Lend-leasing of a French Foreign Legion?

• French Foreign Legion units are great in Africa. They do not face a penalty in Desert Terrain. But I think it would be illegal for France to Lend-lease one to Abyssinia.

Page 32, 7.9 Lend-Lease, “One military unit. Such a unit must be produced at a factory in the Home Country specifically for the purpose of lending.”

National Reference Sheet for France, French Foreign Legion, Notes, “Is a Colonial Infantry for placement purposes.”

Colonial Infantry, Notes, “May build in land zones with a point value outside Home Country.”

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast You can Lend-Lease it to Ethiopia. All minor powers original territory by definition is their home territory.

• @caesar-seriona I think you are missing the point. It isn’t the receiving Home Country requirement I’m worried about meeting. it is the sending Home Country requirement which forbids it.

The lend-leased unit must be built at a Home Country factory. Colonial Infantry are forbidden to be built in Home Country. French Foreign Legion are built following the Colonial Infantry rules. Logically then, French Foreign Legion cannot be a lend-leased unit.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast Okay. That’s a fair point. Then you would be right.

I personally think Lend-Lease needs a change on how it works. I think it should be a unit already built like how the US was just giving equipment out before Pearl Harbor on an IOU doc.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast I would agree. By that same notion, you can’t lend lease if you don’t have a home country factory slot, something many people forget. Also, by this, I don’t think you can lend lease militia.

• @trig You can lease militia because you CAN use a factory slot for militia.

• “Is a Colonial Infantry for placement purposes” means that it could be built without a factory. I do not see how this prevents from also building FFL at a factory for lend-lease purposes.

Same as Militia, as @Caesar-Seriona pointed out.

The limit of 2 FFL units per turn would apply however.

• @noneshallpass The colonial infantry and FFL is a grey zone in the rule. Go figure, another subjective rule. We don’t know if you can factory slot a colonial for the purpose of LL however the way you make it just requires a non home territory worth at least 1 IPP and you don’t need a factory which tells me you can’t LL.

• @caesar-seriona I do not believe you can lend-lease Militia. Page 49, 12.2 Unit types, Infantry Class, Militia, “Militia can only move within a Major Power’s Home Country.”

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast Movement has nothing to do with building or placement.

• @noneshallpass said in Lend-leasing of a French Foreign Legion?:

“Is a Colonial Infantry for placement purposes” means that it could be built without a factory. I do not see how this prevents from also building FFL at a factory for lend-lease purposes.

Ah, I get it. It depends on your definition of “may”.

I am saying “only may” and you are saying “also may”. But why does the rule include the phrase “outside Home Country”? I believe this weakens your position for “also may”. If they just wanted to say Colonial Infantry may also be built outside a factory, why in the world would they need to say “outside Home Country”? But if I’m correct, and you have to build Colonial Infantry in colonies, then “only may” makes more sense.

• @caesar-seriona said in Lend-leasing of a French Foreign Legion?:

@hbg-gw-enthusiast Movement has nothing to do with building or placement.

I am bewildered by this statement. Are you asserting lend-lease does not involve movement?

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast LL does not affect unit movement in it self. You’re quoting the movement of militia in terms of how to use it. LL has nothing to do with the unit’s movement. The rules are subjective as fuck, welcome to reading hell. However if a factory slot can be used to build militia, by the wording of LL, you can lease militia.

• @caesar-seriona Page 49, 12.2 Unit Types, Infantry Class, Militia, “The militia unit represents various types of local or immobile defense forces.”

Militia are immobile, with the exception they can move within Home Country. Your position is there is an exception where they can be built via a factory (something you have made up) and that they can be transported outside of Home Country (something you have made up), but then you complain that you don’t feel the rules are written well enough.

I will be the first one to agree with you that we can always strive to refine the rules, but you undermine your credibility when you make up rules. Once you go down that path of just making stuff up and arguing that the rules weren’t written clearly enough to forbid you from doing something, then you have set an impossible standard. General Hand Grenade laid out this principle, “If it isn’t in the rules, you can’t do it.” It’s a commonsense principle for gaming, don’t you agree?

Finally, there is the requirement for respect. Everyone deserves it innately, but particularly people who step up and volunteer. When you do not treat others with respect, it is likely people reading your comments will lose respect for you. That is the core principle of respect: Treat others as you would want to be treated. Some of the players with the greatest knowledge/understanding of this game are the most humble and thoughtful people. In my experience, they are always respectful. I say this with kindness and with respect for you, Caesar Seriona.

• If we had definitive answers to all these questions, this forum would be pointless.

Sometimes the answers are clearly in the rules but we missed them and sometimes they require interpretation and sometimes there is no answer to be derived from the existing rules and we get a FAQ or Errata.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast First of all. Use English Common Law with rules “if it’s not declared illegal, it’s there for legal”.

Second, Lend-Lease is not the act of sending men, you’re sending equipment and Militia is not militia as far as the game is concerned, its 2nd rate forces.

If you can build a militia off a factory slot, you can lend lease it. My group allows this. I know almost no one has ever argued against this except you.

• @caesar-seriona said in Lend-leasing of a French Foreign Legion?:

“if it’s not declared illegal, it’s there for legal”.

This is the crux of your struggle. No wonder you are disappointed with the rules for any game! You and I play checkers. I use pieces from another set and start with all my pieces as kings. I use Caesar Seriona reasoning that doing so isn’t explicitly forbidden and win. The game designer edits the rules to make that illegal. I use a hair dryer to blow all my opponents pieces off the map and win. The game designer edits the rules to make that illegal. I am going 2nd. I superglue all the pieces to the board and invoke the “if you can’t move, you lose” rule to win. The game designer edits the rules to make that illegal. Do you get the idea?

• Lol @HBG-GW-Enthusiast !

Made me laugh as much as the @GeneralHandGrenade example of building a Romulan War Bird since the rules do not say you can’t.

It has been stated multiple times that in GW1936 if the rules do not say that you can do something, you can’t do it.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast The crux is that you don’t understand how to read English Common Law.

• @caesar-seriona The point is that English common law works great in a courtroom, but not so great in a board game. It does not apply here.

It has been stated many times that the interpretative method in GW36 is "if it isn’t in the rules, it’s illegal."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf89zhCJ9Jk&t=165s

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m