• @Plasticdeathbydice:

Plan on lots of time, nourishment, and caffiene……this is an all day affair kiddies…the first few rounds are a killer time wise…starts to speed up say, 8 rounds in?

That’s for sure.  I know from playing all the Pacific Allies that usually I’m planning what each power is going to buy and general combat/non combat moves while the Japanese player is on his/her turn.

I can only hope this will help speed things up for Global but I imagine it will take several rounds before I get used to the game.

• '22 '19 '18

For those that have played, is the J1 attack on US/UK being done consistently?  How is that playing out with US in war quicker?

• J1 attack was done 2 out of our 3 games so far.  Japan needs to kick its economy into overdrive ASAP in order to be able to smash the Russians as quickly as possible IMHO.  It seems to me the US reaches critical mass in units around t4 or t5 tops almost regardless of whether it collected its extra IPC’s the first 3 turns or not and therefore its worth the risk of seeing the US in Europe a turn or two early because you need the Japs knocking on the door to Moscow in force when the US is finishing off Italy and preparing to push to Berlin.  Japan can’t do this if its IPC’s are hanging in the 30’s its first 3 turns.  Just my 2 cents.

• I turned into a J2 or J3 attacker kn Pacific40. Just seemed there was more to do in asia killing chinese and getting to the doorsteps of india.

Most folks just go all out with japan and with plenty of success. Its very difficult to cordinate the multi national forces in the pacific. Makes the US player happier i am sure just to have dice to roll.

In europe i dunno how i will ever get around to attacking the brits or americans. Russia keeps tempting me i to slaughtering their 16 to 18 inf on the first round. I cant resist even though it greatly slows me down in india and china.

• Can anyone share how the French units contribute to their games?

• its handy to have extra units on the board that move after the opposing team. The french navy can be put in the way of an amphibious landing easy enough. I also leave their inf behind in africa to prevent blitzing when retreating.

Similar to real life the French arent storming the beaches at anzio or normandy but especially when i am playing england we’re not turning down free hel

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

its handy to have extra units on the board that move after the opposing team. The french navy can be put in the way of an amphibious landing easy enough. I also leave their inf behind in africa to prevent blitzing when retreating.

Similar to real life the French arent storming the beaches at anzio or normandy but especially when i am playing england we’re not turning down free hel

Free French forces were the first Allied troops in Normandy.  :-D

• I have had a lot of fun playing the first 3 games with my friends but we are noticing some trends.  If the US player is determined to shoot through the Gilbartar and then to Italy it can crush the Italians as easy as Japan can crush India in the Pacific.  If the US player is doing this is it leaves no choice for the the Germans but to call off Sea lion and give up on driving deep into Russia.  They then have to go into defensive mood and hope Japan can clear a path to Moscow before America and Britian seize Berlin.

There seems to be no incentive for the Americans to really spend any points in the Pacific.  Taking Japan would be a huge task almost impossible and in this version the islands are far away and America is not allowed to build factories on them.  I still have much to learn but it seems to me by far the best path for america is to seize Rome or possibly shoot up to Norway, capture it and build a major factory there.

I am curious to take the axis out for a spin because I have been allies the first 3 games.

• I was actually fairly worried about that strategy of wiping out a weaker Italy with a 100 IPC strong United States.  At Maximum Italy will only make about 30-40 IPCS which is not half of what America makes.  I was planning on doing this my first game as America and not buying anything for the pacific and just working to smoke Europe with some serious funds. 
    What turns has Japan declared war against the allies, is it still a majority J1 strategy?  I would assume that depriving Asia of 20 IPCS in the DEI is more worth it than keeping the American income down.  I mean during those turns America will be buying transports and troops and shipping them to the borders of Britain and Gibraltar immediately.  It seems like in turn 3 they can just unleash what they have in the North African area and the Italians are then in serious trouble.

• A J2 or J3 dec of war would keep the USA from demolishing Italy so easily I would assume.

• Jeez, the Allies are letting Japan get away with India and are still winning games?

Maybe the Japanese player isn’t doing his job of moving enough forces into Africa and Europe.

One tactic that worked well in AA50 was for Germany to either build a factory in France or a fleet in the Baltic, and somehow contrive a way for a German carrier to be put/sent into the Med to help Italy out.  After a few turns Italy could afford CVs of its own, so Italian CVs were built with extra German fighters on it to stack with the German fleet off Gibraltar.  This usually worked pretty good holding off the Brits and US for a few turns.  THEN, after Japan has taken India, they send a few loaded CVs, BB, and planes up through the Suez to join up with the rest of the Axis to hold the Med.  Usually Japan at this point can finish taking over Moscow from the Nazis and initiates the final attacks to destroy the Western fleets in the Atlantic.

If you can force the Allies into spending their $$$ on ships and planes for a combined Axis fleet battle that can be reinforced easily around Italy, you can essentially split the Western Allies forces since they can only attack with one power a turn, versus you defending with three.  This way they also never can come up with the $ for transports much less ground troops for invading the mainland.  If Italy can hold in the Med, pretty much the rest of the Axis are safe as well since it would take a lot of time for the Allies to manuever their ships towards Germany.  If you hold the Allies at Gibraltar they can’t even send troops to Africa, which will eventually leave Britain as a rump state as Italy takes all of it.

• @SgtBlitz:

Jeez, the Allies are letting Japan get away with India and are still winning games?

Maybe the Japanese player isn’t doing his job of moving enough forces into Africa and Europe.

One tactic that worked well in AA50 was for Germany to either build a factory in France or a fleet in the Baltic, and somehow contrive a way for a German carrier to be put/sent into the Med to help Italy out.  After a few turns Italy could afford CVs of its own, so Italian CVs were built with extra German fighters on it to stack with the German fleet off Gibraltar.  This usually worked pretty good holding off the Brits and US for a few turns.  THEN, after Japan has taken India, they send a few loaded CVs, BB, and planes up through the Suez to join up with the rest of the Axis to hold the Med.  Usually Japan at this point can finish taking over Moscow from the Nazis and initiates the final attacks to destroy the Western fleets in the Atlantic.

If you can force the Allies into spending their $$$ on ships and planes for a combined Axis fleet battle that can be reinforced easily around Italy, you can essentially split the Western Allies forces since they can only attack with one power a turn, versus you defending with three.  This way they also never can come up with the $ for transports much less ground troops for invading the mainland.  If Italy can hold in the Med, pretty much the rest of the Axis are safe as well since it would take a lot of time for the Allies to manuever their ships towards Germany.  If you hold the Allies at Gibraltar they can’t even send troops to Africa, which will eventually leave Britain as a rump state as Italy takes all of it.

If you see Japanese ships in the Med, especially in this game, the allies have done something veeeeery wrong.

• The French landed at Normandy!? Later when i am using a real pc i will have to read up. Playing Onslaught i dont remember them giving me a square French infantry man first turn lol.

Thanks for the tip. Playing war games has gotten me to read more about history. Which was it the war at sea guys sent to to u tube to watch….the Barham getting hit by U331? Think i have the names right.

• How are the Italians doing? Has the UK been able to rally against them in Africa and the Med while still keeping Germany at bay? Or has Italy completely annihalated Africa and taken the Middle East?

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

The French landed at Normandy!? Later when i am using a real pc i will have to read up. Playing Onslaught i dont remember them giving me a square French infantry man first turn lol.

Thanks for the tip. Playing war games has gotten me to read more about history. Which was it the war at sea guys sent to to u tube to watch….the Barham getting hit by U331? Think i have the names right.

Yes, Free French troops were among the Allied landing beaches (mostly with the Brits), but they were the first Allied troops to land there, as French SAS commandos landed in Brittany.

• The more I’ve played this game so far the more it seems to benefit the Axis the most for Germany to preserve its forces after its G1 offensives and not commit to any sort of attack against either Russia or Britain.  Even a successful Sea lion ( the earliest I can see this being feasible is G3) will be snatched back in US4 which means the IPC bonus from the conquest doesn’t even come close to defraying the cost spent in making it happen in the first place.  On the Russian side of things I see even less chance of success for Germany as there seems to be no viable way of coming close to Moscow with the force necessary to beat the 10 R inf deploying there every turn before the first US transport convoys are rolling into a completely inadequately defended Italy.  The Germans in Russia are then forced to retreat back to Berlin to shore up defenses there (if it’s not already too late) thus begging the question why bother in the first place?  Isn’t it better just to leave the Germans in position to defend Denmark, West Germany and Gibraltar?  All of which eventually become hopeless fights as the US continues to leverage its overwhelming IPC advantage and Germany is forced to retreat to Berlin for its last stand while hoping the Japs can take Moscow before the US take all of Europe.

I kinda wish Germany could just occupy Italy turn 1 so the Axis could actually get something going in the Med.  :-D  As it is, removing the Indian fighters from India to Africa allows the Brits to lock down Africa and eventually the Med. as well when the Brit ships fleeing the Pacific make their way through the Suez.  Italy just can’t seem to really contribute anything substantial to the game except to hand over already built IC’s to their new American overlords.  It just seems to me the Axis situation in Europe is ultimately hopeless in the face of US industrial might, and any Jap strat I’ve come up with so far to lock up the US is solely dependent on whether the US player has any idea how to play the game, and all of which are far more risky than just gunning straight for Russia.

TL:DR
    Global 40 seems to be Monster US beating up on Germany vs Monster Japan beating up on Russia.

• It is far easier for the combined Axis to defend the Med and keep pressure on Russia vs. the Allies defending Russia and keeping pressure on Europe.

• @Plasticdeathbydice:

It is far easier for the combined Axis to defend the Med and keep pressure on Russia vs. the Allies defending Russia and keeping pressure on Europe.

Which is why you shouldn’t ignore Japan. Jap ships in the Med, especially in this map, means the allies are already losing

• @Chompers#2:

I have had a lot of fun playing the first 3 games with my friends but we are noticing some trends.  If the US player is determined to shoot through the Gilbartar and then to Italy it can crush the Italians as easy as Japan can crush India in the Pacific.  If the US player is doing this is it leaves no choice for the the Germans but to call off Sea lion and give up on driving deep into Russia.  They then have to go into defensive mood and hope Japan can clear a path to Moscow before America and Britian seize Berlin.

There seems to be no incentive for the Americans to really spend any points in the Pacific.  Taking Japan would be a huge task almost impossible and in this version the islands are far away and America is not allowed to build factories on them.  I still have much to learn but it seems to me by far the best path for america is to seize Rome or possibly shoot up to Norway, capture it and build a major factory there.

I am curious to take the axis out for a spin because I have been allies the first 3 games.

In these games Japan must be attacking early? The US can’t be in the Med or anywhere near Italy by US3 unless at war. The US is not even allowed to be on the coast of UK, Europe, or Africa until at war. Sounds like Japan must be attacking J1 or J2 in order for Italy to fall before Germany is ready.

• It’s annoying how the people continue having ilusions about ignoring Japan in Global

First, Japan is not forced to attack J1 and I guess that in Global is a really bad idea letting USA attack the West Axis so early. A wise Japan will prevent any early Italia-Crush just not attacking USA until, at least, J3, thus having free reign to attack China and Siberia without much distractions

Second, USA cannot afford lose the war in the Pacific or ignoring that theater for that matters. If so, not only Australia, Hawaii, China, Siberia and India will be easy prey for Japan: USA will lose 12 IPCs by raid convoys. This means that USA is going to collect about 67-70 IPCs, not 100 as someone want think. Do you still think that you can crush Italy with full 67-70 IPCs? Bad news for you are …

Third, and more important than 1 & 2: if ignored, Japan could annoy Siberia, Middle East, etc, that’s true. But their main target is not Moscow, it’s Los Angeles. Did you noticed that Tokyo is, at least in game terms, nearer to Los Angeles than to Moscow? Japan has enough power to invade America, and when I say America, I mean all America, from Chile to Alaska. The simplest way is the classic Polar Express to Alaska. This time is even more powerfull since that Japan can pop a scary total of 20 infs a turn at Alaska each turn (Manchuria and Japan ICs) and you cannot use the old trick of buying at WUSA, because the road to East Canada is not too long and because, man, it’s 20 japs vs 10 yankees … and surprise! Maybe you could use your new Springfield (CUSA) IC to stop the japs? That will need about 60 of your 70 ICPs  :wink: See the pattern? If you are too busy defending mainland all America, you are going to have serious problems to ferry some type of aid to Europe

So, in resume, as it was both in AA50 and in Revised, USA cannot ignore Japan unless that Japan wants allow that. And since there are so many advantages for Japan to attack America, USA will be forced to fight them, so it’s better doing it in the Pacific (probably saving at least Hawaii and ANZAC) than in mainland America. And I’m pretty sure that Mr. Harris ensured that the things were this way

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m