• After playing AA50, the 1942 map looks far too basic in Europe, no nwe, no Baltic States, combining of the Balkans & Ukraines, etc means that the tactics will be much more simplified.  With the extra provinces, outmaneuvering is a key part of AA50 on the eastern front.  With the simplification of Europe this doesn’t seem the case, it looks to be more a who has more tanks wins game.  A good thing for a novice player i suppose and it will reduce the stalemates on the eastern front making for a quicker game.

The 7 Chinese provinces are gone, along with the micromanagement of playing and attacking China.  The 12 regions on the Asian mainland have been combined into just 5 .  This may be a good thing and should make life a little easier for the Japanese (as if they needed easier lives) and allow them to focus more on the Pacific.

I’ll definatly buy the game (if only for the pieces to add to AA50) and give it a go.

• But falcomrider. Why not just play on the revised board? I actually prefer the fact that the reviseed map is in a different style. As you say - reproducing the style of AA50 literally just makes this board seem like a dummied down version of that game.

Also we must remember - revised is a good boardgame in its own right!

• Here are a couple things that I don’t like about the 1942 board:

1. Why are the Americans in China in the first place?
    2. Why does Britain own practically all of Africa?
    3.Japan is as big as Australia.
    4. Africa looks like a Neanderthal’s head with a squashed noggin.
    5.The Atlantic is three sea zones across.
    6. Where did the name Evenki National Okrug come from?

• @bilbobaggins321:

Here are a couple things that I don’t like about the 1942 board:

1. Why are the Americans in China in the first place?

China had most of its support given by the US during WW2. Due to the order of play to give to China to the UK or Russia would unbalance the initial situation on Asia towards the Allies.

2. Why does Britain own practically all of Africa?

The UK is given the French and Belgian colonies, plus Italian East Africa, which was conquered in 1940. With the exception of the Portuguese and Spanish colonies, nearly all of Africa was within Allied hands during the war.

3.Japan is as big as Australia.
    4. Africa looks like a Neanderthal’s head with a squashed noggin.

I’m sure we could also find all other interesting features on the AA50 and AAP/E40 maps… ;)

5.The Atlantic is three sea zones across.

Still takes 2 rounds to bring units from the US to Europe. On Classic it only took 1.

6. Where did the name Evenki National Okrug come from?

Okrug = Russian/Soviet administrative division (like a province or a state).

• @Hobbes:

Okrug = Russian/Soviet administrative division (like a province or a state).

Yep.  I enjoyed the history lesson when I looked up “Evenki National Okrug” a year ago.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m