Any interest in War at Sea support for MapView

• The random islands might be hard to implement with the current version of MapView, depending on exactly how they are used.

Some questions:

Is there a maxiumum number of units in a hex (or square, though if each row of squares is offset by 50% then they are effectively hexes)?

Are there additional counters needed beyond what is used in AAM?

Same for arrows (if you are familiar with MapView)?  For AAM, you have Move, Attack, Load/Unload, Defensive Fire.

If I am ever going to support WaS, I might as well do it while there is only one set out!

• @Motdc:

The random islands might be hard to implement with the current version of MapView, depending on exactly how they are used.

Some questions:

Is there a maxiumum number of units in a hex (or square, though if each row of squares is offset by 50% then they are effectively hexes)?

Yes. Each player may have up to two ships, one submarine and 4 aircraft. You can download a rulebook here. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/waratsea

Are there additional counters needed beyond what is used in AAM?

Not certain what land minis uses. There are aborted and rearming counters for aircraft. There are objective counters and various damage, destroyed and crippled counters.
    Here are some tricked up ones close enough to the cardboard punch outs. http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/PROD/TS/TS045

Same for arrows (if you are familiar with MapView)?  For AAM, you have Move, Attack, Load/Unload, Defensive Fire.

Not sure what you need here. Ships have movement points/ speed value. Only so many sectors in the movement step. Planes may be placed in any sector on the map in air movement. No matter whether they started at the airbase or on a carrier.

If I am ever going to support WaS, I might as well do it while there is only one set out!

The rumor mill has Set II not till well into the summer. Maybe not even by GenCon.

• There is a discussion over at AH about table tops for WAS. It provides a link to a homemade version of the board. I post it because I’m not sure my description of the map grid WAS uses was clear.

Photos: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150/harleygraves/IMG_0203.jpg

Thread: http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?p=325225#post325225

• Thanks!

• Mot,

Any luck with these maps?

• It didn’t really seem like there was much interest so I didn’t pursue it.  You’ve got extensive experience playing A&A Minis w/ MapView so you know how it works…is War at Sea doable in MapView?

• The only problem I see is the Island deployment.  The reality is that should finally have a complete set in about one week since I was missing four rare units and I have yet to play the game… DK and I are going to give it a test run soon.  However, it would be much easier and cool if we can post the games on the board.

• Can antything be ON an island?  Can anything be in a hex/square with an island?  As long as nothing needs to be on the island then you can do it in MapView.  Its stacking images in MapView doesn’t work well.

How is LOS determined in WAS?  The AAM maps have that little dot to help.

the center if each sea zone and Island Zone also has a center Dot like in AAM

• MOT - Is there anything I can do (graphics support) to get a War at Sea version of MapView going or has it been determined that there isn’t enough interest?

Avalon Hill is getting ready to start a Guadalcanal campaign that will use elements of the startegic boardgame, War at Sea, and Axis & Allies Miniatures. I’d like to participate on all levels, but only have Axis & Allies Miniatures as a forum based, PBEM option. (Thanks to you!)

• Once you get a look at the AAMinin structure, I imagine you can, if you so choose, create a WAS version.

There are less maps and less units, so it will be an easier hill to climb.

Mot

• Until I download the MapView files you provided, I guess I can get started by pulling ship images off the internet.

• I suggest utilizing the Avalon Hill Gallery when possible, so as to use familiar images to WAS players.

Right now we put maps on Photobucket, and then Use Text for the Units.

Kinda like this

• @Deaths:

Right now we put maps on Photobucket, and then Use Text for the Units.

Kinda like this

Wait to you see how Mot’s mapview maps look and are easy to move and follow.  Check out our land games…

• Agreed, please take a look at the utility we use for A&A Miniuatures and provide feedback on what would need to get tweaked to support WAS.

• OK … I may not be a programmer or computer savy, but I’m here to tell you that I can do a much better map than that.

• @Cobalt:

OK … I may not be a programmer or computer savy, but I’m here to tell you that I can do a much better map than that.

Listen, I’m sure the map above gets the job done, but why settle for one of the Olsen twins when you can have Jessica Alba.  :)

Wow , Sorry I posted anything at all, My Bad.

It Does get the Job done, And No I am not looking for the Map of the year Award.

All I have on this Comp is a Basic Paint, You want a better Map then Hows this?

There Take your Pick. :-o

@Cobalt:

OK … I may not be a programmer or computer savy, but I’m here to tell you that I can do a much better map than that.

Good for you  :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m