Latest Patch and Utilities for Hasbro Axis and Allies CD-Rom 1998

• Hmmm, well I did get the email to confirm (which I clicked & logged in) and my name appears in red at the top of the page every time I visit the site, so I have no clue what the problem is.

• I have Windows Vista 64-bit, and I can get the game to work, but on a 23" monitor, it is a bit hard to play fullscreen mode.  So I installed Virtual Box and tried both Windows 7 and Windows XP, and with both, I get the following error when I try to run it:
        LIB_InitVideo: ERROR 0x887601b3
        Can’t lock Primary Surface!
    So, it works on my machine, but not in a virtual machine on my machine.  Any ideas?

I only have one guess: “Can’t lock Primary Surface” may have to do with the fact that the game wants to lock the entire drawing surface, and somehow the virtual machine is seeing the actual video card (so the entire “screen”, not just the portion of its window), and the game is trying to lock access to the entire “screen”, which of course it can’t.

I tried running Virtual Box in fullscreen mode to see what happens, and that didn’t help.

I posted on the Virtual Box forums, but so far, the only response is the very unhelpful:
        “Forget it. Some games work in a VM, the mostly not.”

Ideas?

• Nevermind–I got it to work!  I had to install VBoxGuestAdditions.  Not sure what that does, but it now works.

How about this one:
    I played a game the other day and when it was UK’s turn (a computer), they industrial bomb Germany, and then in the non-combat phase the screen moves around a few times showing several of Japan’s territories (which seems odd), then goes back to showing the UK, and then does nothing.  There is a little arrow near the plane on the UK, and the Bomber is missing.  I have restarted the game (I saved it right before this) about 10 times, and the same thing happens every time.  I try to fix the file, but the add-on program says there is no corruption in the file.  So, is there nothing I can do to finish that game?

• '10

Update: Game is now available for download…please view the post stickied to the top of this forum http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=17851.0 for information and conditions.  See you on the WARZONE!

KURT

• Duuuuuuuuude… this new patch is awesome and works wonderfully!!! Now I can finally play the game! Kudos to Plotinus and whoever else was involved!  :-D

• '10

UPDATE: Plotinus and aqrit have announced the release of the 5.0 PATCH.

New additions with this patch include:

*  Dice stats (/luck command): Displayed for each side is the number of hits above or below average followed by the actual number of hits/the average number of hits of that side’s dice = % of actual to average hits. I.e., 100% = exactly average, 90% = 10% below average, 110% = 10% above average. Below this is a comparison of the luck of each side, showing which side has done better than which and by how many hits compared to the average, / the total number of actual hits for both sides = % of difference to total hits. This final percent gives a rough idea of how big a roll luck has played in the game, with 0% = luck has played no roll.
        * Hot Keys: The following hot keys have been added:
              o F1: Shows a help screen.
              o ALT-F: Toggles flag display on or off.
              o ALT-ENTER: Switches A&A to Windowed mode. To unlock the mouse in Windowed mode, click on the title screen of the window. The game may run very slowly in Windowed mode, it is primarily a way to switch out of the game quickly to do something then go back in. To switch back to Full-Screen mode, simply Maximize the window.
              o ALT-TAB: Minimize A&A. Much less stable than ALT-ENTER.
        * Combat Movement: The game will now allow you to move units to non-combat locations during the Combat Phase. This is primarily to permit planes to path through allied territory (to avoid AA or establish retreat routes) and to permit Aircraft Carriers to move to show the game potential fighter landing spots. It should not be used illegally to block naval retreats.
        * Neutral Bug Fixes:
              o Planes can now use their final movement point to land on a captured neutral.
              o Planes can now capture neutrals by flying over them, and must do so to fly over them. Capturing neutrals in this way costs 3 IPC’s as normal.
              o To prevent accidental buying, planes will now never automatically path over uncaptured neutrals. To take a neutral with a plane, you much manually path the plane to that neutral. It can then go on to another combat location in the same phase.
              o Tanks can now blitz through captured neutrals, though per the rules, not in the same phase that they are originally captured.
        * 2 Dice Heavy Bombers Option: This option replaces the never used No Tech Development option on the main options screen in-game. When selected, Heavy Bombers will only roll 2 dice instead of 3 both in combat and during Strategic Bombing raids.
        * Allied Sub Retreats: A bug that prevented allied subs from retreating (notably the USSR sub from the North Sea on Germans first combat phase) has been fixed.
        * Combat Unit Lock: A bug causing the error “Max History Log Exceeded” when either side in a battle rolled more than 164 dice has been eased–the limit is now 255 dice for either side. Note this is for each side, not combined–i.e., Allies could roll 255 and Axis another 255 in the same battle without breaking anything.
        * Chat Window Clearing: The chat window will no longer clear its contents when it is closed then reopened.
        * Drake Passage Pathing: A pathing bug at Drake Passage has been fixed.
        * Removed Re-Loading: Removed the ability to reload a save during a multiplayer game to head of any temptation to try running the game in a Window, saving it, editing IPC’s with the IPC editor, and reloading it. Thanks to AABoss for pointing out this idea to me–I don’t know if it would have worked, but better safe than sorry. Re-loading has long been used to “unstick” amphibious assaults into undefended territories that involved a sea battle–however, simply clicking “Done” to the combat phase will accomplish the same thing.
        * Not Backwards Compatible: Please not that v5.0 is not backwards compatible with previous versions of A&A. This means if anyone in a game is using v5.0, everyone must be or the game will lock up/malfunction at certain points. Player’s versions are displayed in the chat area of the Waiting For Players screen when A&A first starts–verify there that everyone is using v5.0. Saved games, however, can be shared between v5.0 and previous versions, though games saved in previous versions will not have the dice stat information saved.

A number of enhancements and bug fixes coded independently by Aqrit have been included in v5.0 with his permission. These can all be turned on or off by his new configuration utility, runnable from the AA Helper application. By default, all are turned on except Force Direct Draw Emulation.

* A&A Windowed Mode: Hit ALT-ENTER during the game to for A&A to run in a window. Maximize the window to return to full screen mode. While in Windowed mode, click on the window’s title bar to toggle locking and unlocking the mouse to the windown. Note that windowed mode may run very slowly on some computers (it does on mine), but it is still useful for popping out to change your mp3’s, check if your opponent is still in the WZ, etc.
        * ALT-TAB: ALT-TAB may now be used to switch out of the game without running it in a window. However, this is much more likely to lock up than using ALT-ENTER to just go to windowed mode, especially if it isn’t your turn. Its what automatically happens when something tries to “pop up” over A&A, though, so such pop ups are now much less likely to lock up the game–just try to get back into the game as quickly as possible when that happens, especially if it isn’t your turn.
        * Improved Video Card Compatibility: Aqrit has made further improvements to his fix for the surface locking bug that was causing some video cards and OS’s to crash running A&A. His fix is now turned on by default.
        * Force DirectDraw Emulation Option: This option is off by default, and should only be turned on as a last resort if you can not get the game to run any other way. It turns off all hardware acceleration of the game graphics, and is likely to make the game run very slowly unless you have a very fast computer.
        * Arrow-Key Map Scrolling: The map can now be scrolled with the up, down, left, and right arrow keys. This is on by default, but can be turned off if prefer to use those keys for their Chat Window functions.
        * Faster Transport Unloading: Automatically selects the next unit to unload from a group of transports.
        * Faster Transport Movement: Automatically selected the next transport to move. This option along with the one above it are intended to prevent having to use the special Transport window.
        * Uncap USA IC Production: A fix for the bug that sometimes limit US production in the E USA to 12 units. While it technically can be turned off, there is no reason to do so, and doing might cause problems when playing others who have it turned on–so best to always leave this on.

Download the newest patch here: http://ewarzone.com/aa.html

• @carcass:

Duuuuuuuuude… this new patch is awesome and works wonderfully!!! Now I can finally play the game! Kudos to Plotinus and whoever else was involved!  :-D

Kewl it doesnt work for me, sheez why?

• '10

UPDATE:  Aqrit has come out with an unofficial patch(not yet part of the official 5.1 Patch) that has some cool features and may help some who cannot get the game going since it adds many new video options.

http://users.cjb.net/aqrit/drawfix.zip

Of course make sure to download the game first here:
    http://ewarzone.com/aa.html

Files will download into your unzipped folder.  Just open the drawfix file and doubleclick on the AA_Drawfix352.exe file and then copy and paste the TerritoryIPC folder into your axisandallies directory.

Then go into your axisandallies game directory and doubleclick on the drawfix_config.exe file.(I created a shortcut on my desktop for easy access).  A menu will appear with all aqrit’s additions.

Here is what has been added in this unofficial patch:

New Video options- May allow those with video issues to play the game once again.

FPS Max 30- Frames-per-second Maxium Rate. Limit the game to rendering, at most, 30 frames-per-second via a timer. This fixes some animations that are not controlled by a timer. Modern computers may be able run this game at around 1,000 fps

Show FPS- Show Frame-per-second…displays the frame-rate in the upper-left corner of the game window.

Frame Flipping- While in fullscreen mode: Swap the front and back display buffers.
    Flipping is faster than simply copying the back buffer to the front buffer. (and might be better supported by graphic cards as well)

VSYNC- Sync the frame rate with the moniter refresh rate. This prevents screen “tearing”. It also limits Fps Max to your monitor refresh rate (60-75 fps). This feature is not supported by the “Force DirectDraw Emulation” option.

Edit Mode Improvements:

-Allows other units of your alliance to be placed on your capital.

-It is now possible to edit several aaguns on a single territory.

-Removal of units no longer requires that the editor be set to ‘all countries’

-Click the “Unit Edit” bar a third time for an even smaller menu

-If 2-Hit battleships are enabled:
    Edit in 1-Hit battleships
    Move 1-Hit battleships (in edit mode) without healing them

-Kremlin selection menu
    Located on the unit edit screen allows a player with the press of a button to select scenarios and setup neutrals for each country.

New chat commands:

Allied Occupation
    /lib ON
    /lib OFF

When liberating a territory and the original owner’s capital is under enemy control, then the liberator assumes ownership of said territory, until said capital is liberated. An ally may use a re-captured industrial complex of his ally until said ally is liberated.

Option Selection Shortcuts: Use on setup screen
    Quick setup for Axis and Allies World Club databases:
    /Omaha
    /Kremlin
    /Utah
    /Gold
    /Anzio

/IPC [filename]
    Set the IPC value for each territory
    IPC values are defined in the file specified
    Files are located in your game-directory’s “TerritoryIPC” folder
    Open the file then change territory IPC values to desired levels then hit save
    On chatbox in setup screen for example type /IPC neutrals1 to finalize the changes

/AXIS [Country] [Country]
    country= RU, DE, UK, JA, US
    Select which two Countries will battle the other three.
    Example: /axis ru ja makes Germany, UK, & USA the allies.

Tinted Combat Units- The graphics for tanks, battleships, carriers, transports, and submarines are no longer the default gray. They are tinted towards the color of their owner Countries (like Infantry already are). In multi-nation battles it will be easier to identify which units belong to which country, easing the assignment of causalities.

Submerged submarine bug fix- Resurfaced submarines are no longer required to fight enemy ships in the seazone they are in…they can move into and attack adjacent seazones.

Paratroop bug fix- Paratroopers were previously allowed only to paratroop one time…this has been fixed.

untitled.jpg

• I would like to post the videos from the old Iron Blitz game, but the seem to be in an unusual file format (mgf). Does anyone know how to read them.

I have posted the files at the bottom of the following page http://www.rogercooper.com/AxisAlliesTriple-AComputerVersion.htm.

• mgf is a container
    the movies are probably smack video files
    you would extract the movies with a hex editor

you could probably rip them out raw by knowing a little bit about the smack file format
    ( the files probably start with a “smk2” magic )

I haven’t look at Iron Blitz
    but the container format might be the same as in the first game
    if so then see my source code (image_shader.cpp) for some of the internal structures of the mgf file

• but what about the Axis & Allies (2004 video game)? does that have a update?

• '10

Version 6.0(3.71) of the Patch has been released:  Give this download a try if you have had trouble launching with previous versions.

Download location:  http://ewarzone.com/aa.html

Any further patch updates to the 6.0 version will be located here:
    http://users.cjb.net/aqrit/drawfix.zip

So this download would update your 6.0(3.71) to 6.0(3.72) for example

Patch additions:

-New Video options- May allow those with video issues to play the game once again…I have helped several new players on the Warzone launch with these options.

Show FPS- Show Frame-per-second…displays the frame-rate in the upper-left corner of the game window.

Surface Flipping- While in fullscreen mode: Swap the front and back display buffers.
    Flipping is faster than simply copying the back buffer to the front buffer. (and might be better supported by graphic cards as well)

VSYNC- Sync the frame rate with the moniter refresh rate. This prevents screen “tearing”. It also limits Fps Max to your monitor refresh rate (60-75 fps). This feature is not supported by the “Force DirectDraw Emulation” option.

Force DirectDraw emulation- Initialize the DirectDraw object for all features.

Edit Mode Improvements:

-Allows other units of your alliance to be placed on your capital.

-It is now possible to edit several aaguns on a single territory.

-Removal of units no longer requires that the editor be set to ‘all countries’

-Click the “Unit Edit” bar a third time for an even smaller menu

-If 2-Hit battleships are enabled:
    Edit in 1-Hit battleships
    Move 1-Hit battleships (in edit mode) without healing them

-Kremlin selection menu
    Located on the unit edit screen allows a player with the press of a button to select scenarios and setup neutrals for each country. Automatically adjusts ipc victory levels when neutrals are selected.

New game setup options:

Set Allied occupation one of four ways:

1. Off

Rule used before the 6.0 Patch.

2. Second Edition rules

How the game is supposed to be played…this fixes major bugs we have been forced to play with for years. AAWC games must have this setting turned ON.

When liberating a territory and the original owner’s capital is under enemy control, then the liberator assumes ownership of said territory, until said capital is liberated. An ally may use a re-captured industrial complex of his ally until said ally is liberated.

3. Liberation scavenger

If the active country’s capital has NOT fallen then if any of their tanks or infantry units move during the Combat Phase onto, or across a friendly territories whose owner’s capital HAS fallen then that territory is seized for the active country

4. Liberation aggressive

If the active country’s capital has NOT fallen then if any of their tanks or infantry units touch a territory whose owner’s capital HAS fallen then that territory is seized for the active country(no need to move, territories can be captured by moving FROM that territory)

-Set any two countries to be the axis powers.
    country= RU, DE, UK, JA, US
    Select which two Countries will battle the other three.

-Tinted Combat Units- The graphics for tanks, battleships, carriers, transports, and submarines are no longer the default gray. They are tinted towards the color of their owner Countries (like Infantry already are). In multi-nation battles it will be easier to identify which units belong to which country, easing the assignment of causalities.

-Setting to ensure that taking a neutral will cost 3IPC’s. Taking multiple neutrals in the same turn now costs more than 3IPC’s.

New setup screen chat commands:

-Automatically sets up the following rulesets on the game setup screen.
    /Omaha
    /Kremlin
    /Utah
    /Gold
    /Anzio

/IPC [filename]
    Set the IPC value for each territory
    IPC values are defined in the file specified
    Files are located in your game-directory’s “TerritoryIPC” folder
    Open the file then change territory IPC values to desired levels then hit save
    On chatbox in setup screen for example type /IPC neutrals1 to finalize the changes

Bug fixes-

Submerged submarine bug fix- Resurfaced submarines are no longer required to fight enemy ships in the seazone they are in…they can move into and attack adjacent seazones. Some examples: This will mean that the USSR transport can not move over the German sub in Omaha games and force it to remain in the Baltic. If the USSR sub attacks the German sub and misses in the NE Atlantic the German sub can submerge and still attack either British battleship.

Paratroop bug fix- Paratroopers were previously allowed only to paratroop one time…this has been fixed.

Game no longer locks up when attacking submarines retreat from a battle where only enemy air units remain.

Technology Roller bug fix- If one waited too long to roll tech and got his tech at the time the game timer ran out he would not be given the tech…this has been fixed.

Un-placing an Industial Complex on the edit unit screen no longer leaves behind an “invisible IC”

Prevents accidental skipping of in-progress weapon development

A 3 IPC penalty is always applied when a neutral is first captured

Amphib assault w/naval conflict to empty territory freeze is fixed

• I am so lost - I am not very PC ofey so wonder if a kind soul will help me - my old PC was past it so treated myself to a new home PC beginning of this year - it cost me a fair bit so should be able to cope with online simple gaming - anyway I wish to play A&A but not sure the best way to get it. My PC’s OS is Windows 7, my anti-virus is AVG. I have not tried to use it in my new PC but I do own the original HASBRO A&A CD Rom from years ago - as I live in UK assume it was bought here.

So what is the best way for me to get back up and running with all bugs fixed. What I loved about War Zone before my old PC got to slow was the extra features the patches allowed…. I especially liked being able to change which coutries were allied with who but why I gave up playing was a bug that when ever I reloaded a saved game all the coutries IPC’s would dissapear. I also found when I played a game picking new pairs of Axis/Allies combo’s when you got to round 2 the IPC’s earnt in round 1 had dissapeared and I could not work out how to get them back… then my PC got old and slow and so I just stopped playing due to frustration but now I have a new PC want to get back on the horse so to speak. So what’s my best course of action…?

Do I download off WZ or do I sick my CD Rom in (and will it work as it was made for Windows 98).

Thanks inadvance for any help offered.

• Install the game from the CD

if you want the fixpacks -> http://www.bitpatch.com/aa.html

to get it running without the fixpacks -> http://www.bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html
    with the options for your version

v1.0
    	BltNoTearing = 1
    	DisableHighDpiScaling = 1
    	ForceBltNoTearing = 1
    	NoVideoMemory = 1
    	SingleProcAffinity	= 1

v1.3.3
    	BltNoTearing = 1
    	ForceBltNoTearing = 1
    	NoVideoMemory = 2
    	SingleProcAffinity = 1

v1.5 ( Iron Blitz )
    	BltNoTearing = 1
    	ForceBltNoTearing = 1
    	NoVideoMemory = 2

Optional:
    	FakeVsync = 1
    	ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1

• This post is deleted!

• “Can’t find Axis Resource 1!”

The game couldn’t find or open Data.mgf
    That file should be in the same folder as the executable.

I plan on installing win8 sometime this week…

• Installing from the CD,
    the 1.33 patch,
    and the Starterpack

All worked without issue (here) on win8 x64

• Trying to get this on my Surface Pro (because oh how fantastic would Axis&Allies be on a touchscreen, right?), so alas can’t start with the CD (no drive).

I tried just installing the Starter Pack 60 full version, and I’m not sure if I’m getting glitches because it’s wonky from a touch screen or if it’s just Windows 8 64, or a screen resolution/colors issue. Any advice on particular settings to try before launching the game that may enable me to use today’s technology to play yesterday’s games?

• There is a problem with the game running slow on win8.
    http://axisandalliesworldclub.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=64697#p64697

If the frame rate is too low there is some weird behavior with buttons ( like when purchasing units )

(edit1: do NOT use ForceDirectDrawEmulation on Win8 )
    (edit2: it may be possible that DirectDraw is not hardware accelerated on your device… which means it’d be using ForceDirectDrawEmulation whether you select it or not. )

That’s all the help I can offer.
    You may be happier using TripleA

• Thank you for the response. Win8 seems to have pretty decent “Troubleshoot Compatibility” workarounds for those interested. I was able to essentially just go through the troubleshooter (right click on the game and choose to troubleshoot compatibility) and answer some questions about what wasn’t working for me, and it adjusted it to run as if it were Win XP and then changed something about the resolution as well.

So I went from resolution problems fixed to problems where my mouse or finger didn’t click where it was actually pointing to seeing “through” the game into my desktop whenever I clicked to essentially running the game with no issues.

So with the correct compatibility, and currently with ForceDirectDrawEmulation ON (though later I will try with it off, as well), I’m now happy enough. If I use the mouse, there are no issues. If I use the touchscreen, I see “through” the game into my desktop (as if I am touching an opaque material and making it transparent for an instant) but only for an instant such that it doesn’t even both me, and I am enjoying performing some of the AA tasks by hand. The only graphics issue really is that combat screens very slooowly expand before I can start rolling dice, but it’s only a few seconds and manageable overall.

Thank you greatly for taking the time to dedicate to this game, answering questions, and providing support. I’ll report back if I find any other improvements or issues so that others don’t give up when at first things don’t look so great.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m