Which new minor nation do you want most?

• Norway had one of the 3 most highly decorated SS units “Der Viking.” All Norwiegan volunteers. I would love to see the german army go much further with the bravery most of the the SS fought with. I’ll give an example in my next post.

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

Norway had one of the 3 most highly decorated SS units “Der Viking.” All Norwiegan volunteers. I would love to see the german army go much further with the bravery most of the the SS fought with. I’ll give an example in my next post.

They were one of the best fighting forces in WWII, without question. Their morality (or lack thereof) made them pretty scary. I’m half British, half German, so I try not to take sides though (except when I want to piss my mother off  :evil:) My friend’s grandfather was in a U-boat that was hit with depth charges in the English channel and got fired out a torpedo tube and swam to the coast of occupied France to rejoin the fight.

• Wow Ducky! I would love to hear his story!! They had courage. They were trained that they were superior and could not be defeated. Their belief was so strong that they held lines when outnumbered hundreds to one. Their mental indoctrination as members of the Elite SS, was so strong and so was their loyalty and bravery. The US Marines use many of the same methods today because after WW II, they couldn’t believe how long the SS had held out under overwhelmingly unfair odds.

• A lot of the gestapo were a-holes. My dad’s friend’s dad (if you follow that lol) served when he was a teenager and they got lost and accidentally wandered back to camp… The gestapo guy was going to shoot them, but a high-ranking army officer was present and basically told the gestapo guy what to get and where to put it… Then you get guys like Rommel, or that army officer, that were generally interested in the wellbeing of their countrymen.

• Those fucking Gestapo were on the biggest power trip. There’s ony one other type of Nazi I hate more: The einzatgruppen. Those pussies didn’t even fight. They just followed in close proximity in the fighting and then rounded random people up to be killed. They completely ruined our relations with Russia by treating the civians who helped Germany like shit and shooting them with little to no cause. Even the SS hated their sorry asses.

• A lot of my family in the UK thought they should’ve been fighting the communists and the French, not the Germans, in WWII. The real irony as well is that I had German family in Canada fighting against the Germans as well… then there’s the infamous “Paraguay contingent” of them too…  :oops:

• @Ducky:

A lot of my family in the UK thought they should’ve been fighting the communists and the French, not the Germans, in WWII. The real irony as well is that I had German family in Canada fighting against the Germans as well… then there’s the infamous “Paraguay contingent” of them too…  :oops:

I could symathise. I hate communism. You could even go so far as to say I’m a Nazi sympathiszer in the sense that I wanted them to win on the Eastern front. Stalins war crimes outnumber Hitlers by the millions. Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t condone racism or the holocaust or any other violations of the Geneva Convention. That’s why I dislike the Japanese Empire of that era with a passion as well. They were atrocious murderers; hence “The Bataan Death March” Our troops were promised that if they surrendered, they would be treated as “Guests of the Emperor.” That alone was a great tragedy. I loath commanding officers who don’t honor their word.

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

@Ducky:

A lot of my family in the UK thought they should’ve been fighting the communists and the French, not the Germans, in WWII. The real irony as well is that I had German family in Canada fighting against the Germans as well… then there’s the infamous “Paraguay contingent” of them too…  :oops:

I could symathise. I hate communism. You could even go so far as to say I’m a Nazi sympathiszer in the sense that I wanted them to win on the Eastern front. Stalins war crimes outnumber Hitlers by the millions. Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t condone racism or the holocaust or any other violations of the Geneva Convention. That’s why I dislike the Japanese Empire of that era with a passion as well. They were atrocious murderers; hence “The Bataan Death March” Our troops were promised that if they surrendered, they would be treated as “Guests of the Emperor.” That alone was a great tragedy. I loath commanding officers who don’t honor their word.

I had a great uncle that was captured in Burma and came home covered in scars from the Japanese. My UK family are generally pretty tolerant, but my mother’s generation and back all hated Japan and wanted it sunk into the ocean. I agree fully, Stalin’s hate was arbitrary, and he didn’t care who lived or died. At least Hitler had a method to his madness so you could gauge whether or not you were at risk of getting offed lol

• @Ducky:

@Obergruppenfuhrer:

@Ducky:

I could symathise. I hate communism. You could even go so far as to say I’m a Nazi sympathiszer in the sense that I wanted them to win on the Eastern front. Stalins war crimes outnumber Hitlers by the millions. Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t condone racism or the holocaust or any other violations of the Geneva Convention. That’s why I dislike the Japanese Empire of that era with a passion as well. They were atrocious murderers; hence “The Bataan Death March” Our troops were promised that if they
    surrendered, they would be treated as “Guests of the Emperor.” That alone was a great tragedy. I loath commanding officers who don’t honor their word.

I had a great uncle that was captured in Burma and came home covered in scars from the Japanese. My UK family are generally pretty tolerant, but my mother’s generation and back all hated Japan and wanted it sunk into the ocean. I agree fully, Stalin’s hate was arbitrary, and he didn’t care who lived or died. At least Hitler had a method to his madness so you could gauge whether or not you were at risk of getting offed lol

I know! At least Hitler had a plan. Him and Himmler wanted a resurection of medieval Germany throughout Europe and beyond. Himmler dreamed of restoring “The Order of the Tuetonic Knights.” Hence The Elite SS, Ace Pilots, and Officers were treated and decorated much like knights. Even their storm troopers were beautiful in a gothic sense. They were building everything with plans on it being there for the next thousand years. An architectual method, style and beauty that our society has destroyed. At least Hitler was methodical and his subordinates were often brilliant men with very organized agendas. Stalin was just straight up crazy and excecuted entire towns, entire brigades, anyone really for no real reason. Your right.

At least with Hitler you knew if well in advance if you were in good standing. Too bad he did everything he could to destroy Europe in his final days. The head Nazi officer in Paris purposly delayed and falsified reports as to not follow through with “the complete demolition of Paris.” His betrayal of Hitlers fanatical demmands to destroy beauty just our of smite saved the Paris we see today. It’s unfortunate that man was hanged for war crimes with many other head Nazi officials….or maybe he got what he deserved. We’ll never know all the “other” things he may have participated in regarding antipartisan activity and racial purity in Paris.

• To get into a lot of the decent non-standard military positions you had to do some pretty unsavory things… I think if they’d laid off the mass-murder when they got into power, and just gone with the Madagascar plan, public opinion wouldn’t have been so bad. That plan is not as awful as what North America did to the natives, so they couldn’t have said anything that wouldn’t be hypocritical. It’s not ethical, but I’d rather get moved than killed if it were up to me. I think their main problem was trying to do too much too quickly.

It’s always easy in hindsight to judge things, but I think these cost Germany the war:
    -Siding with Japan over China: They did it for anti-communist reasons, but they chose an ally with no natural resources who was fighting someone they’d rather be allied with in the first place (Britain). If Germany had pledged prior the outbreak of WWII to defend British colonies overseas against possible Japanese aggression, they wouldn’t have said no.
    -Letting the troops at Dunkirk escape: Hitler was hoping to make an ally out of the UK still and didn’t want to piss them off, but I think the time had passed for that. The escape just strengthened their resolve more than broke it.
    -The Russian Winter: It’s like playing Russian roullette with a semi-auto 9mm… everyone loses, every time! Hitler needed to finish off the UK before opening a second front. Nothing about a 2-front war seems good.

• @Ducky:

To get into a lot of the decent non-standard military positions you had to do some pretty unsavory things… I think if they’d laid off the mass-murder when they got into power, and just gone with the Madagascar plan, public opinion wouldn’t have been so bad. That plan is not as awful as what North America did to the natives, so they couldn’t have said anything that wouldn’t be hypocritical. It’s not ethical, but I’d rather get moved than killed if it were up to me. I think their main problem was trying to do too much too quickly.

It’s always easy in hindsight to judge things, but I think these cost Germany the war:
    -Siding with Japan over China: They did it for anti-communist reasons, but they chose an ally with no natural resources who was fighting someone they’d rather be allied with in the first place (Britain). If Germany had pledged prior the outbreak of WWII to defend British colonies overseas against possible Japanese aggression, they wouldn’t have said no.
    -Letting the troops at Dunkirk escape: Hitler was hoping to make an ally out of the UK still and didn’t want to piss them off, but I think the time had passed for that. The escape just strengthened their resolve more than broke it.
    -The Russian Winter: It’s like playing Russian roullette with a semi-auto 9mm… everyone loses, every time! Hitler needed to finish off the UK before opening a second front. Nothing about a 2-front war seems good.

Nice Ducky. I’m impressed with your evaluation and knowledge! You are absolutely right about Britain! I never even thought of that! Hitler didn’t want a war with England in the first place. I remember him saying something along the lines of “I don’t want to do battle with people that are so much like us.” Hitler tried to persuade England but he should have known their was no way they would support Nazi occupation. He underestimated British resolve.

The evacuation of Dunkirk was the Luftwaffes’ first defeat. It was Goerings fault completely. He promised Hitler that his air force alone could take Dunkirk with little to no ground support. He was on an ego high from prior victories and for the first time, the Luftwaffe faced equal air oppostion with pilots and aircraft that were equal to theirs. They weren’t prepared for that. They needed the ground support and could have had it in a heartbeat if Goering had only asked instead of trying to prove some sort of point about how good his air force was.

…and you nailed it completely. One of the main reasons Germany lost WWII was preparing for a short war that ended up being a long one. Pride was their downfall.

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

…and you nailed it completely. One of the main reasons Germany lost WWII was preparing for a short war that ended up being a long one. Pride was their downfall.

It’s a character flaw a lot of Germans seem to possess. My German family generally all have the stubborn “my way, or the highway” philosophy….

• @Ducky:

@Obergruppenfuhrer:

It’s a character flaw a lot of Germans seem to possess. My German family generally all have the stubborn “my way, or the highway” philosophy….

Yeah. It’s funny how each culture, race or nationality (whatever you want to call it)  has it’s own special gifts in certain areas a a collective whole. Of cousrse there are individual exceptions by the thousands but as a whole, Germans have been know for their dominant, regimented and calculated behavior. They are also a very industrious people with a history of producing the finest iron and steel the world has ever seen.

Himmler was adamant about restoring the practice of making damascus blades which took could take at least 10 years to master making. They produced those as swords and especially daggers for rewards to the SS. These blades were renouned as the finest in the world. Much like the Katana. The difference being, these blades had an amazing spectrum of colors that refracted off them becuase of the long, EXTREMELY difficult process it took to make one. Only a hand full of people in the entire world knew how to make them so Himmler set up shops and apprentice programs to keep this medieval practice alive. Today, I’m sure a genuine dagger could go for 10’s of thousands of dollars on e-bay but they dont even have genuine ones listed. The originals are about as rare as it gets. There’s lots of blades that carry tha label but none that I’ve seen are the genuine ones made by the Germans.

The Italians, as mentioned in a another thread, are not naturally gifted warriors. They are a people of the renaissance, connoisseurs and lovers. They fought like cowards on the eastern fron especially.

They deserted their SS comrades many times as soon as they came under heavy fire. As I’v noted before. The Luftwaffe, stuka pilots in particular returning from sorties, would strafe partisans and Italians running at full speed away from the front line out of pure digust for their cowardice.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m