Any interest in War at Sea support for MapView

• Can antything be ON an island?  Can anything be in a hex/square with an island?  As long as nothing needs to be on the island then you can do it in MapView.  Its stacking images in MapView doesn’t work well.

How is LOS determined in WAS?  The AAM maps have that little dot to help.

the center if each sea zone and Island Zone also has a center Dot like in AAM

• MOT - Is there anything I can do (graphics support) to get a War at Sea version of MapView going or has it been determined that there isn’t enough interest?

Avalon Hill is getting ready to start a Guadalcanal campaign that will use elements of the startegic boardgame, War at Sea, and Axis & Allies Miniatures. I’d like to participate on all levels, but only have Axis & Allies Miniatures as a forum based, PBEM option. (Thanks to you!)

• Once you get a look at the AAMinin structure, I imagine you can, if you so choose, create a WAS version.

There are less maps and less units, so it will be an easier hill to climb.

Mot

• Until I download the MapView files you provided, I guess I can get started by pulling ship images off the internet.

• I suggest utilizing the Avalon Hill Gallery when possible, so as to use familiar images to WAS players.

Right now we put maps on Photobucket, and then Use Text for the Units.

Kinda like this

• @Deaths:

Right now we put maps on Photobucket, and then Use Text for the Units.

Kinda like this

Wait to you see how Mot’s mapview maps look and are easy to move and follow.  Check out our land games…

• Agreed, please take a look at the utility we use for A&A Miniuatures and provide feedback on what would need to get tweaked to support WAS.

• OK … I may not be a programmer or computer savy, but I’m here to tell you that I can do a much better map than that.

• @Cobalt:

OK … I may not be a programmer or computer savy, but I’m here to tell you that I can do a much better map than that.

Listen, I’m sure the map above gets the job done, but why settle for one of the Olsen twins when you can have Jessica Alba.  :)

Wow , Sorry I posted anything at all, My Bad.

It Does get the Job done, And No I am not looking for the Map of the year Award.

All I have on this Comp is a Basic Paint, You want a better Map then Hows this?

There Take your Pick. :-o

@Cobalt:

OK … I may not be a programmer or computer savy, but I’m here to tell you that I can do a much better map than that.

Good for you  :roll:

• It’s better than I could do, not bad at all.

DH, check out our minis game and look at one of the maps on map view.  Tell me what you think.  It visually nice and east to use and move units, show attacks etc.

• The tool isnt about the map design, the tool (MapView) is about playing PBEM or PBF games…or rather making playing easier.

It lets you move your units around easily, keep track of your turns, undo/redo support, etc etc.

Lets keep the thread on topic, and see if WAS can be done via MapView.

• Sorry Death Heads … didn’t mean to fire any shots across the bow. The second set of maps look much better, though I didn’t know you could play WAS with hexes as well. I need to learn and play the game to see how the rectangular quadrants work compared to the hex based map that I am familiar with.

• Hexes and offset squares are actualkly the same

hexsquare.jpg

• @Motdc:

Hexes and offset squares are actualkly the same

I should have known that.  :oops:

• Please feel free to try this MapView test of War at Sea which can be downloaded at:

http://www.battlevault.com/Campaigns/Guadalcanal/Guadalcanal_01.htm

Mot has done a great job of walking people through how to get up and running with MapView on this forum. All you need to do is drop the downloaded “War_at_Sea_Test.udm” file into the MapView mods folder and you should be good-to-go.

A couple of notes on this test file:

1. I am still trying to figure out the right scaling of everything.
    2. The color and bit depth of the map went is a little out of whack.
    3. I still need to go and buy the starter set to learn the game to see what else needs to be added to the MapView mod.
    4. I ultimately hope to have six MapView mods, one for each map, with at least Pacific WWII fleets.

I’ll take a look at it tonight.

And Hook you up with some feed Back

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m