• exactly.
    and yet Canada is criticized daily by Americans for not funding its military enough (although it is quite well funded - just not relative to its GDP) - but like Japan - why should we? No one is threatening us (well, except for Al Queda - NOW), and no one really wants to invade this place ('cept maybe the US . . . ).

I’m sure USA can look after Canada anyways. Wait… oh… yeah… we’re Americans… we’re not suppose to care about Canada… :-?

• would you like the Canadian Military lookiing over the US?

• @cystic:

Personally i’m not sure if the military needs more funding or not. In a way i would like to see a more respectable showing of ourselves, but the Mennonite in me says that the money should be spent elsewhere.

go Mennonite!

Spend it on protecting fisheries, spend it on astrophysics, spend it on feeding the penniless in Toronto, spend it on the Inuit, spend it not on Hydro Quebec, invest it in nonfossil fuel energy development, spend it on tourism marketing… or save it for a rainy day.

• @TG:

exactly.
    and yet Canada is criticized daily by Americans for not funding its military enough (although it is quite well funded - just not relative to its GDP) - but like Japan - why should we? No one is threatening us (well, except for Al Queda - NOW), and no one really wants to invade this place ('cept maybe the US . . . ).

I’m sure USA can look after Canada anyways. Wait… oh… yeah… we’re Americans… we’re not suppose to care about Canada… :-?

the only reason that Canadians would have anything to worry about militarily, is the existance and foreign policy of America. That, participating in peacekeeping missions, and defending our fishing rights, are the only reasons for us to “need” a military.

And ZZZ
    You forgot about healthcare (as per the Romanow and Kirby reports), but otherwise good on ya’ man.

• sorry for further derailing this interesting thread - just moments after my last post i read an article put forth by “Polaris” - an economic think tank that suggested exactly what i did - that money be moved into Healthcare and other social programs rather than the military.
    (by the way - Canada spends $12.3 billion/year on the military - 6th in NATO, however we have a population of only 30 million people).

• Oh my god!

CC double posted!

• @GeZe:

would you like the Canadian Military lookiing over the US?

No, I would like the Canadian military looking over THEMSELVES. Hypothetically, if they were attacked by someone, they don’t have a big enough army to retaliate against many countries out there. Who would end up taking up arms against their enemy and avenging the attack? You guessed it…the US.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

@GeZe:

would you like the Canadian Military lookiing over the US?

No, I would like the Canadian military looking over THEMSELVES. Hypothetically, if they were attacked by someone, they don’t have a big enough army to retaliate against many countries out there. Who would end up taking up arms against their enemy and avenging the attack? You guessed it…the US.

That’s what I’ve been saying……you gotta love the good old US of A. :D

There is no way one can convince me Canada spends too much on their military, that notion is ridiculous.
    The military needs to upgrade to the 21st century.
    Helichopters from 1960 just dosen’t cut it.
    The Canadian military is in the “red” if they continue to take away funds, Canada wil be involved in fewer and fewer “peace keeping” missions and it will severly reduce their international presence.
    There is a hidden cost to Canada if it continues to cripple its military.

I agree with the more money needed for health, but don’t take it from the military!
    As for other social programs…well, what kind of programs are we talking about here.
    I think Canada has to focus more on big business.

• F me in the A……that wasmy post <--------“is dumb”

• Why would Canada need a military? Name one country that threatens Canada. And Canada has fairly active special forces. Remember, some of the guys which US bombers killed in Afganistan.

• Why would the US need a military then? I’d like to see one nation the constitutes a real, concrete threat to the existance of the US. Anyway, back on the topic, I don’t know what you mean by Japan isn’t threatened. If I lived in Japan I might feel at least a little threatened by N. Korea. Relations there have never been good and with their nuclear program… I wouldn’t feel exactly safe, even with a nation that was the most major economic competitor of mine protecting me. That’s just me though.

• It’s hard having no military when you’re considered the world’s watchdog…

• I think the main issue that we’re dealing with here regarding Japan…is trust. They blew it big time with the attack on Pearl Harbor. In case you haven’t noticed, the American people don’t forgive terrorist attacks very easily.

On the other note, Canada’s armed forces situation seems reminiscent of the Clinton administration (and their attitude towards our military)…anyone agree with me? :(

• D:S - you see the problem with this exchange is like talking about health care - you don’t have our style, so you can’t easily imagine thinking that you need it. That’s the same with other ideologies across the two countries. Canada does not have the same militaristic requirements as the US (read: bloodlust) and therefore it is less necessary for us to have the relatively equivalent army. Yanny hit the nail on the head. No one cares enough to want to attack us (well, not until we helped the US fry some of Al Queda), and our peacekeepers are doing at least an adequate job, and our shores are typically well patrolled. The presence of the US brings us closer to the need for a stronger military than any other nation or idea.

• @cystic:

no one really wants to invade this place ('cept maybe the US . . . ).

Annex CC, Annex. Theres a difference.

• Annex away YB :lol:

• @Yanny:

Why would Canada need a military? Name one country that threatens Canada. And Canada has fairly active special forces. Remember, some of the guys which US bombers killed in Afganistan.

There is more to it than that.

Why does Canada need policemen?

• Canada needs policemen to punish criminals. They are the biggest threat Canada faces.

Same with Japan. Rearming never does any good in a peaceful world. Wars are started that way.

• You could look at the military as a police force.
    Protected and defending those who can’t.

Either way, I’m not talking about increasing the military so much as I’m talking about upgrading and maintaining.

• above was me again :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m