Will the U.S. and China eventually come into conflict?

• The first question (and the question that is the poll) is not should they come into conflict, but will they?

Predict the future!

The second question is why yes or why not.

Your thoughts?

• They will not. The US regards China as an excellent export opportunity. Unlike small countries upon whom the US may exercise it’s will, it can not do so much against China. Furthermore any posturing or even saying "ummm . . . about those human rights violations and your evil behaviour in Tibet and your threatening of Taiwan . . . well, they just don’t feel right . . . " is simply not going to happen.
    If China was made up of 50 million people and a second rate military and airforce and was useful resource-wise, then yes, i could see the US doing more saber-rattling, but rather what we see here are two bullies on the school yard, not sure if the other is stronger or not. Also they are afraid to start something as they may lose their lunchroom privileges (i.e. trading status etc.).

• Yes, I do believe we will eventually come into conflict with China.

China is aggressively growing it’s military might, and could pose a threat in the distant future. (Not soon by any means.) They are one of a handful of countries that has the potential to launch ICBM missiles at North America, and that alone is something to worry about. Although we’d nuke their ass if they did, they still pose a threat as they gain more advanced technology.

However, I think that we’ll see a conflict between China and Taiwan long before a conflict with the United States. (Although a conflict with Taiwan could potentially bring the United States into a battle.)

China’s military is pretty much a joke in comparison to some of it’s adversaries. Although it’s the largest in the world with over 2 million people, it severly lacks technology, equipment, and training. I would hope for China’s sake that they didn’t get the balls to launch an offensive against anyone.

• I think the US and China can easily slip into a conflict, although it will likely be on a small scale; like during the cold war when the powerful western nations would battle the powerful communist ones through support in relatively tiny conflicts like Korea. I think a revolution in Manchuria or an invasion of Taiwan could do the trick (although American policy towards Taiwan is weird).

• in my opinion if CHina gets into a shitstorm with Taiwan this would be a great time to do it for them. reason 1) US is currently involved with the war on terror and this whole Saddam Housein crap

which means US might not get involved that much do to the fact that it cannot commit all of its force to the area due to its involvement with Iraq and Afganistan.

but this is also a bad time for china cus if US does get seriously involved we out Tech and Out Economy them by a long shot. but then again go around ur houae and look at most of ur possesions, i bet 60% of them are made in CHina. so if US were to get balistic on CHina they could just stop producin stuff here and our economy will go to shit.

i could be seriously wrong on this sunjecy, so those who disagree or find a fault in my statement feel free to corect me ;)

• Not anytime soon. Maybe a Cold War type conflict, but I doubt all out war. We both gain a lot from trading with each other.

And China’s military is the strongest in the Region. It is not a joke as it was 20 years ago. The US still could not beat them in a ground war. Like I said, the potential draft is 200 million.

• The bigger threat that China poses is the fact that they’re in bed with Russia. (Figuratively, of course.) They readily trade nuclear weapons and technology.

China’s biggest companies funded the Taliban network in Afganhistan and continue to support Saddam’s regime in Iraq. They’ve got their hands in every cookiejar and this poses a potentially bigger threat than an all-out confrontation.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

The bigger threat that China poses is the fact that they’re in bed with Russia. (Figuratively, of course.) They readily trade nuclear weapons and technology.

Why should that be a threat? Have you heard the news that the cold war is over?

Do I really need to explain the significance of a country that hates us, possessing nuclear weaponry?

The chinese have more brains than you. Read “the art of war”.

…. someone opposes us… they must hate us… sigh

• Deviant, let me quote John Stuart from the daily show.

“Why are we going after people with weapons of mass destruction? Its not like our weapons are weapons of mass happytime. You don’t bomb someone and say ‘do I smell cinnamon?’”

I think I’ll put that quote in my sig…

Your one of those crazy Americans. Ok, lets take Iraq, then Iran, then North Korea, then China, then Russia… its a never ending war. We should focus on things that concern us, and help people. Read my Nuclear Energy post.

• @Yanny:

Deviant, let me quote John Stuart from the daily show.

“Why are we going after people with weapons of mass destruction? Its not like our weapons are weapons of mass happytime. You don’t bomb someone and say ‘do I smell cinnamon?’”

I think I’ll put that quote in my sig…

Your one of those crazy Americans. Ok, lets take Iraq, then Iran, then North Korea, then China, then Russia… its a never ending war. We should focus on things that concern us, and help people. Read my Nuclear Energy post.

don’t forget Israel - also a keeper of a weapon of mass happytime.

• Deviant:Scripter, judging from Yanny’s post, i think he could use that explanation you offered.

And China, they have mass happy weapons too.

• @F_alk:

The chinese have more brains than you. Read “the art of war”.

I’ve read “The Art of War.” What’s your point? See what I say in the next paragraph.

@Yanni:

Your one of those crazy Americans. Ok, lets take Iraq, then Iran, then North Korea, then China, then Russia… its a never ending war. We should focus on things that concern us, and help people.

Waaaaiiiiiitttt. Back this horse up a minute. Where did I say we should go after every country that possesses nuclear weapons? Go find my post that says that and maybe I’ll agree with you, but until then…don’t put words in my mouth. I’m simply saying that we need to be cautious, and not treat everyone like our friend. There is more going on behind the scenes then what’s readily visible to us citizens.

@Jazz:

Deviant:Scripter, judging from Yanny’s post, i think he could use that explanation you offered.

I least it appears that I have one supporter here. :D

• One Chinaman writes a book about warefare and the U.S is suppose to be wary?
    Thats dumb.

• Just cause China made it doesnt mean it is good. Look at the chopstick, took me 2 years to learn how to use the bloody things.

Oh yea Deviant, i got your back man. 8)

• Treat the Chineese as friends! We can both benefit a lot from each other. China is a moderate communist/capitalist combination, has a stable government, and is on the way to becoming a super power. Yes, that includes Nuclear weapons, deal with it! A lot of countries are nuclear capable.

• @Yanni:

A lot of countries are nuclear capable.

Actually, there’s only about 8 countries that have nuclear weapons.

@Yanni:

A lot of countries are nuclear capable.

Actually, there’s only about 8 countries that have nuclear weapons.

that’s a lot!!!
    One is too many!!!

• Ok, 8 countries. 5 years from now, 12 countries. 10 years from now, 20 countries. 50 years from now… virtually every country.

We either need to stop production of them now, or we have to come to grips with reality.

• Yea, well, there’s not much we can do about it to prevent countries from getting their hands on the technology. Out of the eight countries that possess nuclear weapons today, almost none of them did so using America’s help.

50 years from now, we’ll be developing bigger and better weapons that make nuclear bombs look like water balloons. It’s all we can do to stay alive.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m