What's your favorite tank or vehicle?

• Tanks really have 3 puposes in my limited experience with this game.

1. Bombardment of infantry.
    2. To battle other tanks.
    3. To ascertain key firing positions with speed.

You can name a few of your favorites if you like. Perhaps one for each catagory but feel free to go nuts. I’d love to hear all the input from you veterans out there.

Being a German Commander, my favorites that I have currently and use the most frequently are:
    1. The Sturmpanzer IV "Brummbär.
    (Perfect for bombarding multiple infantry targets especially hiding in cover and tough as nails.)
    2. The Nashorn.
    (The most effective tank killer I own. Incrediblely range effective. Since it can ignore one hex of cover, I usually use it to hide in a crucial firing position.)
    3. The Panzer IV Ausf. G
    (Cheap in points for a German tank that’s effective against armor and it isn’t limited by a fixed howitzer like my prior choices. A great way to get some serious armor out on the field in multiples. I hate how cheap in points the basic Sherman is! That tank is devistating. Yet it’s value does coincide with the mass production of it.)

• I like the M3 Honey Stuart with its “All Guns Blazing” SA. It’s low cost, fast and I like to use it as support in an infantry heavy build.

I’m not a big fan of the uber tank battles with “Superior Armor” and “Hulking Mass” SAs.

• @Cobalt:

I like the M3 Honey Stuart with its “All Guns Blazing” SA. It’s low cost, fast and I like to use it as support in an infantry heavy build.

I’m not a big fan of the uber tank battles with “Superior Armor” and “Hulking Mass” SAs.

Cool! I’ve never seen that tank before. What country is it from? Would you mind giving me a brief rundown on it’s stats so I can understand why you like it so much?

• Veteran Tiger

• @Ducky:

Veteran Tiger

hell yeah Ducky. I WISH I had that tank. Pu-lease give me the run down on the card!!

• I try and field 2 at a time when I can. Pretty bad-ass tank huh?!

• @Ducky:

I try and field 2 at a time when I can. Pretty bad-a** tank huh?!

OMG yeah. I MUST get this tank. So can you explain the whole superior armor rule to me please. I don’t qute understand it. If your attack dice beat the defense dice by 2 or more, than wouldn’t you have 2 hits anyways? I don’t get it.

• If one tank shoots at another, normally you match the defense to disrupt it, and if you pass the defense number it damages it too. If it didn’t have Superior Armor 2, 8 success on the dice would disrupt and damage the Veteran Tiger, but because it does, you need to roll 9 successes. If 3 different units shoot at it, it nullifies the Superior Armor 2 though. As each of those 3 only needs to score 7 successes and they all stack to become 3 hits. It’s a good edge to have. The thing that makes it devestating though is the fact it has +1 to each dice. So anything from 3-6 that comes up on the dice counts as a success. If you use an Ammo Dump with it (which allows you to reroll 1s) you can kill an enemy tank in a single short or medium range attack.

• Thanks so much for being so kind as to putting the card up and thanks for the rule clarification! Now if only someone would be as kind as you and post the cards of the German aircraft! I’m so curious, it’s making me crazy. Next paycheck, I’m getting a ton of “D-day” packs.

• http://www.vesivus.com/aaminis/AM_Nationality_German.htm

there you go!! almost all the stat cards for everything!!

• @Ducky:

http://www.vesivus.com/aaminis/AM_Nationality_German.htm

DUDE!!! YOU are the man. Where in blazes did you find that link? I searched the damn internet forever yesterday looking for this exact thing. Man if I could hook you up with Karma, you’d be at positive 300 by now. Thanks brotha!!

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

@Ducky:

http://www.vesivus.com/aaminis/AM_Nationality_German.htm

DUDE!!! YOU are the man. Where in blazes did you find that link? I searched the damn internet forever yesterday looking for this exact thing. Man if I could hook you up with Karma, you’d be at positive 300 by now. Thanks brotha!!

No problem, just trying to keep myself useful! :lol: I found the link a while ago just by trying to find a specific card’s values.

If you’re trying to build a specialized army you may as well buy individual units. If you have 100s of pieces already, boosters are waste of money. If you don’t have many pieces yet, I HIGHLY recommend getting a case of 1939-1945. It’s a “greatest hits” booster. The most popular pieces are in it, repainted, and some recosted. You’ll definitely find almost all the armor you’ll need there, and some decent infantry and aircraft, though those areas weren’t as well rounded as the tanks. There’s a lot of heavy hitters though. A Tiger I, King Tiger (more durable and cheaper than the Veteran Tiger, but lacks the +1 to dice rolls), a Stuka, SS-Hauptsturmführer, StuG III Ausf. D (for 15 points, this unit is great. I found it useful every time I fielded it). There’s also lots of good Russian stuff, so you could do a pretty awesome Eastern Front battle.

http://miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/129768 - a safe online store, everyone I’ve talked to loves these guys (I’m ordering a couple cases of the next expansion from them myself)!! here’s the 1939-1945 booster case.

If you’re really into building up a powerful Wehrmacht like I was, you have to go with North Africa too. It’s got the Veteran Tiger in the new, large scale, it’s got a new 88mm flak (same stats, better appearance), and the best axis fighter-plane in the game, the Messerschmitt Ace (it can make defensive fire attacks on aircraft 4 hexes away!!!). I have a couple of them and it pisses one of my friends off to no end when I field them. Plus, North Africa has the Veteran Fallschirmjager. It’s pricy at 10 points for a soldier, but a couple of those guys in a battle can tip the tide (it’s really the only axis paratrooper capable of competing with the screaming eagles). It has 5/5 defense, can be placed anywhere on the map as long as it’s not next to an enemy, has 8 dice against anything in the same hex (medium tank killer), and it can move while disrupted and gets to reroll 1 attack dice each turn. The last one I’ll advertise is the Panzer IV Commander. It has the overrun ability that the Tiger I from the other set does, which is great (drive it into an enemy hex and immediately disrupt the soldier in it), but unlike the Tiger I it has “Command Ruthless” which gives any nearby units a +1 to each attack die against damaged or disrupted units. Put 2 Veteran Tigers with it, and you would get +1 from crack shot, and +1 from ruthless… thus +2 to the Veteran Tiger dice if shooting at anything damaged or disrupted (if I am wrong about this, someone please correct me). That would mean if you had an ammo dump, you could get a success on each die without that much trouble. 2-6 on the dice would automatically count as a success. It’d be deadly and cheap  :evil:

http://miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/198916 - there’s the best deal you’ll probably find, from a reliable store for a North Africa case

I’d also see if anyone has an ammo dump they are will to part with (unfortunately I have no extras). It lets you reroll any 1’s the first time they come up (IE: if you reroll a 1, and it lands as a 1 again, you can’t reroll the second 1). here’s an auction that seems like a sweet deal!! (I’ve used ebay a lot recently to get the half a dozen pieces I was missing)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Axis-Allies-miniatures-Reserves-Ammo-Dump_W0QQitemZ360079065900QQihZ023QQcategoryZ2635QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

check out the galleries on the official site on the link below, if you have any questions I have the cards for all of them (except war at sea, I never got into naval stuff)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/gallery

Lastly, here’s a few pieces I recommend that aren’t in the 2 sets I mentioned, but worth trading for or buying, or whatever:

Elite Panzer IV Ausf D (Germany) - Contested Skies (it gets +1 to each attack die)
    Churchill Crocodile (UK) - Base Set (if it rolls three 6s during an attack, it kills the target instantly)
    Veteran M4 Sherman “Rhino” (USA) - Set II (travels through the forest without making a movement roll, moves while disrupted, and doesn’t get a -1 to dice while disrupted)
    M1 81mm Mortar (USA) - D-Day (it can shoot at anything within 16 hexes as long as anyone else in your army has a line of sight)
    Grizzled Veteran (Germany) - D-Day (5/5 defense, and every 6 he rolls counts as 2 successes)
    Resourceful Hero (USA) - D-Day (anything that is destroyed in his hex, he can use the attack values of… even a Veteran Tiger)
    40mm Bofors L60 (UK) - Contested Skies (good, cheap AA and AI gun)
    “Screaming Eagle” Paratroopers (USA) - Set II (tough-as-nails paratroopers very handy at flanking)
    Elefant (Germany) - Reserves (it’s the hardest hitting unit in the whole game, and has a high intimidation factor, 20 dice at short range, but it’s only useful in larger point games usually)
    Ammo Dump - Reserves (rerolling 1s during your attack can mean the difference between a kill and nothing sometimes)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m