UN Environmental Summit in Johannesburg S Africa

• Anybody hear that the delegates are wearing a button which reads,
    “What Should We Do With the United States?” I bet I know what most of them are thinking!
    –--------------------
    “I’m going to Disneyworld!” - Summit Delates majority concensus

• Nah. I rather let the Democrats get chewed out on this one. :)

• Where’s your global patriotism?
    –----------------------------------
    Long live the UN! :roll: - Xi

• Sorry Xi, but sitting in a knitting circle isn’t exactly my idea of helping out. I’m sure the democrats would love it, but my place is out in the field doing something for a change.

• Well, i think calling the US a member of the “axis of ecological evil” is too true.

• Unfortunately i have to agree with F_alk. I am wishing that our (terrible, useless, lame duck of a) Prime Minister would have the balls to come out and openly support the kind of environmental reform packaged with Kyoto, but i’m guessing that until the US does, Cretien is going to continue to be wishy-washy on this issue (too) in order to not risk a decline in productivity and it’s competitive edges over the US (and Russia).

• Bush didn’t go, but Colin Powell did go. Bush was busy on vacation in Texas.

• Well, i think calling the US a member of the “axis of ecological evil” is too true.

Explain. For every negative aspect you give of environmental disaster, I can probably give you a positive one. And what use does calling “US a member of the 'Axis of Ecological Evil” do for you?

• @TG:

Well, i think calling the US a member of the “axis of ecological evil” is too true.

Explain. For every negative aspect you give of environmental disaster, I can probably give you a positive one. And what use does calling “US a member of the 'Axis of Ecological Evil” do for you?

I’m guessing that this line is targetted more at F_alk than at me. I would consider Canada to be a member of the “Axis of Ecological Miscreants”.

• Nah, this is fun for the whole family! :) Nothing better than a good fight. Especially one over US policy (as it always is).

• CO2 Metric tons per capita - 1996

Germany             10.51

United Kingdom       9.47

Italy                7.03

France               6.20

USA                 19.99

Canada              13.80

Private initiative does not work, Kyoto is an important step. By not accepting it, the american are doing a good move from an economical standpoint ONLY for short term. Air pollution do horrible thing to physical and mental health (by reducing the % of O2 in the air), and will eventually be a problem for the US economy… (not only Air but also Water pollution will be problem in the near future)

Fin

• Private initiative does not work, Kyoto is an important step. By not accepting it, the american are doing a good move from an economical standpoint ONLY for short term.

Private initiative does not work? President Bush and the DoE plan to reduce America’s greenhousegas emissions relative to the size of our economy by 18% over the next to 10 years. The air and water in the US, by most measures, are the cleanest they have been for decades. For the short term, Kyoto would put millions of Americans out of work - something that isn’t easily solved. For the cost of Kyoto for one year, we could give clean drinking water and sanitation to every human being on earth.

(not only Air but also Water pollution will be problem in the near future)

I do not think that CO2 will effect water in the near future.

• The South African Environmental Summit -

At the first one, in 1992, the delegates adopted almost 2,500 recommendations, of which less than 1% have been enacted by the majority of governments which sent representatives.

At the current Summit, the delegates are discussing hunger while enjoying extravagant luncheons. One of these luncheons included over
    1000 pound of lobster,
    450 pounds of salmon,
    300 pounds of patee,
    200 pounds of caviar, and
    this is just a partial list.

The Environment-

The US had eliminated 98% of it’s 1974 automobile emisssions by 1992.

In 1925 environmentalists said we would run out of oil in 20 years(1945).
    In 1945 environmentalists said we would run out of oil in 30 years(1975).
    In 1970 environmentalists said we would run out of oil in 100 years(2070).
    In 1995 environmentalists said we would run out of oil in 200 years(2195).
    Sounds like we’ve found more oil and become more efficient in its’ use.

Yquote -
    “Bush didn’t go, but Colin Powell did go. Bush was busy on vacation in Texas.”
    Y, His vacation consists of DAILY meetings to keep him updated on hotspots and important events. Unlike 535 US legislators who take fact
    finding trips to Paris(France) with their wives . . . or pop into their home district office once a week and call it work. Why don’t liberals talk about the legislators’ vacations?

F_kquote -
    “axis of ecological evil”
    Oh, how original!
    Sound like the Have Nots complaining again.
    Mt. Pinatubo(sp?) spewed more pollution in one shot than the US did in the last 100 years. The Earth cleaned it up in 2 years.
    Environmentalists worried about the Alaskan frozen tundra and carribou(sp?) when the Alaskan pipeline was built, but now acknowledge that the carribou are doing better now(since they have a warmer place to congregate, but the Tundra hasn’t thawed.
    The Exxon Valdez was the worst oil tanker spill in known history. It was said that the Alaskan coast would never recover, no, in 100 years, no, in 20 years. Most environmentalists now acknowledge that the Alaskan coast had recovered within 10 years of the accident! They discovered that the oceans clean themselves(like a washing machine[in the news in the mid '90’s], and that the oceans pollute themselves on a regular basis[in the news this year]).

F_Squote,
    “CO2 Metric tons per capita - 1996”
    Lawn grasses and weeds produce CO2 in large quantities. The US has more weeds and lawn grasses than these countries. Oh, I almost forgot! We also produce and export a great quantity of items, too.And how about China and India’s production/pollution today?
    –--------------------------------------------------
    Liberals cannot handle the truth. Too bad I don’t know it all. -Xi

• 1000 pound of lobster,
    450 pounds of salmon,
    300 pounds of patee,
    200 pounds of caviar, and
    this is just a partial list.

Sounds pretty hypocritical to me. What a pity.

Rio failed because it tried to accomplish too much, I will expect Johannesburg to be the same.

• Environmentalists worried about the Alaskan frozen tundra and carribou(sp?) when the Alaskan pipeline was built, but now acknowledge that the carribou are doing better now(since they have a warmer place to congregate, but the Tundra hasn’t thawed.

Do you know how much species die each years ? Do you think it is normal ?

Lawn grasses and weeds produce CO2 in large quantities. The US has more weeds and lawn grasses than these countries.

Haha… it is not calculate like that. It is how much CO2 Humans are throwing in the air… And the earth is not recovering for that, just look at the % of 02; it is not as high as it is supposed to be.

• Do you know how much species die each years ? Do you think it is normal ?

I dunno, how much do you believe in evolution? The extinction of species is inevitable, but I agree - not at this pace. As for Xi’s Caribou statement, I can indeed verify it as fact (though I’m not sure how much the warmer temp. has to do with this). But then again, what would I know? I’m all in favor of protecting endangered species –- wait, I’m the Axis of Ecological Evil and I guess I’m suppose to play the sterotypical role of the destroyer of nature. So be it.

• @Anonymous:

Haha… it is not calculate like that. It is how much CO2 Humans are throwing in the air… And the earth is not recovering for that, just look at the % of 02; it is not as high as it is supposed to be.

How the he– do they calculate(read ESTIMATE) that/ Oh, yeah, it’s scientists. It’s a GUESSTIMATE.

Well, if environmentalists really cared they’d martyr themselves to show how much they believed in the cause. I’ll supply the knife for them to use. In addition, I’ll cover them with a gun, so that if anyone tries to stop them, they will be successful.

“Smrt ili Sloboda!” -Yugoslavian translates to “Death or Freedom” - Xi
    I’m a helpful kinda guy. - Xi

• @TG:

Private initiative does not work, Kyoto is an important step. By not accepting it, the american are doing a good move from an economical standpoint ONLY for short term.

Private initiative does not work? President Bush and the DoE plan to reduce America’s greenhousegas emissions relative to the size of our economy by 18% over the next to 10 years. The air and water in the US, by most measures, are the cleanest they have been for decades. For the short term, Kyoto would put millions of Americans out of work - something that isn’t easily solved. For the cost of Kyoto for one year, we could give clean drinking water and sanitation to every human being on earth.

(not only Air but also Water pollution will be problem in the near future)

I do not think that CO2 will effect water in the near future.

Well, turns out that Cretien did submit the Kyoto Protocol to the Parliament afterall (at least something good will come of his “legacy”). I included Moses’ quote as i believe in the short run the US will pick up business that Canada will lose for tightening up our pollution laws. At the same time, in the long-term i think that countries (developed, scientifically and economically forward-thinking countries) will develop sources of energy much more cheaply and environmentally friendly than the ones used by our backward thinking neighbours (sorry for the shot - i’m only half-serious :) )

• At the same time, in the long-term i think that countries (developed, scientifically and economically forward-thinking countries) will develop sources of energy much more cheaply and environmentally friendly than the ones used by our backward thinking neighbours (sorry for the shot - i’m only half-serious )

Backward thinking neighbors, eh? So every your country will earmark more than $4.6 billion over the next five years in tax credits for enewable-energy investments such as wind and solar power and energy-efficiency projects? So your country will spend hundreds of millions-billons on nuclear fusion research each year? So every other country should have more wind turbines and solar cells installed than in the United States? So you will donate more than $6.4 billon to environmental groups around the world? Of course, America is the “Ecological Axis of :evil:” – so disregard all of that. We secretly want to destroy the planet and don’t give a damn about the environment! Oh, how good it is to live the life of the “Ecological Axis of Evil.” :P

• Moses Said:

I dunno, how much do you believe in evolution? The extinction of species is inevitable

But moses, a dog is a cat is a tree is a human. We cannot let allow animals to die, after all animals are people too.

That was my liberal, animal rights person impression. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m