• In general, what are the best units for the US to use on transports to help liberate Europe?

1.  Tanks
    2.  Artillery
    3.  Mechanized Infantry
    4.  Only Infantry

I like to buy tanks and infantry.  If I am going to have to purchase so many transports, then I want to get the most offensive firepower possible for amphibious assaults.  I would love to purchase planes for Europe, but I feel they are more needed in the Pacific, especially now with Alpha Plus.  And of course, they cost even more than tanks.

I feel that I am probably being foolish by not buying only infantry or the cheaper artillery.

• Best bang for the buck is inf/art pairs. You can buy tanks or mech inf for your captured ICs if you really want some.

• Normally my amphib core will start w/2trts . I like to use 2 inf, one art, and one tank. I like to get the feel of a special forces group. The art makes one of my inf a marine. If I’m going w/more transports I try to keep the same ratios. I like art when doing amp to boost my inf. Attacking with mostly ones just doesn’t cut it for me (even w/air power).

• @WILD:

Normally my amphib core will start w/2trts . I like to use 2 inf, one art, and one tank. I like to get the feel of a special forces group. The art makes one of my inf a marine. If I’m going w/more transports I try to keep the same ratios. I like art when doing amp to boost my inf. Attacking with mostly ones just doesn’t cut it for me (even w/air power).

Actually, i like using the same balance (2inf/1art/1tank). But not all the time, often it will be 2 inf/2art. Once i bought mechs with USA and when i arrived at Gibraltar i was wondering why the bleep i bought them…

Only when USA decides to go on over land (Africa, or North Afrcia), while the transports go back for more forces, i’ll take a mech along.

• Yea when your doing amphibs your normally taking just one tt at a time, so mech really doesn’t help you unless they’re coming on the second wave to catch up.

The same could be said when invading Russia by land. Inf at the front because a good Russian player isn’t going to allow you to blitz, then build faster moving units to catch up or change direction.

• What about tanks vs. artillery on defense?  After an amphibious assault in Europe (Normandy for example), Germany and Italy will retaliate.  Tanks are better on defense than artillery.  Is the extra cost for tanks worth it?

• @MayDay:

What about tanks vs. artillery on defense?  After an amphibious assault in Europe (Normandy for example), Germany and Italy will retaliate.  Tanks are better on defense than artillery.  Is the extra cost for tanks worth it?

Mmm, a tank is only abit better than an inf for double the price…

If your (remaining) force is large enough to withstand an attack it might be, but if you just got a few units left, then i think it’s pity about the tank.
    I guess it depends on if you want to sting or actually take and keep the territory. And on the strength of the coming counter attack.

Finally my choice for tank or inf will depend on the budget i have a USA, if changing a tank to an inf means i can send 1 more full transporter, i’ll probably chose for that. It’s often a counting puzzle and that makes me a cheapskate

• I would always goe with 1 inf + 1 artillery per transport, unless you’ve got a few extra IPC’s floating around and want to throw in a tank on a larger landing force (I would never go more than 1 tank with 2 inf and an artillery though … and even then I’d be more inclined to go with 3 transports with 1 tank, 3 inf, 2 art if I’m using tanks at all).  It’s all a matter of cost vs. effectiveness really.

• Thanks everyone.  I am now convinced that artillery is a better choice for most situations.  If I have some extra IPCs, I will mix in a few tanks or 2 inf on a transport to get an extra fully loaded transport.

• artillery is good, and often underestimated.

Keep in mind though, that in certain situations, when you have tactical bombers closeby, and no fighters, you’ll be happy you have that occasional tank  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m