ITALY Cont…

I5.PNG
    I6.PNG

• TripleA '12

ITALY Cont…

I7.PNG
    I8.PNG

• Customizer

Okay, I looked through some boxes and managed to find my old notes from when I came up with new tech ideas for Axis & Allies.  Remember, I came up with these for the old Classic game.  I got some 20 sided dice to research these techs and some of them require you to use the 20 sided dice to employ them.  Another idea would be to add breakthrough charts so you could still stay with the 6 sided dice.
    #7 - Heavy Tanks = Tanks attack at 4.
    #8 - Long Range Artillery = One free artillery barrage from an AA gun per territory per round, range of 3.
    #9 - Paratroopers = Bombers used as troop transports.  Each bomber can carry 2 infantry, 1 armor or 1 AA gun.
    #10 - Radiation Protection Gear = Allows your troops to ignore radiation fallout zones.
    #11 - Chemical Warfare = NERVE GAS!  A successful strike decreases ALL defending units’ capabilities by 1 in targeted territory.
    #12 - Nuclear Warheads = A roll of 6 destroys all units in targeted territory and that territory can not be entered for 1 full round (unless you also have #10)
    #13 - Piracy/Salvage = Rebuild your forces!  When you attack a territory or sea zone and win the battle, whatever MACHINE units (NOT Infantry) your enemy lost in the battle you can recover and turn them into your own units.
    #14 - Brilliant Propoganda = When attacking a territory, roll a 20 sided dice and call evens or odds.  If it rolls as you called it, any enemy INFANTRY units in that territory are persuaded to join your side and will now fight with you in the battle.  DOES NOT WORK ON CAPITALS.
    #15 - Troop Transports = Allows infantry to move 2 spaces.  (Obviously this is now Mechanized Infantry so this one will be scrapped now).
    #16 - ICBM capability = This weapon can only be used with Special Weapon #2 “Rockets”.  Range is increased from 3 to unlimited.
    #17 - Stealth Technology = All attacking fighters get the same “surprise strike” capability as submarines.
    #18 - Increased Anti-Aircraft Protection = All AA Guns roll 2 dice.  (I imagine this is equivalent to the current “Radar” tech.  The difference being you roll 2 dice trying to get '1s" and with Radar you roll 1 dice for a 2 or less.)
    #19 - Increased Naval Engine Efficiency = All Naval vessels can move 3 spaces instead of 2.  I guess going from a Naval Base would increase movement to 4?  Too much?
    #20 - Minefields = For each roll of 3 (Not 3 or less, JUST 3 ), an attacking land unit is destroyed and removed from play.  Like AA Guns for Land Units.

• Customizer

That last post was getting a bit long.  I figure most of my ideas you can figure out pretty simply.  I’m going to try giving a little more info on some of them:
    #8 Long Range Artillery = I came up with this before we had artillery pieces.  I imagine you could also call it V-1 attacks, Rocket barrages, etc.  Basically, it works like an offensive AA Gun mixed with the shore bombardment of BBs and CAs.  For each defending unit in a targeted territory, you roll a dice.  Each role of 1 is a hit and that unit is placed behind the casualty strip.  It’s just a one-time shot.  Then the rest of the battle proceeds as normal.  You can only use one AA gun artillery attack on any territory and each AA gun can only barrage one territory per turn.  However, if you have more than one AA gun within range of more than one attacked territory, they can each fire at different territories.  Range is 3.
    #9 Paratroopers = Now the game actually has this development.  My transports were bigger because you could carry tanks with mine.  I think the current ones only allow infantry.  If a bomber is used as a transport plane, it can not be used as a bomber in the same round.  Also, if the attacked territory has an AA gun, the transport plane can be hit and destroyed but the paratroop units will still participate in the battle because they are considered dropped before the AA fire.
    #12 Nuclear Warheads = This happens BEFORE the regular combat move.  There are three ways to deliver your H-Bombs; by bomber which can be shot down by AA guns in which case you lose your precious H-Bomb, with Special Weapon #2 Rockets which  have a range of 3 with no defense against them, and with Special Weapons #2 and #16 ICBMs.  These have unlimited range and no defense.  To employ a nuclear bomb, role a 20 sided dice and call evens or odds.  If it comes up as called, all defending units in that territory are immediately destroyed and that territory becomes a radioactive dead zone that is owned by NO country.  The country being nuked loses the IPC value of that territory and it can not be entered by anyone for ONE full round (basically, the attacker’s next turn).  If the nuked territory was a country’s capital, then that country follows the same rules as if their capital was captured by an enemy power, except the IPCs on hand are not handed over to the attacker, they are simply lost.
    #10 Radiation Protection Gear = This allows the nation using it to ignore the 1 full round waiting period after a nuclear attack.  You can enter a nuked territory and gain the IPC value of that territory, or liberate it for an ally.  If you have both Nuclear Warheads and Radiation Prot Gear, you can blast a territory and immediately claim it.  If the blasted territory is an enemy capital, you can gain the IPC value of the territory but you DO NOT get to plunder the IPCs on hand.  Those are destroyed by the nuclear blast.

• Customizer

Here are further explanations:
    #13 - Piracy/Salvaging = Basically, any enemy units that you defeat in a battle (except infantry) you can bring back as your own.  For example:  you attack a territory that has 3 inf, 1 mech, 1 art and 1 fighter.  You win this battle.  So, you salavage the enemy equipment and now YOU get 1 mech, 1 art and 1 fighter to add to your existing force.  However, any of YOUR forces lost you do NOT salvage.
    On this one, I’m not entirely sure if it is a good one or if I just didn’t do it right.  Maybe you should be able to salvage your own machine losses rather than the enemy pieces.  That actually makes more sense.  Also, I’m thinking it should be restricted to land battles only.  After all, if you destroy an enemy ship, it sinks to the bottom of the ocean!  So, lets consider this one only for land battles.  One other thing, I’m not sure if I should make it 100% salvageable.  If you attack with 10 tanks and win but lose 8 tanks in the process, would it be right to suddenly have 10 tanks sitting there?  I’ll be really curious to hear your ideas on this on in particular.
    #14 - Brilliant Propoganda = I thought this one was pretty good.  Originally, I had it where you take a 20 sided dice and call evens or odds.  If it comes up as you called, then any enemy infantry are swayed over to your side and fight with you in that battle.  If the territory in question is only defended by infantry, then you get the territory without a fight, plus you add to your force as well.  Now I am thinking that was a little too easy.  You are not likely to convince 100% of the enemy troops to join your side.  Perhaps this is a better way to do this:  get 1 6-sided dice per enemy infantry piece.  Pick a number between 1 and 6, roll your dice and for each of that number you called that comes up, an enemy infantry joins your side.  This way with the larger battles, you might sway a percentage over which could mean the difference in winning or losing.  On a territory defended by 1 or 2 infantry, you might not have to fight at all.  One thing though:  I don’t allow this weapon on Capital territories.  Reason being;  I figure troops defending the capital are considered the most loyal and thus would not be swayed by your propoganda.

• Customizer

Okay, this should be the last one.
    #17 - Stealth technology = All attacking fighters get a one shot sneak attack during combat and any defending casualties are immediately removed.  This is because they were able to sneak in and weren’t seen on radar.  After that first round, combat proceeds normally.  Also, attacking fighters with stealth tech are immune to AA gun fire.  This might be a little futuristic for this game, but what the heck?
    #19 - Increased Naval Engine Efficiency = Naval units can move 3 spaces.  Like I mentioned before, I guess starting from a Naval Base would let them move 4.  Do you think this would be too much?  It would be a heck of an advantage, but it is also an expensive tech you had to research too.
    #20 - Minefields = I thought this one was pretty good too.  The defender rolls 1 die for each attacking land unit.  For each roll of 3 (not 3 or less, JUST 3), an attacking unit is destroyed and immediately removed from play.  After this round, combat proceeds normally.  Like AA guns for land units.  Not sure why I chose “3” for landmine hits, it could just as easily been “1”.  I guess I just wanted to be different.

Here is another idea:  Sea Minefields.  I don’t know why no one has included it in this game.  Sea Mines cost a lot of ships on both sides during the war.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these.  If you need any more info feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can.

• TripleA '12

I like some of those ideas - thank you very much for sharing them. I’m not sure if I would use them though. I will still use many of the regular techs like Paratroopers, etc but things like Heavy Tanks and Heavy Bombers will most likely be replaced by the practical tech side of things, whereby players can make their units better (heavier).

Here are a few more ideas I had, but not set in stone:

Improved ASDIC When attacking enemy Submarines, your Destroyers now subtract 1 from their dice roll. To gain this advantage each attacking Destroyer must be matched 1:1 with an enemy Submarine. E.g. if there are 2 Subs and 4 Destroyers, then only 2 of the Destroyers would gain the -1 to their attack roll.

Motorised Infantry Your Infantry can now move 2 spaces during the Non Combat Move phase.

Jet Bombers Your Bombers now ignore AA Gun fire when conducting SBR against enemy installations. However, they are still susceptible to AA Gun fire in regular combat.

• TripleA '12

The Battle Board:

BattleBoard.png

• TripleA '12

INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES

Minor Industrial Complex              COST: 8 UPGRADE COST: 7

Can produce: Infantry, Artillery, Anti Aircraft Guns, Fighters, Transports, Submarines, and Destroyers

Major Industrial Complex             COST: 15

Can produce: ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS: Tanks, Bombers, Cruisers, Aircraft Carriers and Battleships

An Industrial Complex (IC) can be built on any territory that your Power has controlled since the start of your turn. Minor ICs may only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 1 or more. Major ICs may only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or more. There is a limit of one IC per territory. An IC (either Minor or Major) may produce a maximum number of combat units equal to the IPC value of the territory upon which it sits - the only difference between Minor and Major ICs is their size (ability to withstand damage) and the types of units they can produce.
    Upgrade/Repair/Destroy

A Minor IC that your power has controlled since the start of your turn can be upgraded to a Major IC during the Purchase Units phase, for the cost of 7 IPCs (the IPC value of the territory upon which the IC sits is of no consequence). Pay the cost to the bank and replace the Minor IC with a Major IC. The Major IC is now effective immediately and can therefore produce Tanks, Bombers, Cruisers, Aircraft Carriers and Battleships immediately too. Any Damage counters on the IC prior to the upgrade will remain there until repaired in the normal way.

A Major IC can be downgraded to a Minor IC for no cost, during the Mobilise New Units phase. This is effective immediately - replace the Major IC with a Minor IC. (The German player may downgrade any Axis Minor Major IC at this time also.) As a result, the Minor IC may only produce Infantry, Artillery, Anti Aircraft Guns, Fighters, Transports, Submarines, and Destroyers on your next Purchase Units phase.

Both Major and Minor ICs which have been damaged (but not destroyed) by Strategic Bombing Raids (SBR) may be repaired during the Purchase Units phase, for the cost of 1 IPC per Damage counter. Pay the desired amount to the bank and remove that number of Damage counters from the IC. ICs that have been destroyed (either by SBR or by your own forces) must be rebuilt at their normal build cost.

Both Major and Minor ICs can be destroyed by your forces during your Noncombat Move phase, in order to prevent enemy capture. To do this, a minimum of 1 Infantry must either move into or remain in the territory with the IC under demolition, and may not move out of the territory. The IC is then removed from the map immediately. Only Infantry can do this. ICs cannot be destroyed by your forces during the Combat phase.

Example: the Soviet Union player wishes to destroy the IC in the territory of Odessa during his Non Combat Move phase, to keep it from falling into German hands. There are 2 Soviet Infantry in Odessa. He uses the 1st Infantry to remain there and destroy the IC, and retreats the 2nd Infantry into the neighbouring territory of Kharkov:

Soviets destroy Maj IC.PNG

• TripleA '12

INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES Cont…

Unit Placement

Newly purchased combat units must be placed at ICs that your power has controlled since the start of your turn: Land and air units must be placed into the territory upon which the IC sits. Sea units must be placed into a sea zone adjacent to the territory with the IC, so long as there is a Naval Base on the coastline that touches that sea zone.

For example, the IC in the territory of Northern Italy is adjacent to two sea zones; SZ 30 and SZ 31. However, as the Naval Base in Northern Italy is sitting on the coastline that touches SZ 30, newly purchased sea units may only be placed into SZ 30. If the Italian player bought another NB in Northern Italy and placed it on the coastline touching SZ 31, then he/she would be able to place new sea units into SZ 31 as well:

Italy buils ships.PNG

• TripleA '12

INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES Cont…

Strategic Bombing Raids

Both Minor and Major ICs can be damaged and even destroyed by enemy Bombers conducting a SBR. An IC can produce 1 less combat unit for each Damage counter on it. Therefore, an IC on a territory with an IPC value of 3, but which has 1 Damage counter on it may only produce 2 units that turn. ICs must be fully repaired in order to run at full production capacity.

ICs can receive a maximum number of Damage counters equal to twice the IPC value of the territory in which they sit, and still survive. Therefore, an IC in a territory worth 3 IPCs can receive a maximum of 6 Damage counters, although it won’t be able to produce any units until at least 4 of that damage has been repaired.

If an IC ever receives more damage than twice the IPC value of its territory, then the IC is destroyed. So, if an IC in a territory worth 3 IPCs ever receives 7 Damage counters or more, it is destroyed. ICs that are destroyed must be removed from the game map immediately. Any combat units in the Mobilisation Zone which you have produced but not yet placed must be placed at another IC, if you have one (during your next Mobilise New Units phase). If you do not have another IC, then these units are destroyed; remove them from the Mobilisation Zone. It is a bad thing indeed to lose your last IC!

Example: The Major IC based in the territory of East Germany can normally produce 6 units per turn. However, due to a recent SBR the IC has incurred 3 Damage counters. The IC can now only produce 3 units per turn until this damage is repaired: FIG. 1

In this next example, the same IC has now incurred 9 Damage counters, and cannot produce any units until at least 3 of them have been repaired: FIG. 2

And finally, having received 13 Damage counters (more than twice the IPC value of the territory) the same IC is now destroyed: FIG. 3

FIG.1  FIG.2  FIG.3.PNG

• Customizer

It’s really interesting how you have handlied ICs.  It seems like you have restricted them quite a bit, as well as making them vulnerable to destruction.  On the other hand, they are quite a bit cheaper than what we currently have.  It’s interesting to me the limitations of minor ICs, that they can only produce certain types of units.  I do think I like the ability to destroy ICs through SBRs and that you can remove your own to keep them from being captured.  USSR would really benefit from that in the new Alpha + 2 setup where they have a minor IC in the Ukraine.  I think the Germans really like that IC.

Yeah, I did notice as I was writing out the different tech developments that a number of mine are more or less covered by your practical improvements.  I still think I have a few pretty neat ideas.  Whether or not they are feasable for the game remains to be seen.  After all the work to come up with these, I don’t think I actually tried them out.

You have to tell the difference between major and minor air and naval bases.  I find it interesting that you locate the bases right on the coast of territories so even if that territory borders another sea zone, it can still only use the one side.  I assume an air base on any territory still can scramble to either sea zone?  What about scrambling to adjacent land territories?

• TripleA '12

Thanks again for your feedback, knp7765! I appreciate your comments on the ICs. I made my rules for these at the time that AAP40 came out although I don’t own that game or AAE40. I did originally put a Minor IC in the Soviet Union territory of Odessa, and I may return to that set up…

Theoretical Technology is still the biggest problem/challenge in my game so far, hence I concentrated on the D12/practical side of tech first. The practical is finished now and so I will concentrate on the theory part.

Major Air and Naval Bases are green and Minor Air and Naval Bases are blue. I will post the rules for these installations soon. In order to build sea units, you basically need an IC (major or minor) on a territory with an active Naval Base on one of its coast lines. The location of the Naval Base dictates where new sea units can be built. Only Naval Bases should be on coastlines.

More on Bases and scrambling soon.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m