German Tactics (first time German, need to pwn my friends)

• I’m playing with my friends and this is the first time I’m Germany. Japan is a relatively new player so I need to help him tactically a lot. The USA player is also kind of new (2 games under his belt as Germany) and the UK player is not new but not the best. Still a threat. My biggest concern is Russia. It’s his game and he thinks like a general. So from that, what are some basic core tactics for Germany and also what is a strategy to really melt my friend’s faces off?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What I liked to do, is build 1 fighter a turn, and MEN.  Maybe with the odd tank or artillery mixed in, depending on what kind of money/change I had available.

Usually the allies will go for a Kill Germany First strategy…  what this does, is bulks out the best possible build strategy for germany in the game (Which is to build all Inf) while retaining the maximum flexibility of being able to fight on the ground, and destroy any enemy navies which are too small, and make the mistake of getting to close to your air power.

The fighters will also keep you alive on defense,  and force the allies to build all kinds of USELESS ships like destroyers, which have no effect on your battleplan to victory.

Once you have about 10 or more fighters, just keep the ground units flowing.

• You’re best off going for a rush into Russia. Trust me, once you get Russia you own the game. UK and US will take too long to invade Western Europe and in that time you can take Russia. Also, forget about Africa. Trying to keep it is a waste of resources and you can use your planes in your first turn for something more useful. You’re better off ferrying your troops into Germany and just letting the Allies have it, its not worth your time. What strategies were you thinking of using?

• Take Anglo-Egypt and spamming artillery in Europe. And lots of subs

• I have a lot of experience with Germany and I know that taking Anglo-Egypt and then Africa is a huge waste of time and resources. Chances are you won’t even succeed and I would rather have those troops in Germany.

• Won’t them having the top of Africa give America a landing point? Any great strategies you know of?

• It will but it is much easier to defend Germany than Northern Africa. Its just not worth the resources in the big picture. A strategy that has won me at least 5 games as Germany is to forget about Africa. Then, you rush Russia with everything you have. Because of the way the game works the US and UK can’t possibly invade you in time, so if you focus all of your resources on Russia they’ll be back in time for the invasion of Normandy. This way you’ll get the economy boost early in the game to match the Allies’ high economy. Although this only works if you devote all of your resources, and I mean all of them to destroying Russia. Its worth the risk (really there is no risk because of the game’s flaws), and you’ll be able to win. Its has worked every time I have tried it, but you need to ferry your African troops into the Balkans too.

• How would I go about crushing Russia fast? And then defeating the rest of the allies afterwards?

• Once you take Russia taking on the Allies with be a breeze with all of the added IPC income. Just tell Japan not to attack them either because then they have an escape route into Eastern Asia. This may sound like it doesn’t work but the trick to taking Russia is not tanks but infantry. You can pump out more infantry than tanks and you get more bang for your buck. If you make only infantry you’ll break the back of the Russian military and be able to take them on really early, too early for the allies to respond. And then you’re home free.

• Righto, thanks, I’ll let you know how it goes

• There are no early victories in A&A revised.  Plan on winning the long game.  Buy lots of infantry and find a way to equalize the IPC production.  The best way to do this is take Africa, but Northern Russia and Caucasus are another way to do this.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

There are no early victories in A&A revised.  Plan on winning the long game.  Buy lots of infantry and find a way to equalize the IPC production.  The best way to do this is take Africa, but Northern Russia and Caucasus are another way to do this.

That’s SOLID advice, and exactly what I do.

If you FAIL to take egypt, you will likely lose the game.

• Against good allies, plan on being on the defensive.  Russia will come at you, and it won’t take long for the Allies to sink your navies and start coming over the Atlantic.

I recommend that you do conquer Egypt on the first turn, but then leave it at that.  You will likely lose Egypt shortly afterwards, so I recommend taking your African Army across the Suez and into Persia to be a little bit aggressive against India and Caucasus.

Fighters and Bombers are good, you’ll need them for sinking the British Navy (especially on turns 1 and 2).  Infantry is pretty good, but I recommend some tanks and artillery as supplements.

From there, just try to keep Russia busy while Japan spreads through Asia.  Ask your Japanese Ally to make a decisive goal of taking a straight line to Moscow through one or two of the three paths to Moscow (either north of mongolia, or through China, or through India).

• @Pherman1215:

There are no early victories in A&A revised.  Plan on winning the long game.  Buy lots of infantry and find a way to equalize the IPC production.  The best way to do this is take Africa, but Northern Russia and Caucasus are another way to do this.

I do disagree.

Rare it may be, but there’s at least one way for Germany to try to finish Russia as quickly as possible on Revised - with a 8/9 bid place 1 inf/art on Belorussia and 1 armor in E. Europe and pray that the Russians have at least average losses while attacking West Russia and any other territories. On G1 buy 8 armor and hit the Russian stack on West Russia with everything that can hit it and send everything towards Russia (including the inf and armor on Libya to Ukraine). Afterwards pray for decent dice and that the UK/US doesn’t land too soon in Europe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m