• Or how about old school:

Fiat CR.42 Falco (“Falcon”)
    Gloster Gladiator
    Polikarpov I-153

No love for two wings  :wink:

• The Gloster Gladiator nearly made the list. The few Gladiators at Malta that flew againist the Regia Aeronautica have always made an impression in my readings.

• @ABWorsham:

The Gloster Gladiator nearly made the list. The few Gladiators at Malta that flew againist the Regia Aeronautica have always made an impression in my readings.

The planes or the pilots? The smaller the number of aircraft the less their performance/capabilities can be seperated from the pilots it would seem.  :|

• I like the way the P-38 looks. But I think that the mustang would have to be my fav.

LT

• Just thought I’d mention that a lot of these planes are flyable (including some bombers) in the game Secret Weapons Over Normandy by LucasArts.  A pretty entertaining game overall, and you can feel the difference between the planes.

• @frimmel:

@ABWorsham:

The Gloster Gladiator nearly made the list. The few Gladiators at Malta that flew againist the Regia Aeronautica have always made an impression in my readings.

The planes or the pilots? The smaller the number of aircraft the less their performance/capabilities can be seperated from the pilots it would seem.  :|

I agree

• i chose the yak and the spitfire because the yak made a difference and history in russia until the yak russian airforce was crap the yaks at least were the spitfires in the eastern front!

• @italiansarecoming:

i chose the yak and the spitfire because the yak made a difference and history in russia until the yak russian airforce was crap the yaks at least were the spitfires in the eastern front!

It’s good to see some Soviet support. The Yak often gets over looked in World War Two discussion along with the Red Air force.

Ivan N. Kozhedub was the highest credited allied ace with 62 victories. Following is Pokryshkin, Alexander Ivanovich, the Soviet’s most famous ace with 59 kills.

Erich Hartmann, in his book The Blond Knight of Germany praises the skills of the Red Air Forces’ Guard Regiments. He refers to these skilled pilots as Stalin’s Hawks.

• Thankyou i just chose the yak because it was a good plane and so was the spit don’t kid me wrong germany had pro fighters and peeps in them but well (they had no plane strategy)

• No love for the Italians?

Here is some

• But love for the YAK?

And so little love for the ZERO, HELLCAT and Thunderbolt???

And no P 39 love  :-o

• p:

• Wow cool pics.  :-)

LT

• Pro picks man and i agree italian fighters!@!

• P 38 for his look and for his great purpose.

But i have to admit. The choice is realy hard.
    My choice on the pacific front: Vought F4U Corsair and The zero.
    Western front: Hawker Typhoon and FW 190.
    Eastern Front: Yak 1

Alan.

• long live the glorious yak YAK YAK ________________________________________________________________________________________________YAk

Moo hahaha!

• I’m surprised the Me-109 has not found any love in the survey.

• I thought of a few more special planes!!!1

No love for the japanese no Zero or Betty  …… they were the best plane in the pacific until 1943 ahmmmmmmmmm

• I’m surprised the Me-109 has not found any love in the survey.

At 57% of all German fighter production and according to some sorces, the most produced fighter aircraft in history at 33,984 units and in service with the Fins, the Swiss, as well as others and used even after the war by Romainia well into the 1950’s. The Czech copy the  S-199 even saw service with the Israeli AF. A generally good all around, well designed, fighter.

But yes no love in the poll, perhaps its such a common WW2 Workhorse that it has no sex appeal, simple with no spice. Kind of like the Sherman Tank or the Liberty Ship…just a solid hardworking weapon.

• lol i was playing a game i was canada had a max of food and bam…. i had 40 churchills and creamed everyone the shermans wer fast but nto as good as the smoking hot shermans

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m