How do you explain the rules of A&A to newbies?

• So, how’s your process of teaching the rules of Axis and Allies to newbies? Let’s assume the rules being taught is from Anniversary onward (Spring '42, 1940, etc.)

I ask this because…well, I don’t know of a good method of teaching it. Do I just dive right into the first turn and explain the concepts along the way? Do I make everyone’s eyes glaze over by going over every rule before the game starts? In what order should what rules be taught? What are the most important to hammer into their heads?

In order for me to answer that, I need to get answers from you guys, fellow A&A players.

• I’d introduce with the phases of a turn and how combat works and point them to unit stats. If you’re teaching G40, explain how bases and convoys work as well. When you get to more complex rule situation, you explain at that point.

• If I’m starting from the

very

beginning, I first play D-Day. It’s the simplest to understand, and they learn about basic combat and movement rules. If they enjoy that game, I upgrade to revised/42 and have them play as Russia along with one or two experienced allied players to show them basic strategy. From that point on, they can comprehend the basic game functions and can work to develop their own strategies. I’m looking forward to getting the global game to make kind of a “final exam” before they graduate AAA basic training.

• First set-up the game making the newb help. This allows them to get an idea of what is where on the map and what units they’ll have. You’ll be able to throw in some small stuff like IPC values on territories, planes on ACs and what IC’s and AA do. Don’t volunteer too much information not related to specific questions though.

Then you explain the object of the game and how you win.

You then explain the combat move phase and how your actions there help you achieve the object of the game by increasing your income and reducing the opposition’s and that this income allows you to buy reinforcements.

You then explain combat and the various units’ combat values and abilities.

Then non-combat movement and units’ various movement abilities filling in the gaps in combat movement.

At this point you should be able to begin playing. Once started you will have to determine how much hand holding the newb requires in terms of strategy suggestions and being made aware of finer points in the rules and abilities.

• '10

I have used 1942 to teach newbs…  it is much less intimidating.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m