• Hello out there…
    One question, if axis control egypt and allies trans jordan. can i just walk over the Suez canal in my combat phase???

PS:sorry for the bad Eng…  :|

• yes. you can move land/air units from Egypt to TransJordan and vice-versa like normal. if you want to use the canal for your ships,however,you must control both of these spaces.

• Sure! It’s specified on the Rulebook, “Canals”, page 7: “A canal is not considered a space, so it doesn’t
    block land movement: Land units can move freely between
    Trans-Jordan and Egypt.”

My eng is bad too, I’m italian… ^_^

• Hey, another question about canals.

For air unit movement:

If my side controls both Egypt and Trans Jordan, then for my air units movement, Sea Zones #15 and #34 are considered to be touching.  Right?  So for example, the Axis control Egypt and Trans-Jordan, and my Italian Fighter on Italy may fly to Italian East Africa by way of SZ#14, 15, 34 right?

But, if my side only controls Egypt, then that move is not a valid move, because Sea Zones #15 and #34 are then not considered to be touching.  Am I right or wrong?

• They are ALWAYS two separate sea zones no matter who controls Egypt and Trans-Jordan.  Moving from SZ15 to SZ 34 is one move.

• Official Q&A

Captain Jack’s right.  Air unit movement is never blocked by enemy units or enemy-controlled territories, so air units may move freely between sea zones connected by canals no matter who controls them.

• @Krieghund:

Captain Jack’s right.  Air unit movement is never blocked by enemy units or enemy-controlled territories, so air units may move freely between sea zones connected by canals no matter who controls them.

So let me get this straight.

Situation:  To avoid the German Air Force, the US player has 2 undefended (because he thinks that nothing can touch them), loaded Transports in SZ#19 by the West Indies preparing to liberate French West Africa next turn.  The Japanese player controls Hawaii and has a Long Range Bomber on it.

According to you, the Long Range Bomber can use his 8 moves like this take off into SZ#53, move into SZ#54, move into SZ#55, move into SZ#20, skip Panama and move into SZ#19 and destroy the 2 Transports, move into SZ#11, move into SZ#12, and finally for his 8th movement point, land on Morocco.  Is this a legal move?

• Yes. The canals do not affect air units. Ownership only matters as far as sea units are concerned.

• @a44bigdog:

Yes. The canals do not affect air units. Ownership only matters as far as sea units are concerned.

I’m not sure that you answered my question.  It seems that you are saying that air units do not move like sea units, which means that they are not subject to canal rules, which means that they can not use the canal, so therefore the proposed move is not legal because it must use one of its movement points to fly over Panama.

• Official Q&A

A plane uses one movement point to move from sea zone 20 to sea zone 19, or vice versa.  By doing this, it skips over the Panama territory.

If this seems counter-intuitive, think of it this way:  A ship uses one movement point to go from sea zone 20 to sea zone 19, so why should a plane use two?  Because of the canal joining the sea zones directly, air units can effectively treat Panama as an island territory.  That is to say that if they are going to Panama itself, they must enter that space and use a movement point to do so.  However, if thay are just “passing through”, they can skip the space, just as a plane would not count an island within a sea zone for movement purposes if it were just moving through the sea zone and not going to the island itself.

• Thanks for the answer.  I can see it both ways, but I want to play the game correctly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m