Definately Crichton’s best book. But his new book, Prey, comes pretty damn close to The Lost World. I read it for hours straight, I just couldn’t put it down.

When True Night Falls is a newer fantasy book thats less famous than the others. Its really a great piece of writing, and there are 2 sequels.

The Hobbit is easily Tolkien’s best book, its beautifully written, incredibly detailed, and spawned a legion of fans and 3 great follow up books.

1984, one of my personal favorites.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m