• Hello,

yesterday i had an idea about how to counter a german strategy for sea lion on G3.
    why not buy as UK player more fleet instead of nine infantry?

what about a battleship and a destroyer (or submarine)? or a second carrier and a cruiser?

this means, of course, that the british fleet in the mediterranian would not attack the italian one. the british would gather in sea zone 109 getting together (without buys) one fully loaded carrier, two destroyers and one transport.

i believe, accompanied by the buys, with this fleet the british can threaten the german navy, to provoke a german preemptive strike or to build up more defensively for transport protection.

i know this is not a sound strategy, yet, but i would like to discuss it here on the board if it is viable or not. thanx.

rock`n roll
    p.s. i did some pics showing one possible scenario after round one.

• pic one

001 totale copy.jpg

• pic two

002 germany copy.jpg

• pic three

003 yugoslavia copy.jpg

• four

004 mediterranian sea copy.jpg

• five

005 egypt copy.jpg

• six

006 tunesia copy.jpg

• seven (of twelve)

007 ethiopia copy.jpg

• eight

008 british home fleet copy.jpg

• nine

009 british not-at-home-fleet copy.jpg

• ten

010 northern america copy.jpg

• eleven

011 russia copy.jpg

• twelve

012 novgorod copy.jpg

• mmm…

the problem as UK is that you don’t know which turn Germany will attack, and UK isn’t that rich, especially if Italy goes nibbling IPC’s away in Africa and the Middle-East.

Sending a fighter away from UK is also inviting Germany abit to go for their Sea-Lion.
    Gathering the fleet in SZ109is not bad, i think, but it will depend on how many subs Germany has left after his first turn (and how many planes it can bring to SZ109. If the UK fleet is strong enough to withstand a german sub + air force attack (or lose it but with a good possibility to bring down some air force), i wouldn’t buy extra ships (perhaps 1 fodder sub) and leave all fighters on land. Buying land troops.
    I think germany won’t be too keen on sending surface fleet all around England (bad position for them, as they can be blocked, have no naval base and drop any immediate threat on Russia).

• If you just build fleet, UK is defended with 2 inf and, at best, 4 planes. Germany, even if it didn’t build a transport G1, attacks with inf, tank, and 8 planes.

• Customizer

Thanks for the play by play.  That is great!

I’ll have to run the numbers, but I suspect that I would not buy as many TTs on G2 and just hit the fleet with the German fleet and land with some ground units.

I’ll run the numbers later.

Cheers

• you are welcome!

and yes: it is a huge problem that all german aircraft and fleet can reach that british one. but if you calculate the odds a bit (knowing that dice always f**k around with odds), anyone can easily peceive that to destroy this very british fleet germany has to attack with all aircraft and subs or with some planes and some navy or all navy etc.
    the latter would mean that any new built german transport is without any protection.
    it is likely that the british fleet gets destroyed but not flawless!

if you choose to buy two carriers you can put all planes on them adding a cruiser and two destroyers to join this fleet. but in UK home territory there are only three infantry and a tank to find.

and it is correct, too, to mention that all depends on german buys. if germany buys one or two transports in G1 its getting harder for the british to choose whether to buy. but i would leave the taranto raid anyway aside. gathering that fleet equals more pressure for germany helping russia this way far better than keeping italy small. therefor i would go as usa directly to the med with all means.

well… the gambling goes on!

• Or Germany can just invade the UK with 2 ground units and 8 planes on G2

• @rock`n:

you are welcome!

and yes: it is a huge problem that all german aircraft and fleet can reach that british one. but if you calculate the odds a bit (knowing that dice always f**k around with odds), anyone can easily peceive that to destroy this very british fleet germany has to attack with all aircraft and subs or with some planes and some navy or all navy etc.
    the latter would mean that any new built german transport is without any protection.
    it is likely that the british fleet gets destroyed but not flawless!

if you choose to buy two carriers you can put all planes on them adding a cruiser and two destroyers to join this fleet. but in UK home territory there are only three infantry and a tank to find.

well… the gambling goes on!

You really can’t afford to get those fighters out of there; together with an all INF buy they are the ones that will have to keep the germans out. Germany can’t both sink the UK fleet and invade UK (unless it didnot lose a single sub in the 1st round).
    Losing your fleet is 1 thing, losing UK is something else.

• Customizer

Looking at it closer, you are inviting me to hit G2 with 2 - 3 TTs (depending on my opening) and all my planes and 2 amphibs vs 3 inf, 1 tank and 4 planes.

With this, I would hit for for sure with 95% odds.  I also wouldn’t need to buy the TTs on G3.

Placing the navy in sz110 wouldn’t help, as I can go around.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m