• @Tavenier:

Strafing France means hitting it with planes to soften it up for Italy, right?

That way those planes are not sinking Brits.

Germany can TAKE Paris with just land units. Strafing means killing most of them and retreating at the last second

• G3 seems optimal for me, massing the right troops in the right place.

• Okay, thanks. I thought the English word strafing only had to do with planes.

I think G2 or G3 is best to attack Russia.

• @Tavenier:

Okay, thanks. I thought the English word strafing only had to do with planes.

Yeah, I’ve heard of the plane one. In real-life usage, it is attacking with planes. In axis and allies terminology, strafing can be that, or what I’ve described. It’s basically any attack where you intend to kill enemy units without taking the territory

• @Napoleon:

G3 seems optimal for me, massing the right troops in the right place.

I like the G3, or even G4 attack depending on how the battles are going, unit placements etc. The more ground units Germany gets on the ground the better in the frist few turns. Once the US gets involved it will be harder to send men to the East front. Tacs and fighters and bombers will be invaluable for their ability to be used in destroying fleets, and Russians with little to no trunaround. In the later rounds I can see alot of tank, and mech purchases to rush units to hot zones.

I think a G1 Barbarose helps the Allies and spells the end of the game for the Axis, unless they get amazing rolls.

• @Tavenier:

G2? You won’t have enough on the front line, they would be in France.

• All stuff you can’t throw against France can be positioned. In the north you gain 4 Finns. In the south 4 Bulgarians. On G2 your airforce will be able to be used against Russia. And then of course the stuff you have bought on G1.

In non combat you can leave your western inf to defend the coast line and all fast troops can be used as a follow up on the eastern front.

In this scenario I don’t take Yugo, of course. It only gives you 2 IPC while it cost you at least 2 inf (6 IPC) and keeps a lot of your troops too far away from the real action. Leave the Balkans for Italy. Especially if they lose their fleet they can still progress if Greece and Yugo are theirs to conquer.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Tavenier:

Yeah, I’ve heard of the plane one. In real-life usage, it is attacking with planes. In axis and allies terminology, strafing can be that, or what I’ve described. It’s basically any attack where you intend to kill enemy units without taking the territory

Interesting.  We have always called it a “probing attack”, where you test the waters and see how the first round works out, with no initial intention of taking the territory…  mostly just to weaken the enemy front and or draw his attention there.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Tavenier:

Interesting.  We have always called it a “probing attack”, where you test the waters and see how the first round works out, with no initial intention of taking the territory…  mostly just to weaken the enemy front and or draw his attention there.

One example is a big Russian Stack in Russia surrounded by a German and Japanese medium stacks. Russia strafes the Japan stack, killing all but 2 units, then retreats into Russia to protect it from the German stack

• Back to the topic at hand, played my first game last night and did a G2 attack. I did not like it. You don’t have enough troops to be really decisive and you’re only killing single infantry if the ruffians are smart. It’s amazing how quickly they can turn that front into a quagmire. I think a g1 or g4 attack will be best.

• You can always only attack inf in Russia. On G1 there is nothing else on the Russian border and on every other turn Russia will be smart enough to leave only inf at the border.

• I know you’re only ever getting infantry. The difference is, on turn 1 you can kill 8 infantry, and even though you’ll have very little left, Russia will have almost nothing in their second line. On turn 2, you only kill 3 infantry, and though you’ll be much stronger, Russia already has a good strike back capability.

• @purplebaron:

I know you’re only ever getting infantry. The difference is, on turn 1 you can kill 8 infantry, and even though you’ll have very little left, Russia will have almost nothing in their second line. On turn 2, you only kill 3 infantry, and though you’ll be much stronger, Russia already has a good strike back capability.

What? Leningrad has 6 inf, and Belarus has 3.

• I might go G1 next game. In a way this is like the first pacific game. The axis are counting turns until america gets too strong to resist.

By taking most or all of that front line germany is one turn closer to threatening moscow, sneaking through the caucasus on the way to india or at least doing something important

• @GrizzlyMan:

The biggest problem I see with a G1 Barbarossa is that the Luftwaffe can’t join in if they are attacking the Royal Navy. And if the Germans do allovate their air force eastward, they don’t completely negate the threat posed by the Royal Navy. I oculd see a G2 Barbarossa being plausible, but G1 is premature.

On the one hand I agree, but on the other, as the initial poster said; in all the games I’ve played so far (3), the Russians withdrew from the border territories on turn 1, thereby consolodating their forces, while the Germans are losing theitrs in France, at sea and in Yugoslavia. It’s certainly worth a try to try and attack Russia on G1, I assume… At least it will cost Russia too and they start off very weak.

• From my initial look at the board, I don’t think Germany should attack until G3.  On G1, Germany can activate Finland with an infantry and artillery on the transport (and the transport will be safe because UK can’t land planes in Russia (from movement rules and major power neutrals) and can’t send ships through the strait, and activate Bulgaria.  Then on G2 the transport returns to 112 (I think) and the Bulgarian infantry move 1 territory into position.  Thus for G3, the transport can be used again to amphibiously assault Russia and the Bulgarian infantry can be used in the first attack.

• @Koningstiger:

On the one hand I agree, but on the other, as the initial poster said; in all the games I’ve played so far (3), the Russians withdrew from the border territories on turn 1, thereby consolodating their forces, while the Germans are losing theitrs in France, at sea and in Yugoslavia. It’s certainly worth a try to try and attack Russia on G1, I assume… At least it will cost Russia too and they start off very weak.

From this Axis and Allies version of the European front, I can see why Stalin ordered “Not one step back!”  If Russia gives up all their border territories, the Germany has “airbases” (not literal) that are only 3 moves from Moscow, so now it can be strategically bombed (Leningrad and Stalingrad are already in range).

• @Col.:

@Koningstiger:

From this Axis and Allies version of the European front, I can see why Stalin ordered “Not one step back!”  If Russia gives up all their border territories, the Germany has “airbases” (not literal) that are only 3 moves from Moscow, so now it can be strategically bombed (Leningrad and Stalingrad are already in range).

Until stalingrad this policy actually backfired on the Russians as large Russian troop concentrations were encircled and decimated by German attacks.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about any strategic bombardments. Germany only starts off with one strategic bomber and any defending fifhters as well as the factory in-built AA gun will hit the bomber (s) on a 2 or less…

• Are dogfights a standard rule?

In built AA’s don’t hit an a 2 or less. Neither does any other AA until (in global) you research radar.

• @Tavenier:

Are dogfights a standard rule?

In built AA’s don’t hit an a 2 or less. Neither does any other AA until (in global) you research radar.

I do believe it’s a standard rule in Europe and global unlike in A&A 50 where it’s an optional rule. So yes, defending FIGHTERS can defend against a strategic bombing raid (on either a factory or an installation (airbase, naval base) and defend on a 2 and hit attacking fighters or bombers (owner’s choice). Afterwards, any surviving bombers (only) can still be hit by the in-built AA guns. You’re right that those indeed only hit on a 1, unless you have the radar technology (GLOBAL only).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m