Is there life outside our solar system ?

• I don’t believe any theists would blame God for their mistakes or bad luck in life. Why push your luck? If God is teaching you some “lesson”, don’t risk pissing him off!!!

• @Field:

I don’t believe any theists would blame God for their mistakes or bad luck in life. Why push your luck? If God is teaching you some “lesson”, don’t risk pissing him off!!!

You’re prolly right. That was the BFF view - that we need something to blame for our lives. As i said, i don’t buy it.

“Chance favors the prepared mind” - Louis Pasteur

• @Field:

I don’t believe any theists would blame God for their mistakes or bad luck in life. Why push your luck? If God is teaching you some “lesson”, don’t risk pissing him off!!!

Any “God” that one can “piss off” isnt something worth worshipping.

I’d rather burn in hell than serve in heaven.

• @TG:

“I could have been seeing things (the UFOs)”

Even if it wasn’t a alien spaceship, I would still consider what you say a UFO from your point of view (unidentified flying object).

Oh yeah, can I take back my ballot and vote “no” to go against the crowd?

unless it was never really there flying.

The second last one I saw almost looked like the fake one from the 1950s (but more of a disk, but it flopped around!) They all looked metallic.

• Yes ! 43% [ 7 ]
    Probably… 43% [ 7 ]
    Probably not… 6% [ 1 ]
    No ! 0% [ 0 ]
    Don’t know… 6% [ 1 ]
    Total Votes : 16

A lot of certitude…. 7 Yes
    And 1 Probably not… CC, YB ?

• @FinsterniS:

Yes ! 43% [ 7 ]
    Probably… 43% [ 7 ]
    Probably not… 6% [ 1 ]
    No ! 0% [ 0 ]
    Don’t know… 6% [ 1 ]
    Total Votes : 16

A lot of certitude…. 7 Yes
    And 1 Probably not… CC, YB ?

honestly i can’t remember. it was either that or “probably” - it would depend on how we were defining “life”.

• Life… well; microorganisms, plants, animals, insects…

But anyway; if microbe are common outside our solar system, is it not logic to assume somewhere life can have evolve beyond this level of complexity ? There is so much stars, so much planets…

• not quite sure about microbes . . . maybe viruses, but there is debate about whether they are “alive” or not - some consider them to be merely machines . . . i’d guess that those (or semblances thereof) are floating around somewhere . . . hard to say.
    Also there may be life in ways that we do not understand it . . . using non-organic metabolites and structures, with/out systems of respiration reproduction etc. different then we’d imagine. I’m not too sure about the little green men concept, but i do wonder if there were aliens, what they would be made of, look like, and would they bear any resemblance to life around here to an extent that we would even recognise it as life?

• I was the probably not, but it has nothing to do with faith. I remember reading stuff which said the probablility was low. So that is how I voted.

• I was the probably not, but it has nothing to do with faith. I remember reading stuff which said the probablility was low. So that is how I voted.

All scientific theory on the subject are in pure contradiction. The fact is; we lack information to form coherent theory, i have no evidence, i just think the universe is so vast; life can have appear somewhere else… That’s why i vote “probably…” but not “yes”.

@cystic:

not quite sure about microbes . . . maybe viruses, but there is debate about whether they are “alive” or not - some consider them to be merely machines . . .

I don’t know about microbe, but we believe not so long ago animals were merely machines… Also it depend on your definition of “machines”, we can consider ourself, to some extend, to be some some of biological machines.

Also there may be life in ways that we do not understand it . . . using non-organic metabolites and structures, with/out systems of respiration reproduction etc. different then we’d imagine. I’m not too sure about the little green men concept, but i do wonder if there were aliens, what they would be made of, look like, and would they bear any resemblance to life around here to an extent that we would even recognise it as life?

This is an interesting subject, maye life is always formed around some immuable basis or maybe life is in the contrary more diverse, so life on another planet is completly different from life here… It’s very hard to be sure.

• “Also there may be life in ways that we do not understand it . . . using non-organic metabolites and structures, with/out systems of respiration reproduction etc. different then we’d imagine. I’m not too sure about the little green men concept, but i do wonder if there were aliens, what they would be made of, look like, and would they bear any resemblance to life around here to an extent that we would even recognise it as life?”

CC is hitting on something important here. There’s a whole other universe out there and what we know as the basic building blocks of life could be radically altered somewhere else. I guess the question is that if we encounter such a thing, can be classify it as alive? Time will tell. I think what CC, was referring to about viruses being machines was no so much in a metaphorical sense (as animals being machines), but in the fact that viruses are unable to replicate without a host cell, and therefore are typically not considered living organisms.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m