• Axis…
    Germany should just buy troops the first turn, fight russia, defend western europe, try to expand in Africa, and pick off undefended transports. They need to hold off the allies until japan can take Russia.

Japan needs to buils an IC in Asia the first turn. It doesn’t really matter where it’s placed, but if India falls, I usually place in in Burma. Japan can then plonk down 3 tanks a turn in asia. This allows them to quickly get to russia. They also need to strike the US navy in Hawaii the first turn. This will set the US back several turns and allow the Jap planes to help in asia.

Allies…
    The key is for Eng to place an IC in South Africa. India is too risky. They can then place 2 tanks a turn and gradually wipe out the germans in africa and slow the japanese. They also should build up troops in Eng so Germany can’t invade them. Eventually they buiold transports and start moving them to the mainland.

The US should build lots of bombers and transports the first few turns. Industrial bombing of germany can really kill them. They can start transporting lots of troops the africa once germany is gone and slowly move them in to help russia by turns 4 or 5.

Russia should just build troops and attack if they have an overwhlming advantage. Their goal is to remain alive for 4 or more turns until the US and Eng can attack the axis.

• That’s how you do it … that’s almost exactly what I do!!

Mista Biggs 8)

• i gambit the med build an air craft carrier and take control of the atlantic and close in britan and crush the bastards!!! 8) :wink: :evil:

• @Kidhorn:

Allies…
    The key is for Eng to place an IC in South Africa. India is too risky. They can then place 2 tanks a turn and gradually wipe out the germans in africa and slow the japanese. They also should build up troops in Eng so Germany can’t invade them. Eventually they buiold transports and start moving them to the mainland.

The US should build lots of bombers and transports the first few turns. Industrial bombing of germany can really kill them. They can start transporting lots of troops the africa once germany is gone and slowly move them in to help russia by turns 4 or 5.

Russia should just build troops and attack if they have an overwhlming advantage. Their goal is to remain alive for 4 or more turns until the US and Eng can attack the axis.

Don’t put an IC in S. Af. All this does is give Japan or Germany a free IC. Big waste of money. Also Germany is not going to invade England. Buy Transports, then INF/ARM

The US should not buy bombers until later in the game. They need to set up the shuck. Aircraft will slow the shuck down.

On a side note, I must be doing something wrong with the Allies, because I never buy an IC with England and Russia always seems to be putting the pressure on Germany BEFORE the USA arrives. The key is to not always buy INF with Russia. The right mix of ARM is very helpful in keeping Germany at bay.

• I agree U.S.A. should establish the shuck-shuck A.S.A.P.

However, if Germany controls the Atlantic – this is not possible right away.

I wouldn’t put an I.C. in S. Africa either, but if it was done – I don’t see how it would be easily taken by Germany or Japan. It would take either one of them a couple of turns to reach it (at least) and by then it would be to heavily guarded.

• @MistaBiggs:

I agree U.S.A. should establish the shuck-shuck A.S.A.P.

However, if Germany controls the Atlantic – this is not possible right away.

I wouldn’t put an I.C. in S. Africa either, but if it was done – I don’t see how it would be easily taken by Germany or Japan. It would take either one of them a couple of turns to reach it (at least) and by then it would be to heavily guarded.

When does Germany ever control the Atlantic? The only time is if Germany got through Germany 1 with its airforce intact and all of its boats, which assumes unlikely dice. If you are playing non-RR, then Germany is almost always down at least one FTR before they even take a turn. Even if this very unlikely scenario happens, Germany may only control the Atlantic for 1 turn. By the end of turn 2, it will be Allied waters for sure.

Regarding the African IC: If UK spends 15 IPC’s on an IC on Turn 1 and spends at least 10 more IPC’s on turn 2 (for the ARM), this means that Germany has no threat from the Atlantic. [now I understand why Germany ‘controls’ the Atlantic]. Hence, Germany and Japan can send units to Africa over the next couple of turns. Yes the UK will control the IC for a few rounds, but the UK will spend a lot of IPC’s to defend 9 IPC’s of territory.

• As far as putting pressure on Germany goes, it’s primarily a matter of luck and how the German player utilizes his production and forces. Personally, I believe it can be done, but I’d like to hear your strategy, unless it has to do w/ Russia attacking Finland/Norway R1.

• S Af i.c. - not a terrible idea. I think that Germany would never take it if playing a decent UK player. Japan might, but that would be pretty difficult and take quite a bit of time, leading some key resources from the mainland.
    True the UK is using a lot of ipc’s for 9 ipcs worth of territory, however that 9 for UK is looking much sweeter than 9 for Germany. Also how about a UK2 ic after trns are put into the ocean? It is still having an income of around 22 or greater (that’s 2 arm, plus 4 inf to shuck onto the mainland).

• @Grigoriy:

As far as putting pressure on Germany goes, it’s primarily a matter of luck and how the German player utilizes his production and forces. Personally, I believe it can be done, but I’d like to hear your strategy, unless it has to do w/ Russia attacking Finland/Norway R1.

As with everything in this game…it depends…especially where the bid goes.

Many times on R1, I will attack Ukraine to either take or strafe. The ARM in SFE moves to Nov.

On R2, buy 3 INF (or 4 INF if you took Ukr) and 3 ARM. This is usually based on how the German bid fared on G1 (are the extra units in Europe, Africa or Asia). Also, many times Germany will buy 1 TRN on G1 or will ship 2 more units to Africa. This means not enough resources to defend the fatherland. I will usually just take (or retake) Ukraine.

I do NOT attack Finland. I usually leave that for the UK/USA. If you want to pressure Germany early, you need to make sure all INF on the western front are in position to move into EEu on R3. Many times, Germany will picket EEu. This gives the Allies one more turn to set up which is critical in the early rounds.

I have played games where Germany never solidly holds EEu again. Of course, they can always give up WEu, but that is a trade the Allies will gladly take.

• @cystic:

S Af i.c. - not a terrible idea. I think that Germany would never take it if playing a decent UK player. Japan might, but that would be pretty difficult and take quite a bit of time, leading some key resources from the mainland.
    True the UK is using a lot of ipc’s for 9 ipcs worth of territory, however that 9 for UK is looking much sweeter than 9 for Germany. Also how about a UK2 ic after trns are put into the ocean? It is still having an income of around 22 or greater (that’s 2 arm, plus 4 inf to shuck onto the mainland).

I agree, a S. Af IC is not a terrible idea. However, it is not a good or a great idea either. I would say it lies somewhere between bad and fair.

To start with, more than likely Germany cleared the UK capital ships. Thus, if UK wants a navy, it must buy a capital ship on UK 1.

As the Axis, if I saw this, I would be thinking that valuable Allied resources are now going to be built in Africa. A whole 3-4 turns from action. Of course you could choose not to place units there, but then the 15 IPC’s were wasted.

All this does is delay pressure on Germany. It is much more effective to build a fleet and shuck troops to Africa if needed. An IC in Africa does not provide the flexibility the Allies need.

• @laststrike:

@cystic:

S Af i.c. - not a terrible idea. I think that Germany would never take it if playing a decent UK player. Japan might, but that would be pretty difficult and take quite a bit of time, leading some key resources from the mainland.

I agree, a S. Af IC is not a terrible idea. However, it is not a good or a great idea either. I would say it lies somewhere between bad and fair.

To start with, more than likely Germany cleared the UK capital ships. Thus, if UK wants a navy, it must buy a capital ship on UK 1.

As the Axis, if I saw this, I would be thinking that valuable Allied resources are now going to be built in Africa. A whole 3-4 turns from action. Of course you could choose not to place units there, but then the 15 IPC’s were wasted.

All this does is delay pressure on Germany. It is much more effective to build a fleet and shuck troops to Africa if needed. An IC in Africa does not provide the flexibility the Allies need.

you’re prolly right. I just like I.C.'s.

• I don’t like ICs either…and I believe India to be an average play at best and S Africa sub average…but thats just me… :)

However,

You can effectively do either and still have a fleet with little loss of momentum in Europe.

UK 1:

Build IC. Save 15 $…collect about 26-27$

US 1:

Build AC & 2 Trannies. Leave existing tranny at home. Ftrs to ECan/UK.

UK 2:

Build 3 Trannies. Build 1 Inf in UK. Build whatever else you want as ground units @ your IC.

US 2:

Move AC, 2 Ftrs & 3 Trannies to NorthSeaSz.

Summary:

At the end of round 2 you have AC, 2 Ftrs, 6 Trannies.

The US has enough troops to fill their load.

The UK has enough troops to fill their load as well.

You have about the same size fleet as you would otherwise have in total. Perhaps down 1 Tranny.

A UK 1 buy of AC & Tranny, rarely if ever moves on UK 2 anyway. So you end up in the same position after UK 2.

You sacrifice a potential UK 2 attack with 1 Tranny load which usually can’t occur anyway…or a 2 Inf dump in Finland. Same point applies to US 1 tranny (which usually pointlessly unloads 2 Inf in UK anyway).

You still have only 1 Capital ship and have simply shifted the investment from UK to US.

You still can attack/dump 3 US tranny loads into WE, F/N on US 2.

You can still dump 3 UK trannies into WE/Africa on UK 3.

Thus, a UK 1 IC build does not negate fleet action, and in fact, has marginal affects on Europe in the early game. This is not a reason to not build an IC…there are other reasons…but this one is easily ‘solved’.

Indeed, you even have the advantage of a potential freedom to use US Ftrs against Japan at Pearl on US 1 without having to worry about covering a UK 1 AC & Tranny. If the UK Ftrs go to Karelia on UK 1, you can use one or both to non-com land on the US AC on UK 2. Thus, when the US moves its fleet on US 2, you still have air cover for it. It all depends on whether you can/choose to risk US Ftrs against Pearl…even if you lose 1 or both, you still can send 1 or both UK Ftrs. Not that I am advocating this…just it opens an option if circumstances are right.

• thanks guest - finally someone looking at the UK extra IC idea logically.

• The strategies for russia and germany are good, Experienced players don’t put an IC on the mainland the first turn with japan if ever. and no offence but imho the usa and uk strategies are terrible. Sbr is generally looked down upon, I would many times leave my bomber where it is rather than chance it to an aa this depends though. the IC in south africa is great, now, you need to build an aa gun for it, and you have diverted a lot of forces from europe.
    These strategies may work for the standard rules, but the game is not balanced, you will usually need a bid for axis, and there will be extra units in africa, so it’s unlikely you will be able to hold the sa industry.

• There’s no way Germany can take the IC in South Africa. They can only transport 2 troops a turn and 2 troops can’t match 2 tanks. Anyway, Germany will likely lose their transport in Southern Europe the first turn.

If Japan has enough to take the IC in South Africa, the game’s pretty much over anyway.

The cost issue is simple, you can move two tanks from England per turn using 2 transports which will cost 16. Or you can use an IC in SA which will cost 15. To get the tanks in Africa using transports, you’ll need to protect the water around england and the water just to the south. The boats required to do this would be expensive.

You don’t need an AA gun in SA. Once the tanks take Africa, Which will definately occur after turn 3, if not sooner. there’s no place for an Axis bomber to land and even if it landed in Africa, it would be easy pickings. The only threat would be if the Axis had long range aircraft.

All I can say, is if you’re skepticle, give it a try. I think you’ll be surprised at how effective it is.

• You don’t allow the Germans to do what you ake into account for UK. They could build a transport and thus shuffle the same amount of troops to Africa. Plus: What would you use to attack the BB and then 2 Transports around Italy?
    The W.African Sub and a bomber go for the BB in the Med, the rest of Navy and Air force pounces on your UK home fleet.
    Sure, the eastern front will be even more defensive…. but will that make the difference, with 15 ICs in the first and 10 ICs each following round lacking for the 1-2-3 punch?

• As F_alk said +…
    you built the SAf IC but didn’t build anything there for 2 turns(or more.)

Besides that Japan could also have forces there by J3(not much) or J4(giving you trouble in combination with Germany.)

• England can easily remove the german navy from Southern Europe. It’s happened in every game I’ve played. They start with a bomber and many fighters and will likely have a battleship and sub to fight with also. Russia has two fighters that can hit the navy. The US has a bomber.

Germany buying ships in Souther Europe to protect the flow of units being tranported into Africa is a losing strategy. They would slowly be eaten away by Russia and even if they did take the IC in SA, it wouldn’t help them offensively.

• @Kidhorn:

….Anyway, Germany will likely lose their transport in Southern Europe the first turn…

Erhhh……perhaps you are in deep luck with the dices - but likley lose is to be a littel to optimistic, eh?

Most likley Germany will attack EGY with 3 inf and 1 amour facing off against 1 inf and 1 amr - in theory this should result in a fairly GER victory (eg. 2 inf + the amr)

Now the UK is left with 1 inf in SA, and 1 inf in Iraq (that imo should be transferred to india (using the tranny there) so that it would take JP a great deal to take out 3 inf and 1 fgt in a JP1 india-rush.

AND an IC in SA is to my belif not quite as usefull as in india, whilst the indian IC can be extra secured with the surviving US tropps making it a perfect place to put 3 amr every turn, the first 3 amr should be used to - slowley - push the GR player back out in the sea, and the remaining to pressurise JP so that they won’t reach Moskow……

If you place the IC i SA then your inf + fighter (including the US tropps) are sittingducks to the JP invasion of asia, and again the IC in SA is only covered by 1! inf the first round, making it worth a try for the germans.

So if the UK should have a IC => put it in asia - imho

• @Kidhorn:

England can easily remove the german navy from Southern Europe. It’s happened in every game I’ve played. They start with a bomber and many fighters and will likely have a battleship and sub to fight with also. Russia has two fighters that can hit the navy. The US has a bomber.
    Germany buying ships in Souther Europe to protect the flow of units being tranported into Africa is a losing strategy. They would slowly be eaten away by Russia and even if they did take the IC in SA, it wouldn’t help them offensively.

Ahm …which BB, which sub … i mean after the germans move…
    And how many fightersfor the UK? 2 AFAIR plus 1 from India. I’d be happy to see the latter one leave India, be assured of that.
    So, would you send 2 Russian fighters against a BB and 2 Transports (after the G1), or send any planes against that? … i doubt that.

The IC would not help, sure.
    But being eaten up by russia, well i dunno. The 1-2-3 punch would hardly work with the UK placing its IPCs elsewhere. Russia will hardly try to battle continuusly for say EE. For the more eastern german provinces … well, once the situation in Africa allows it, i would just send the whole fleet into the black sea and have a bit of fun.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m