• In a previous post, I asked what to do in regards of a G1 in Egypt. A suggestion was to take a tank  and inf from Italy on a transport, and put them in Libya to attack Egypt with the onther inf and tank already in Egypt and a bomber and ftr.

My question is how do I put them on the transport? Shouldn’t I load up the tank and inf during my non-combat phase and have to wait till G2 to do an amphibus assault on Egypt? Could I place them in Libya on my noncombat move of G2 and have to wait till G3? Isn’t the only move I can do with a loaded transport during a combat phase is an amphibous assault? I don’t see two seperate attacks on Egypt with only 2 units each plus air support going well.

Can someone tell me how to properly load, move and deploy a transport please? Thank you.

• During combat phase, load the units onto the transport, move the transport and attack :) not harder thatn that! Also, move in your units from libya. You can only retreat with your libyan forces though.

• So it would be a joint attack? What about the DD in SZ 15? Should I kill it with my BB or use a FTR to destroy that before I move my transport? And if it were taken out I would not only have to attack from the TRN but also from Libya? If Egypt is taken do all the units go into the territory or can I choose which ones go into Egypt?

• '16

@capnstak:

So it would be a joint attack?

You can attack a territory with units that come from different areas, as long as they’re able to get there.

In this case, yes you can attack Egypt from units in Libya as well as from Italy via transport.
    @capnstak:

What about the DD in SZ 15? Should I kill it with my BB or use a FTR to destroy that before I move my transport?

Before amphibious assaults can occur, you would have to clear the sea zone you’re invading from.
    In this case there’s a British Destroyer, so you HAVE to destroy it in order to use the transport to attack Egypt with. If you were to somehow fail this battle and the UK Destroyer is still alive, you would no longer be able to unload the units and would have to retreat the transport and its cargo.

Keep in mind that this won’t exempt any land units from Libya and planes that are attacking Egypt. They would still have to endure 1 round of combat before they would have the option to retreat.
    There is an order of combat and I believe its:
    Naval battles
    Amphibious battles
    and then everything else.
    Simply because if there is a battle that has one or more transports unloading involved and if there is sea combat where the transport(s) are, if the attacker fails the sea battle then the transport(s) are unable to unload their units to attack.

@capnstak:

And if it were taken out I would not only have to attack from the TRN but also from Libya?

All combat movement happens at the same time for that nation’s turn, THEN actual combat occurs.
    So if you move your units from Libya into Egypt and used your transport to unload units into Egypt, you would have to do the sea battle first then do the battle in Egypt. Regardless of how the sea battle went, you cannot go back on your unit commitments that you have set before. So if you won the sea battle, then the troops from the transport and Libya WILL attack Egypt. If you lost the sea battle, then only the troops from Libya WILL attack Egypt. Its not really a matter of choice at this point, you make your decisions during combat movement and cannot change it at all during actual combat. The only changes that are made are those imposed by the outcome of battles (like the destroyer still being alive and preventing your transport from unloading.)

@capnstak:

If Egypt is taken do all the units go into the territory or can I choose which ones go into Egypt?

After units have participated in combat, they MUST remain in the territory that they attacked. You cannot decide to attack and then pullback a few units after successfully taking over a territory. The only time you can pullback is if you decide to retreat from a battle, which the opponent will still have control of a territory. Also, keep in mind that you cannot retreat some units and leave some others still in the battle. ALL units retreat or ALL units keep fighting. Except for units unloading from transports.

The only units that are exempt from staying in areas that were just gained are planes. Planes must land in territories that were friendly at the start of their turn. They cannot land in territories that were just taken during that turn.

• Germany can buy another transport first turn an another tank and say artillery or infantry for next turn attack.  Stay put with your battleship, destroy the British ships in the med with Air Force and subs. Transfer a tank and infantry to Africa and move the two units from the west to join up as well.  Next turn amphibiously land in Egypt with shot support, 3 infantry, 2 artillery, and three tanks.  This will crush the British if thy stay and is a large moving force to either take all of Africa or press to India.  With this small investment at the strt, the British become sorely pressed.

This works for me.

• I like to attack on G1.  I’ll load the transport from Italy with 1inf and 1arm and attack with Lybia’s 1inf and 1arm (as you suggested). I’ll also bring in the ftr from Balkans and the ftr from Ukraine (depending on how R1 went).

I’ll use the BB to take out the destroyer. It’s all you need really, since you can take a hit.

Then take the sub from SZ8 and a 2ftrs from WE and German to attack the Cruiser in SZ13 (taking any hit on the sub).

This way the Med is cleared, and you still have 3-4 ftrs and one bomber to push Russia with.

And since the Med is cleared, on G2 you can use your transport and BB to bombard/assault either Ukraine or Caucus.

• @carsickness:

I like to attack on G1.  I’ll load the transport from Italy with 1inf and 1arm and attack with Lybia’s 1inf and 1arm (as you suggested). I’ll also bring in the ftr from Balkans and the ftr from Ukraine (depending on how R1 went).

I’ll use the BB to take out the destroyer. It’s all you need really, since you can take a hit.

Then take the sub from SZ8 and a 2ftrs from WE and German to attack the Cruiser in SZ13 (taking any hit on the sub).

This way the Med is cleared, and you still have 3-4 ftrs and one bomber to push Russia with.

And since the Med is cleared, on G2 you can use your transport and BB to bombard/assault either Ukraine or Caucus.

This assumes you play with the straights open.  Don’t get me wrong, G1 is good, but you need to take the 50/50 shot of eliminating the US from the Atlantic.  Use that SS to eliminate EUS.  Let your FTRs clear the CA (or switch it up, by taking Gib and use the BB to hit the CA and your FTRs for the DD, then take Egypt G2).  You cripple the Allies in the Atlantic by taking out the EUS fleet.

• Playing as Allies, i find it utterly annoying to have Germany Take Anglo-Egypt on G1.

What if Russia buys 1 sub in R1, hits Ukraine and WR (retreating from Ukraine if this is more economic) and lands both of it’s fighters in range of hitting SZ15.

Would you (as axis) still go for Egypt on R1?

I’m assuming no axis player likes the UK India fleet in the Med on UK1, or a UK IC in Anglo without axis amp. assault capacity by G2. And that this probably outweighs the loss of the BB and Trn.

I’m trying to figure out if the 6 IPC’s for the russian sub is worth it.

• If R1 buys a sub, they waste 6 IPC. If they have average or worse dice in taking WR and Ukraine, you should seriously consider forgoing africa and full-pressing Russia. Maybe attempt to take and hold WR, as in case blue:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25203.0

But I found that just forgoing africa and attempting a take and hold of ukraine can also work wonders. Use your transport to take 2 units off africa, and land in europe. Build mainly tanks and a few infantry.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m