• @Historybuff:

I’d say the destroyer.

Which one?

• Interesting side note about the Enterprise, during the Battle of Santa Cruz, the radar tower was badly damaged, so an engineer went up there to repair and restore juice to it. They forgot to cut the power to the tower while he was up there working, when he repaired the tower and bridged the power to the tower it started spinning while he was hanging up there.  With enemy Vals and Zeros dropping bombs on the Enterprise, he spun up there for a good 20 minutes unaware by the captain.  When they finally  realized they had a man on the tower they cut the juice and got him down.  Talk about a horrifying experience!

• @RogertheShrubber:

Interesting side note about the Enterprise, during the Battle of Santa Cruz, the radar tower was badly damaged, so an engineer went up there to repair and restore juice to it. They forgot to cut the power to the tower while he was up there working, when he repaired the tower and bridged the power to the tower it started spinning while he was hanging up there.  With enemy Vals and Zeros dropping bombs on the Enterprise, he spun up there for a good 20 minutes unaware by the captain.  When they finally  realized they had a man on the tower they cut the juice and got him down.  Talk about a horrifying experience!

:-o…poor soul…

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

@Historybuff:

I’d say the destroyer.

Which one?

I meant all destroyers beacause they bore the brunt of the naval fighting.

• @Historybuff:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

@Historybuff:

I’d say the destroyer.

Which one?

I meant all destroyers beacause they bore the brunt of the naval fighting.

Which destroyer is your favorite?

• We’re looking for a proper noun.

• The destroyer Johnston that was part of Taffy 3 at the battle of Layte Gulf.  Beacause it fought bravely and was sunk in the face of overwhelming odds.

• Nice choice.  :-D

• U.S Iowa class (USS Wisconsin)
    Germany Bismark
    UK Hood
    They all changed the world

• 05055_GERMAN_AIRCRAFT_CARRIER.jpg

Nice pic, Adlertag.  I love the Graf Zep.  I wonder if she is defending her timber cargo in this Pic?  :roll:

• Type XXI U-boats the first real submarines…

• @Deaths:

Nice pic, Adlertag.  I love the Graf Zep.  I wonder if she is defending her timber cargo in this Pic?  :roll:

Just curious as to why you two rate a ship that never saw combat and was never operational as your favorite ship. Not wanting to sound negative, just curious more than anything.

o it’s not my favorite ship, I was commenting on the fact I like the pic.

• The Big E all the way for the US. The US would have been in trouble had she not survived.

For Germany - The Bismark was quite a ship and was ahead of its time. Only by a one in a million fluke shot that jammed the rudder where the Brits able to take advantage. I watched a documentary on it and it had anti torpedo capabilitites that where state of the art, very quick speed and major armaments. The only two remaining surviving German sailors admitted that they actually sunk their own ship so it would not fall into the enemies hands.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

IJN Yamato.
    Not a better looking ship!

• @Imperious:

AS far as firepower i prefer Musashi, because it took more punishment than any other warship to sink. Like 20 torpedoes and 15 bombs to sink it.

The Yamato class battleships were beasts no doubt, but what about Bismarck?

Bismarck absorbed a total of 400 shells of various calibers fired by British ships. 80 of which were heavy caliber 14-inch and 16-inch shells. This, in addition to at least 5 torpedo hits was still not enough to sink her! Everything above the waterline was completely destroyed but her hull was still sound and the engines were still functioning. The Germans decided to scuttle the ship rather than risk her being captured.

Dogfights: Sink the Bismarck

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Yes, Bismark was a good looking ship too. The American battleships were designed to fit through the Panama canal so they are not very wide which makes them not as good looking as Yamato and bismark. Both battleships had their advantages. If the yamato ever landed their 18.1" shell on a ship……ouch!

• Bismarck’s sister ship Tirpitz was badass too. It had taken over 40 attacks from British forces. In the end, when all else failed to sink her, the British had to get inventive:

Only the massive 20ft tall, 12,000lb “Tallboy” bombs, which traveled faster than the speed of sound, capsized Tirpitz. Those babies left craters 100ft wide and 35ft deep!

• :-o

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m