• Has anyone ever tried to land a ftr in AES in R1?If the UKR ftr is destroyed,G1 will have to dedicate the bmb for AES.That will result to the survival of the UK BB.The Russians will end up losing a ftr,like a Norwegian Gambit without Norway,but Germany will be risking both to leave the BB alive and fail AES.
    What do you think?

• The Russian fighter won’t be able to make attacks on R1 to reach Egypt, which means that it can’t be used on Ukraine, lowering the odds there. If decide not to attack it or fail to destroy the German fighter on Ukr, that fighter can be used by the Germans to attack Egypt if they still decide to hit SZ2.

• 3 inf,1 art,3 arm and 1 ftr should be able το kill the UKR ftr.So should be 8 inf,1 art for taking WR.The losses will be big and there s no way for Russia to survive the G1 counter in either territories,but the UK will have its BB and will be able to counter AES (if needed at all) and will be able to use IND troops for FIC.

• '16 '15 '10

It’s an interesting move; I’ve seen it work before.  By ‘working’, I mean that either Germany skips SZ2 or fails at Egypt.

It could backfire though.  Not having the fig lowers your odds of taking Ukraine.  And it’s possible the Germans will go ahead with the normal open and send 2 inf 2 arm fig to Egy and still take it.

• @Zhukov44:

It’s an interesting move; I’ve seen it work before.  By ‘working’, I mean that either Germany skips SZ2 or fails at Egypt.

Or G fortifies Libya and leaves the Med fleet to be sunk, while sinking the SZ2 fleet. Then the UK either fortifies Egypt or attack FIC or retreats all together.

• You could call this . . .

The Anglo-Egypt Sudan Gambit   :lol:

Sort of like the Norway Gambit (2 Russian fighters to Norway) to try to save the UK battleship.

But

Suppose Germany decides to take up the Anglo-Egypt challenge and still go for the UK battleship.  Russia just totally shot itself in the butt if Germany lucks out a little.  Even then, Japan can finish the Russian fighter on J1.

Besides which are the possibilities of Germany simply deciding not to hit Anglo-Egypt and messing with Europe, or even abandoning Africa to go for a hard Europe counter.  The proposed 8 infantry 1 artillery vs West Russia in particular strikes me as risky to the German counterattack on G1, depending on dice.

Which is not to say that the proposed moves (8 inf 1 art vs West Russia, 1 fighter to Anglo-Egypt, remainder to Ukraine) is WRONG.  But would you call it low-risk?

BTW I wouldn’t call 2 inf 2 tanks 1 fighter “standard” to Anglo-Egypt Sudan.  2 infantry 1 artillery 1 tank 1 fighter drops the odds by 3-6% I think it was, but considering the probable UK counter you won’t lose 2 tanks at Anglo-Egypt.

• @Bunnies:

You could call this . . .

The Anglo-Egypt Sudan Gambit   :lol:

But Russia hitting West Russia with 6 infantry 1 artillery strikes me as being pretty risky.

WR is hit with 8/9 inf, 1 art, 1 arm, depending if you want to keep an infantry behind to block the German armor on E. Eur to blitzing Archangel. Russia should retake it while losing 3 inf. However, if the Russians lose 6 or more infantry (10% odds) then the Germans might be able to take it.

• '16 '15 '10

There’s really a lot to like about the move.  I haven’t tried it for the same reason I’m reluctant to go Nor–I’m not big on risks Round 1…I prefer not to hit FIC or New Guinea or Borneo or indulge in any Round 1 attack with less than 80% odds.

Fig to AES is worth considering as a low luck strategy as well.  Germany can still hit SZ2 and Egy with the Russian fig there but it gets pretty dicey–a large percentage of the time Germany must trade in its Balkans fig to get Egy, and a smaller percentage of outcomes the Allies actually win the battle.  Since using 1 fig in Ukr in low luck is a 100% win for Russia…the trade-off is the Russian fig for an average of 2 less German units surviving Egy, and occasionally getting the win at Egy.  Looks pretty good on paper, but then there’s the cost of lacking that 2nd Russian fighter throughout the game.

With regard to Germany NOT hitting Egy…IMO if Germany doesn’t hit Egy then the AES gambit has already paid for itself.  The Med fleet dies UK1 unless reinforced.

• re:  Hobbes’ post:

Hobbes replied before I corrected 6 infantry 1 artillery to 8 infantry 1 artillery.

@Advosan:

3 inf,1 art,3 arm and 1 ftr should be able το kill the UKR ftr.So should be 8 inf,1 art for taking WR.

If you DO hit WR with inf/art/tank, it becomes MUCH more palatable.  Increased odds of failing Ukraine, of course, but I think the increased odds of failure at Ukraine are quite acceptable in face of possibility of poor dice at West Russia.

• @Bunnies:

re:  Hobbes’ post:

Hobbes replied before I corrected 6 infantry 1 artillery to 8 infantry 1 artillery.

@Advosan:

3 inf,1 art,3 arm and 1 ftr should be able το kill the UKR ftr.So should be 8 inf,1 art for taking WR.

If you DO hit WR with inf/art/tank, it becomes MUCH more palatable.  Increased odds of failing Ukraine, of course, but I think the increased odds of failure at Ukraine are quite acceptable in face of possibility of poor dice at West Russia.

I don t know what I was thinking,but you are correct.WR can be hit with 8 inf,art,arm.Which makes the AES Gambit (all rights reserved by B.P.Wrath:)) safer for Russia.

• @Advosan:

Which makes the AES Gambit (all rights reserved by B.P.Wrath:)) safer for Russia.

Oo no.  I am not that baby daddy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m