• '19 Moderator

LMAO, in attempting to stifle my lols just now I shot a booger onto my keyboard, Thanks CC…

• @cystic:

@Jermofoot:

@Imperious:

Thats freeking unbelievable… its been sitting in mud for 70 years and they just dig it up and drive it away???

I think that must be a hoax. The water would have rusted everything and the electrical would have required a new battery.

i declare shenanigans on this.

Actually, it was 56 years from the article.  And peatbogs are actually great preservers…many mummies have been excavated from them, revealing information about history.

Once after a lot of drinking, i fell into a peatbog.  I woke up 3 months later, hadn’t aged a day!!  Not even a single whisker.  Mind you, my pants were pretty stink-y . . . .

Are you sure you weren’t just drinking scotch?  :lol:

• Fresh water does not destroy metal in the same manner as does salt water.

http://www.pastfoundation.org/Arizona/Rationale_3.htm

Salinity is closely related to the corrosion rate of steel in water, so increased salinity usually results in higher corrosion rates. This is evident when comparing metal preservation in freshwater compared to seawater environments—freshwater lakes invariably lead to better preservation of iron and steel.

• :-o
    Estonnians never lie!
    Pictures are pretty cool though.  :-D

• If they were going to find a T-34 used in a battle in '44 I think it’s interesting they found a T-34/76A. It was most likely made prior to Operation Barbarossa. The Germans had blown up a lot of Russian armor by the time this thing was sunk. I think the A also known as the 1940 model was produced in fewer numbers than most T-34 models. I’m not basing that on certain knowledge but I do know the A carried an “interim” L-11 gun. Usually “interim” designs are not produced in as large of numbers as vehicles that are not interim. Also the Soviets along with everyone else built tanks in larger numbers as the war drug on. This being an early model points to lower production numbers. That said the Soviets did build around 35,000 T34/76’s of all models so I’m sure a lot of A’s were built.

How about those silly Estonians. They were laying the main gun rounds ON THE GROUND! I would have said “Firewood anyone.” and started knocking some trees down. I’ve cut a tree down with LAW rockets in the past. It was fun. I bet a 76mm cannon would be even more fun. Silly Estonians.

• @11HP20:

How about those silly Estonians. They were laying the main gun rounds ON THE GROUND! I would have said “Firewood anyone.” and started knocking some trees down. I’ve cut a tree down with LAW rockets in the past. It was fun. I bet a 76mm cannon would be even more fun. Silly Estonians.

I like your style!!!  Let’s go fishing with dynamite sometime.  8-)

• You’re on bro. I make something for the Forth every year we could use.

• why the iron cross on the t-34?

• '19 Moderator

Because it was captured and used by the Germans.

• I guess it’d be possible as long as the gears and whatnot were still in place…

Whatever had been damaged due to environmental conditions (flooding, cold, etc.) might have been replaced, but it seems plausible to me…

• @Antholin:

This just makes me want my own tank all the more. I know it’s not fuel efficient, but what a sweet ride it would be. Plus, there’s parking everywhere, you just have to roll over a few mini vans.

This is one of the military equipment brokers that I am aware of.

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/

You might also wish to contact either the Polish or the Czech government regarding disposal of surplus vehicles.  At the time of the breakup of the USSR, a T-55 could be purchased for about $5,000 plus shipping to the US.  APCs were slightly more expensive if amphibious.

• I wonder how many other tanks are still out there…well, under there in Europe and Russia. There were many tank battles and with the marshes in Russia, if a tank got in, it was definitely hard to get out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m