Islaam really isn't as violent as you think

• @yourbuttocks:

Second, Yanny, often people used Christianity as an excuse to kill, but the Church established the Truce of GOd and the Peace of God, because though they couldn’t stop people from killing each other, the church could at least slow them down by declaring certain days and places free from Conflict.

I think the reason for that is that the church simply saw there profits melting. They were based in these lands, and if there was a lot of fighting there, with moving armies…. these armies needed food, which they surely did not take with them, but plundering from anywhere they passed.
    I don’t think that the church did invent these things for peaces sake, but for their own safeties and profits sake.

• When I say the Spanish Inquisition, I mean the Witch-Heretic craze which swept throughout Europe. The Spanish Inquisition was part of that, and is just my name for the whole Europe-wide event.

The Crusaders, for the most part, killed, captured, or looted every person in every town they came across. Women, Children, and Prisoners of war were all killed if captured so they would not slow down the Crusade,

• @Yanny:

When I say the Spanish Inquisition, I mean the Witch-Heretic craze which swept throughout Europe. The Spanish Inquisition was part of that, and is just my name for the whole Europe-wide event.

The Crusaders, for the most part, killed, captured, or looted every person in every town they came across. Women, Children, and Prisoners of war were all killed if captured so they would not slow down the Crusade,

ahhh . . . see how efficient the Crusade was? Like Jesus alwasy said - if you’re going to kill people, do it efficiently.
    The middle ages church was a political force that was drivne by similar elements that drives other people and political leaders. The people who went along with the church did so because they could not read, many of them, and because the bible was only printed in Latin until the time of Tyndale et al. Because of this shroud of secrecy and the power inherent to the money commanded by the “Church” it acted more like a monarchy than a Christian organization.

• Well CC, I feel its the Church thats the problem, not the Religion. The reason Christianity (Catholics in particular) have commited worse attrocities than the other religions is because of it’s centralized form of control.

People should be worshipping from home, with their families. Do we really need Priests endlessly telling us what to do? Do we need to go to Church to hear a Priest rant on about something half the people in the audience don’t listen to anyway?

In my opinion, no Christian should feel the need to go to Church every Sunday. Religion should be on the inside, between oneself and his/her faith. When it is on the outside, thats when problems arise.

• Yanny, if the crusaders massacared everyone right and left, why would the Arabs native to Leabanon/Holy Land/Syria fight with the crusaders against the mesopotamiam Muslims?

• Because they were conscripted. And the majority of those who fought fought on the side of Saradin and the Muslims.

By the way, Saladin was definately one of the best military leaders of his day. Probably up there in the top 20 leaders of all time.

• Only that it’s Saladin…

• No Yanny, Local Muslim rulers and towns allying witht he “franks” to fight Baghdad

• @Yanny:

When I say the Spanish Inquisition, I mean the Witch-Heretic craze which swept throughout Europe. The Spanish Inquisition was part of that, and is just my name for the whole Europe-wide event.

Actually…
    the Spanish Inquisition (which noone expects;) ) has not been an important part of the witch hunting. The witch hunting was not in the Middle Ages, but in the early New Ages (or whatever you call that thing that starts about 1500).

• @F_alk:

@Yanny:

Actually…
    the Spanish Inquisition (which noone expects;) ) has not been an important part of the witch hunting. The witch hunting was not in the Middle Ages, but in the early New Ages (or whatever you call that thing that starts about 1500).

F_alk is right. The Spanish Inquisition was Kind Ferdinand and Queen Isabella’s way of ensuring Spain would remain Catholic by forcing conversion on the Jews and remaining Moores of Spain. Many that converted still kept their traditions at home and were called Marranos meaning schwein. The Spanish Inquisition was aimed at those Marranos in order to make sure everyone in Spain was a loyal Catholic. The Marranos were brutally tortured along with the remaining Jews and Moores who werre expelled from Spain in 1492. Some say that Columbus’ navigator was Jewish, but that’s a different story. The Spanish Inquisition was not a witch hunting process, it was thep urging of Islam and Judaism from Spain. To this day there are Marranos in Spain and many Sepharidic Jews (Jews with origins in Spain) have a tradition of never setting foot in Spain ever again.

• Doh Doh ment Saladin. Playing a game (Ogre Battle) right now which has both a Saradin and a Saladin… mind is overloaded.

• No problem. :)

• Falk, for your benefit

Dark Ages 400-1050

High Middle Ages 1050-1450

Renaissance 1450-1600

• Thanks…. in germany ususally Dark Age and High Middle Age are put together to Middle Age, with distincting two or three “eras” in that.

• American Historians ussually break up the Renaissance and the middle ages with the fall of Constantinople

• Yeah, there are different ways to make that cut.
    Some say Columbus, some say Fall of Byzantine…. I don’t think that you can make that up on one event. It happened around 1500, that’s good enough for me :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m