• I was talking about sending a russian fig round 1 t take out the ger baltic navy (minus the subs of course). I think it would prevent a german naval build.

After much experimentation we always do the same as Russia round 1 - attack West Russia with 9 inf, 1 art, 2 tanks and Ukraine with 3 inf, 1 art, 2 trans and 2 figs. I’m ure this is pretty standard for many people.

• I am a great fan of Norwegian attack with both planes R R1. And I do not think the germans ships can be an effective counter to stop it. OK Gerrys buy ships, so I will keep buying the planes with UK, push hard with ruskies and get the us press from the southwest from R1.

My instinct is that R3, R4 the latest the gerrys will lose will to put anything on water any longer and will be sunk by the mighty UK RAF R4, R5 the latest while really suffering on the land. The thing is that any water even the Blatic one does not produce IPCs.

What I think is the strongest strategy to the counter the Norwegian gambit is the WR attack with all the units Germany got. Those are the games when Russia can really bleed hard and early.

• Sorry for the thread necromancy but I am very interested in spicing things up with my usual axis and allies opponent and giving the Norweigan Gambit a try.

Since this was discussed have any solid conclusions been drawn?  If R1 is a two fighter attack with all the available infantry and the arm, what other attacks are being used?  How is Caucasus protected?

• @bongaroo:

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I am very interested in spicing things up with my usual axis and allies opponent and giving the Norweigan Gambit a try.

Since this was discussed have any solid conclusions been drawn?  If R1 is a two fighter attack with all the available infantry and the arm, what other attacks are being used?  How is Caucasus protected

Either Caucasus is left with only 1 inf or you keep back some units to reinforce either Caucasus or West Russia, depending on dice results. The thing is, since Russia didn’t destroy those units on Ukraine, Germany can now hit either WRus with 10 and 6 planes or Caucasus with 9 units and 5 planes, plus battleship shot.

• @bongaroo:

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I am very interested in spicing things up with my usual axis and allies opponent and giving the Norweigan Gambit a try.

Since this was discussed have any solid conclusions been drawn?  If R1 is a two fighter attack with all the available infantry and the arm, what other attacks are being used?  How is Caucasus protected?

You can find the whole debate here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23001.0

While I think the majority of people tend to come to the conclusion that NG is a too risky opening, I still use and still consider it the best option for Russia.

• just played a game VS. Hobbes where he attacked norway R1 in LL and took it with 1 tank left, but I attacked west russia killing everything but a tank and retreated 3 german tanks. I don’t think attacking Norway is good in dice or in LL because in LL the attacker can know almost for certain that he will win the battle, and how many AA gun hits he will take (hobbes was new to the gametable interface and forgot to move the aa gun over to west russia which cost dearly). In dice Germany might get 4 or more hits in west russia making it a good option for germany to attack it with all planes and land that can reach. This is the main reason to attack ukraine. Not just because there is a fighter there, there is also a fighter in norway, but because Ukraine protects both west russia and Caucus from an attack. The 3 norway infantry can’t attack either west russia or Ukraine, and are in effect harmless. By attacking Norway you give germany 6 extra units it can attack caucus and west russia with and also 4 less units russia can defend with. If someone were to attack Norway and west russia, depending on rolls, I would recommend attacking west russia with everything that can reach besides 1 fighter to take back norway with.

• well, the debate is ongoing and you can see the issues you touch discussed in the link provided in my previous post.

Concerning the GTO, is there any way to get around their 160 coins? Is there lowluck option there? I never play lowluck, but i am just curious. I think I am not going to pay this when the soft looks to me less user friendly then TripleA. Do you ever play there?

• I can definitely say the Norway on R1 is not definitely recommended with Low Luck… Germany can and should take West Russia afterwards.

I started using GTO a few days ago and i’m on my 6th game already. Not sure if there’s a way around the 160 coins but that’s about 15$ and so far I think it was money well spend. You get more opposition than on TripleA, and while the interface is not as good as TripleA, it is effective once learned. But you’ll do a lot of silly mistakes (I am still doing them), just like when you started on TripleA.

• I recommend GTO if you are looking for a casual game as most games are very casual and you dont have to be there for every battle to press the space bar. Many times you can leave for your opponets entire turn and come back to play yours. Gametable does have bids and low luck, but the only problem with their bid system is the units go in specific places. You can’t say bid 3G and put an inf ind karelia. The game will automatically put it in africa with your tank and inf.

• '16 '15 '10

I agree the $ to activate 42 for GTO is well worth it if you are a fan of the game.  Since their ad is on the back of the aa42 box, new 42 players are registering there every day.  But keep in mind that a long good game will usually either start or be converted to a PBE game and that costs something like 25 cents a game.

ROCmonster my main criticism of GTO is that they don’t respond fast enough to user-suggested improvements.  TripleA’s open-source model seems to fix bugs and make improvements far quicker than GTO’s pay model.  And there are other issues.  But all those problems noted, GTO is a wonderful community of gamers and tons of fun, and the owners and operators are genuinely good people.

Interesting that you don’t recommend Norway in low luck Hobbes.  Do you recommend it in dice?  It’s been a while since I played the game so I have no idea whether wr/nor or ukr/wr is more popular these days–opinion among experts seemed split right down the middle when I stopped playing 42.

GCar…if you’re reading this, which opening is currently favored in the ladder league?

Most of my Axis losses (that didn’t happen against Hobbes) have been against a Norway R1, but that in itself doesn’t prove anything.

• Played today twice as Axis with LL. First one, Norwegian Gamble, and it is definitely not recommended since I simply hit and killed the Russian stack on WRus and retook Norway. The Allies messed up afterwards, but it really is the move because with a 5 inf, 5 arm buy it means some serious pressure on the Russians.

The second one had an uncommon start. Russia buys 1 fighter + 1 arm and 3 inf, attacks Belo and WRus, but keeps 1 armor back and moves it to Sinkiang to join 3 Russian inf there. It doesn’t stack Buryatia but leaves 1 inf and keeps all the rest at Yakut. Something was smelling bad for Japan, I suspected. So I bought 5 inf, 5 arm. And I attacked the Russian stack on WRus with 3 inf, 1 art, 3 arm and the entire German airforce against 7 inf, 3 art and 3 arm. Took WRus, sacrificing 3 fighters in the process, 1 hit by AA. And took Caucasus with an amphib assault, along with Karelia and Belo.
    Afterwards, Russia was simply beaten. The Germans moved a stack to WRus on G2 and the Japanese landed 5 fighters there on J2. Meanwhile the UK & US tried to scramble to Europe on time but one big US transport fleet got sunk by the Japanese airforce on SZ3. He surrendered afterwards.
    The key issue is really the AA - if it’s regular dice then the risk is much higher for those attacks. But if the Germans get any chance of hitting WRus on G1… it is usually devastating for Russia.

• @Zhukov44:

I agree the $ to activate 42 for GTO is well worth it if you are a fan of the game.  Since their ad is on the back of the aa42 box, new 42 players are registering there every day.  But keep in mind that a long good game will usually either start or be converted to a PBE game and that costs something like 25 cents a game.

ROCmonster my main criticism of GTO is that they don’t respond fast enough to user-suggested improvements.  TripleA’s open-source model seems to fix bugs and make improvements far quicker than GTO’s pay model.  And there are other issues.  But all those problems noted, GTO is a wonderful community of gamers and tons of fun, and the owners and operators are genuinely good people.

Interesting that you don’t recommend Norway in low luck Hobbes.  Do you recommend it in dice?  It’s been a while since I played the game so I have no idea whether wr/nor or ukr/wr is more popular these days–opinion among experts seemed split right down the middle when I stopped playing 42.

GCar…if you’re reading this, which opening is currently favored in the ladder league?

Most of my Axis losses (that didn’t happen against Hobbes) have been against a Norway R1, but that in itself doesn’t prove anything.

While I see Hobbes has renamed Norwegian Gambit to a Norwegian Gamble  :-D i am still unconvinced. In spite of ocassional losses I feel it serves me well, my last league win was with NG. I do not play low luck so I cannot tell how it works there, but i n dice I feel Germany gambles more with the G1 WR attack then Russia.

Well, I will give GTO second thought, but I really like how tripleA works. Since you have stopped playing V4, what are you playing these days, Zhuk?

• @Granada:

While I see Hobbes has renamed Norwegian Gambit to a Norwegian Gamble  :-D i am still unconvinced. In spite of ocassional losses I feel it serves me well, my last league win was with NG. I do not play low luck so I cannot tell how it works there, but i n dice I feel Germany gambles more with the G1 WR attack then Russia.

Well, I will give GTO second thought, but I really like how tripleA works. Since you have stopped playing V4, what are you playing these days, Zhuk?

Against LL it really turns into a gamble. If there’s only 12 units left on WRus then Germany should attack, even losing 2-3 fighters. Even with 13 units, which is the maximum Russia can get, the Germans can still hit and destroy the stack but at the cost of their entire AF.

• Well, you have to also see the prize Gerrys pay. I am inclined to say that if WR is the only attack they do I am an happy Allied player as long as I can destroy their remaining units on russian 2. I think I am over 50 % against attack on WR, even if Germany suceeded. The game basically turns into a slugfest then.

Gerrys are out of water, out of Africa, will never see Norway again, while the UK/US are all over it R3/4

But I really do not want to go into all the details again, its in the thread.

I originally came just to confess that I am registered on GTO. Played my first game, won with axis. It was a joy, since guy tried to KJF me and although he had sunk my complete japanese fleet R2 (had 9% to succeed, went for it and won), I got Mosocw R5, London R7 and the game was over.

Since there is no battle calc (at least i did not notice) and no sophisticated stats (TUV) the game feels much more like the playing experience at a real table. It also really seems there is much easier to find someone to play against then at TripleA, which is a pity since i really like the interface more and the community is great. I also noticed they have a league there, that looks much more competitive than the one there is at TripleA. Does anybody have any experience with that?

• Just had a 2nd game of the Norwegian Gamble (on Low Luck) as Axis.

The whole Eastern front simply collapses: WRus is attacked and taken, Caucasus taken with amphib assault (if 1-2 units) + bomber. Russian army is capable of retaking both, but Germany retains inf and armor on Karelia, E. Eur and Ukraine ready to strike back at both WRus and Caucasus.
    There are only few good options for the UK/US, anything while this is happening. On this game the UK send the Middle East units through Persia… but since they didn’t bothered with the Germans on Libya they lost control of Egypt. UK going to Persia helped the fight for Caucasus (which the Axis contested for every round) but it turned into a meat grinder that Russia couldn’t afford to.

• I still think the Norwegian gambit is the best option for allies ( even Hobbes showed me how to stop the axis in different way) but i will never use it in LL game. Many of GTO players rather go Pacific with USA rather then KGF so playing there u will prolly see many different strategies.

As for the league its running for about 7 months now, but unfortunately many top players left including Zhukov, FreshPrince, David Newell. I think only Gcar is left there but i see many new promising players  like El_Ravager.
    The major problem was that most of the players could play only pbem and that usually takes a lot of time and sometimes u cant finish the games on time which is very frustrating. The league is now prolly more challenging cause all the players are about of the same skill not like before when Zhuk was dominating the league.

• I think Hobbes hit the point on the head exactly about the norwegian attack. Russia needs the units that it sends to norway for west russia to defend against a counter attack by germany. If the russian forces all die Germany R1 I don’t see how this is a winning plan for the allies… Maybe Russia doesn’t fall by german hands, and Vs. a good allied player russia can hold Vs germany. The real problem is now japan is a lot stronger because it is able to make a ton of ground early and take russia’s money away.

• '16 '15 '10

@lukalion:

The major problem was that most of the players could play only pbem and that usually takes a lot of time and sometimes u cant finish the games on time which is very frustrating. The league is now prolly more challenging cause all the players are about of the same skill not like before when Zhuk was dominating the league.

Lukalion is being modest–technically Lukalion and I had the same record so we were co-champions.  But yeah it did seem like the competition was going to get harder with Axis strategies rapidly improving and talented players like El_Ravager and Football moving up.  It was time to get out while I was ahead :)

I burned out quick since 42 is so similar to Revised and I’d experienced Revised burnout before.  Even though aa50 is getting more technical I continue to prefer it at this time.

I find the GTO league format too demanding.  It takes alot of time/effort/analysis to win PBE games and since I hate losing, I was spending more time then I ought to on them.  While the league is alot of fun, I prefer a straight ratings format like the TripleA ladder.

Interesting discussion on Nor/WR.  I’m curious what people’s guidelines are on when it’s appropriate for Germany to counter WR following a standard Nor/WR opening for both dice and low luck.  If Russia loses 3 inf, do you go for it, or does Russia need to lose 4?

• @Zhukov44:

Interesting discussion on Nor/WR.  I’m curious what people’s guidelines are on when it’s appropriate for Germany to counter WR following a standard Nor/WR opening for both dice and low luck.  If Russia loses 3 inf, do you go for it, or does Russia need to lose 4?

With LL Russia needs only to lose 2 inf… which it will unless G rolls a 6 on the 1st round of combat on WRus. Russia is left with 7 inf, 2 art and 3 arm, Germany attacks with 6 inf, 1 art, 3 arm and 4 fighters. So it’s basically suicide for the Russians.

• @Hobbes:

@Zhukov44:

With LL Russia needs only to lose 2 inf… which it will unless G rolls a 6 on the 1st round of combat on WRus. Russia is left with 7 inf, 2 art and 3 arm, Germany attacks with 6 inf, 1 art, 3 arm and 4 fighters. So it’s basically suicide for the Russians.

Does that factor in the AA gun that should be on West Russia?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m