• I’ve been pondering the US Jeep’s lack of combat ability in A&AM and wanted to houserule the thing, but I also didn’t want to upset the balance of the unit or make it too much more expensive so this is what I came up with:

A jeep may be outfitted for combat support or transport. Moving that one figure represents moving a whole squad, so I figure that if it’s doing one thing it won’t have room to do the other. With a .50 cal mounted up on top, I gave it a 10/7/4 versus infantry and 4/-/-  versus vehicles (it’s hurt a 222 but not a panzer). In it’s combat mode it has the Fire and Fade (2) ability since it was often a recon unit. When this game finally had artillery pieces besides a few tanks I’d give it the “forward observer” ability too.

I’m unsure of to charge for it in it’s combat mode though. Do I make it cost about the same as a Sd Kfz 222? Hrmmm. I dunno.

Of course, the .50 cal on a jeep was used as AA fire too, so once planes come out this bad boy might be a good unit to have on the field…

Opinions?

-=Grim=-

• Founder TripleA Admin

Interesting rule but I think it’s too cheap at 4 points.

• @djensen:

Interesting rule but I think it’s too cheap at 4 points.

Well, yea. That’s why I said:

@GrimJesta:

…but I also didn’t want to upset the balance of the unit or make it too much more expensive so this is what I came up with…

…I’m unsure of (what) to charge for it in it’s combat mode though. Do I make it cost about the same as a Sd Kfz 222? Hrmmm. I dunno.

-=Grim=-

:mrgreen:

I’m thinking of making it be +8 points in this mode. I probably should clarify that you would have to choose how the Jeep will be before play begins: once you choose it to be a combat vehicle it can’t suddenly become a transport and vice-versa.

-=Grim=-

• Why would you need to do this when you have the half track?  I don’t believe Jeeps could be effective combat vehicles.  Dumb rule.

• @General:

I don’t believe Jeeps could be effective combat vehicles.

Except that they were in WWII. Which is what I’m basing this on. A .50 cal mg that’s mobile is better than a .50 cal foot-slogger. Or how about when the jeeps were outfitted with mortars? Are they somehow less-effective than the same mortars carried by mortar teams? If jeeps aren’t effective combat vehicles, then the infantry carrying .50 cals or mortars must not be effective either?  Or is this just presupposition that they weren’t effective combat vehicles?

:roll:

-=Grim=-

• The Jeep miniature has a machine gun on it.  There you go.

• It would appear the Jeep unit is a “squadron” of 2 or 3 vehicles, if it has the capacity to transport a rifle squad. The presence of a .50 caliber MG, would give it some offensive combat value.

True, it would be a “soft-skinned” vehicle, but its real value was demonstrated by the Long Range Desert Group, in North Africa. It was a cheap and surprisingly effective weapon.

In my opinion, there is nothing to change.  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m