• Just wondering why this is setup from Eastern Canada rather than Eastern US?

Thanks.

• Because you can load and unload troops from ECan to Alg every turn with only a transport (only 1 sea zone away), compared to EUS where it is 2 sea zones away, needing 2 transports to unload troops every turn. For example, a transport already at SZ12 (next to Algeria) can go to Eastern Canada SZ (dont remember the number), load troops from Canada, and go back to SZ12 to unload them to Algeria. From US, you can’t, its farther.

• @Ashkayel:

Because you can load and unload troops from ECan to Alg every turn with only a transport (only 1 sea zone away), compared to EUS where it is 2 sea zones away, needing 2 transports to unload troops every turn. For example, a transport already at SZ12 (next to Algeria) can go to Eastern Canada SZ (dont remember the number), load troops from Canada, and go back to SZ12 to unload them to Algeria. From US, you can’t, its farther.

This is a very interesting idea, I’ve honestly never thought of it.

I’m very curious to learn about how other experienced players use as their primary method of getting US troops to Europe. Up to this point I’ve had my transports go from Eastern Canada to Europe.

Edit: hehe

• '10

Threatening Europe is part of it too, football. By having that be your staging area you can hit both Africa and Europe in one turn.

Give some flexibility to where you want to go.

• @football2006:

I’m very curious to learn about how other experienced players use as their primary method of getting US troops to America. Up to this point I’ve had my transports go from Eastern Canada to Europe.

I usually build troops in E. US. But that’s just me…

• @coorran:

@football2006:

I’m very curious to learn about how other experienced players use as their primary method of getting US troops to America. Up to this point I’ve had my transports go from Eastern Canada to Europe.

I usually build troops in E. US. But that’s just me…

Haha  :lol:

• So not only do you need less transports you only have to protect the one seazone from long range air then?

• @Graunie:

So not only do you need less transports you only have to protect the one seazone from long range air then?

Indeed, you only need to protect SZ12, but no need for long range aircrafts, normal fighters in Weu can reach it, if it was what you were referring to (Long Range Aircrafts Tech)

• But does not the debate evade an essential question: why would someone send troops to africa, when you need them in Europe?

• @Granada:

But does not the debate evade an essential question: why would someone send troops to africa, when you need them in Europe?

Gez Gran, you know why!

First, let’s say Allies went Kill Germany First.

Germany-controlled Africa means UK has lousy production - it may not be able to produce 8 units a turn, and what it does produce will mostly be infantry that are lousy on attack.  Added to that is Germany producing 3-4 units extra a turn.  End result is UK attack down, Germany defense up, and Allies have a pain in the ass breaking Europe.

Besides that, US can’t just insta-build transports, it needs a defensive fleet first, or its transports get wasted by German air.  So US does NOT have a fat transport fleet to begin with, so it doesn’t have enough to maintain a East Canada-London/London-Europe chain, nor is Germany probably weak enough for US to start a 1-transport chain between East Canada and Western Europe.  So US drops to Algeria while it builds up extra transports.

So much for the basics.  You drop to Africa because you don’t really have any place else to go with US at first, and you need to stop Germany from overrunning it anyways.

“Advanced” stuff - there are things Germany can do to extend its control over the Atlantic and Africa, which I won’t get into at this time, but maintaining drops to Africa can be the right thing to do in SOME games, at least.  Basically, in KGF, you don’t want Germany controlling Africa, period.

• 100% agree with Bunnies.

• @Bunnies:

@Granada:

But does not the debate evade an essential question: why would someone send troops to africa, when you need them in Europe?

Gez Gran, you know why!

First, let’s say Allies went Kill Germany First.

Germany-controlled Africa means UK has lousy production - it may not be able to produce 8 units a turn, and what it does produce will mostly be infantry that are lousy on attack.  Added to that is Germany producing 3-4 units extra a turn.  End result is UK attack down, Germany defense up, and Allies have a pain in the a** breaking Europe.

Besides that, US can’t just insta-build transports, it needs a defensive fleet first, or its transports get wasted by German air.  So US does NOT have a fat transport fleet to begin with, so it doesn’t have enough to maintain a East Canada-London/London-Europe chain, nor is Germany probably weak enough for US to start a 1-transport chain between East Canada and Western Europe.  So US drops to Algeria while it builds up extra transports.

So much for the basics.  You drop to Africa because you don’t really have any place else to go with US at first, and you need to stop Germany from overrunning it anyways.

“Advanced” stuff - there are things Germany can do to extend its control over the Atlantic and Africa, which I won’t get into at this time, but maintaining drops to Africa can be the right thing to do in SOME games, at least.  Basically, in KGF, you don’t want Germany controlling Africa, period.

Fair enough. As long as it is meant as a provisonal measure to stop any german influence on africa, it is ok. As long as it should be the major strategy to bring the US troops to the war, it is doomed to fail, i think.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m