• Sheesh… No one remembers Daedalus, Icarus’s father, who conceptualized the idea of human flight and designed the first set of wings.  Remember, Icarus wasn’t the only one who flew off of the island of Crete that day.  And Daedalus had the more interesting life of the two.

Oh well, since you guys at least answered Icarus, you all get Karma.

Question #4 - Bartletts

This quote is widely attributed to which person?

“First I begin by taking.  Then I shall find the scholars to demonstrate my perfect right.”

• 2007 AAR League

i googled it….  :-D

i wont post the answer though, or will i…

• 2007 AAR League

I was going to go with Julius Caesar but something didn’t sound right about it and since you probably wouldn’t follow up a question about ancient Greece with one from ancient Rome I’m going to go with Napoleon.

• I Googled it becuase I honestly whould not have known that.

• As many of you have already googled, the correct answer is King Frederick the Great.

When I first read the quote, I was stricken by how true it was, not just in his era but in ours.  The victors shape the world as they see fit.  If the Axis powers had won WWII or the Soviets the Cold War, believe me, our textbooks would be written very differently today.

Let’s see if you guys can do better this time:

Question #5 - Geography

What are the Eastern, Western, Southern, and Northernmost States in the United States of America?

• Eastern:    Alaska
    Western:    Alaska
    Northern:    Alaska
    Southern:  Hawaii

<pencil down=“”>:-D </pencil>

• E: Maine
    W: Hawaii
    S: Hawaii again?
    N: Alaska

• LT04, you are correct!

I think all the answers are self explanatory except for Alaska being our easternmost state.  The reason is Alaska’s chain of islands – the Aleutian Islands – actually stretches across the international date line zone, making Alaska the western and easternmost state simultaneously.

Well done!  :-D

I’m impressed.  Now for something a bit harder…

Question #6 - Zoology

What is the only mammal that cannot jump?

• 2007 AAR League

The elephant

• Yep, the elephant.

• Mr Toad,

I liked your geography question and had I logged in earlier I would have had it right.

A return question

Which state has the lowest highest point?

• @Audacity:

Mr Toad,

I liked your geography question and had I logged in earlier I would have had it right.

A return question

You mean the lowest elevation?  That would be Death Valley in California.

LT

• No, I mean the lowest high point of all the states.

• @Audacity:

No, I mean the lowest high point of all the states.

Even if I wanted to cheat with google I don’t know what I would need to type to get an answer like that.

Normally you could ask the highest or the lowest but this is like asking it “whats the extra medium?”  :lol:

LT

• It’s not that hard to understand.  Each state has a ‘highest point’.  Which state has the lowest of those 50?

Seems to me I’ve heard this before, but can’t remember the answer, so I’ll guess:  Florida?

• @Uberlager:

It’s not that hard to understand.  Each state has a ‘highest point’.  Which state has the lowest of those 50?

Seems to me I’ve heard this before, but can’t remember the answer, so I’ll guess:  Florida?

Thanks for the clearification.  For what ever reason I couldn’t wrap my head around that.

Hmmm…  I’m going to guess the state of Louisiana.

• U-505 and LT04, good job.  :mrgreen:

The answer would be Death Valley, California.  It is the “lowest point” by elevation in the United States, while also having the “highest” water boiling point, due to it’s low elevation.

Now for some math…

Question #7 - Thermodynamics

It is often suggested (by me) that chewing ice cubes is an effective weight loss tool.  Is this actually true?  Provide a quantitative answer of Calorie ‘loss’ per ice cube.

Some useful information:

Temperature of Ice Cube: 0 C or 32 F
    Weight of Ice Cube: 21 grams
    Volume of Ice Cube: 3/4 fluid ounces
    Body Temperature: 37 C or 98.6 F

• 2007 AAR League

Louisiana is a good answer. I’m going to go with my state of Mississippi.

@TG:

Now for some math…

Question #7 - Thermodynamics

It is often suggested (by me) that chewing ice cubes is an effective weight loss tool.  Is this actually true?  Provide a quantitative answer of Calorie ‘loss’ per ice cube.

Some useful information:

Temperature of Ice Cube: 0 C or 32 F
    Weight of Ice Cube: 21 grams
    Volume of Ice Cube: 3/4 fluid ounces
    Body Temperature: 37 C or 98.6 F

Why are you mixing metric weight with imperial volume? And does the answer have to include the calories lost from chewing and/or processing the water or just from the heat required to melt the ice?

• Why are you mixing metric weight with imperial volume? And does the answer have to include the calories lost from chewing and/or processing the water or just from the heat required to melt the ice?

:? … Uh yeah what he said.  :?

• Why are you mixing metric weight with imperial volume? And does the answer have to include the calories lost from chewing and/or processing the water or just from the heat required to melt the ice?

About the conversions: Deal with it.  :-P

As far as calories goes, you may make any assumptions you like, as long you state them in advance.  In this case, the calories lost from chewing is minuscule compared to maintaining your body temperature.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m