• 2007 AAR League

With so many games being played at Axisandallies.org, is there any statistics on the games?
    I am thinking stats like win ratio Axis/Allies, average bids  and  perhaps what turn the game ended in.

So, is there any such statistics available?
    What more statistics would be interesting to see, except for the abovementioned stats?

• @Perry:

With so many games being played at Axisandallies.org, is there any statistics on the games?
    I am thinking stats like win ratio Axis/Allies, average bids  and  perhaps what turn the game ended in.

What more statistics would be interesting to see, except for the abovementioned stats?

really good topic  Perry, agree with you if it could be done, it would be great  :wink:

we can also add something like; Russian first turn attack, number of games in which enemy capital fell before the final turn, number of games in which both players lost their capital in the same game…

but what you have mentioned is essential i think
    -so if we just decide what stats to use, and if people agree, after each league game the players can add their scores to the  Stats topic which woud be here in the League forum
    -we can help new players a lot with those stats and afcorse even the veterans and relatively new players( like me ) will pull benefits from it

• @Perry:

Baseball fan here.  I bet I could think of a few.  :-D

Player Statistics
    Total Games Played –> G
    Total Games Played as Axis --> GAX
    Total Wins --> W
    Total Losses --> L
    Total Ties --> T
    Total Wins as Axis --> WAX
    Total Wins as Allies --> WAL
    Total Rounds Played --> R    Note: a nation’s turn counts as 1/5 of a Round.  Conceding after UK’s turn, you have played .6 of that round.
    Total Battles --> B              Note: Strategic Bombing, Cruise Missles, etc. do not count as battles.
    Total Battles as Axis --> BAX
    Total Battles Won --> V      Note:  To win, the attacker must occupy the contested territory or the victory goes to the defender.
    Total Battles Won as Axis --> VAX
    Total Win Percentage --> WP = W / G
    Axis Win Percentage --> AXWP = WAX / GAX
    Allied Win Percentage --> ALWP = WAL / (G - GAX)
    Average Rounds Per Game --> RPG = R / G
    Average Battles Per Round --> ABR = B / R
    Battle Victory Percentage --> VP = V / B
    Axis Battle Victory Percentage --> AXVP = VAX / BAX
    Allied Battle Victory Percentage --> ALVP = (V-VAX) / (B - BAX)
    Win Percentage Plus Battle Victory Percentage --> WPV = WP + VP  Note: This is meant to measure the total effectiveness of a player.  Rage is 0.000 to 2.000.  It will be hard to have the same values between two players here.

League Statistics
    Total Games –> TG
    Total Bid Value for all games --> TB
    Total Axis Wins --> TAX
    Total Allied Wins --> TAL
    Total Rounds Played --> TR
    Total Battles --> TBAT
    Axis Win Percentage --> AXWP = TAX / TG
    Allies Win Percentage --> ALWP = TAL / TG
    Average Bid --> AB = TB / TG
    Rounds per Game --> RPG = TR / TG
    Battles per Round --> BPR = TBAT / TR

• 2007 AAR League

my brain hurts …

• I am NOT volunteering to compile those stats!

Not unless the folks here want to HIRE me to do it since it would be a full time job.  6 figures to replace my current wages and I’ll consider it…  :-D

• Really, as a new player, I am interested in knowing statistical information about games. But not to much numbers! To provide all that numbers it should require another person to take note of all the events in the game.

A reduced number of statistical information could still be useful and interesting.

Games Played, Axis Win, Axis Loss and Tie games.

Total number of turns played.

Turn in wich a Capital fall in enemy hands.

I think they may give an indication of how much our games are distant to games played on average.
    I do not know if they may be useful for veteran player, however. :?

Only mi 2 cents.

• well i ve seen that this thing tie game has been mentioned several times, but according to game rulebook there is no tie game, just an unfinished one

or am i wrong

• Really, for tie games I intend an unfinished games that is terminated with reciprocal agreement without deciding to assign victory to someone. In our games it happens sometime.

• For most games here, a winner is declared.

• @ncscswitch:

I am NOT volunteering to compile those stats!

Not unless the folks here want to HIRE me to do it since it would be a full time job.  6 figures to replace my current wages and I’ll consider it…  :-D

No need.  We could easily replace you with a small shell script.  :-D    Just kidding.  We would NEVER replace you.  :wink:

It could be done with some Perl/PHP/shell scripts via a web interface.  Use flat files or MySQL, which ever is easiest.  Let the players enter in their own information using the Honor System.  The stats would grow.  Have a calculation page with a few options at first.  It could be neat.

• If you know HOW to do that, contact our site owner (DJensen) and see if he wants to do the data capture…

• @way2slo:

Win Percentage Plus Battle Victory Percentage –> WPV = WP + VP  Note: This is meant to measure the total effectiveness of a player.  Rage is 0.000 to 2.000.  It will be hard to have the same values between two players here.

This could be a really interesting statistic to debate over.  It measures the success of a player in the microcosm of single battles as well as the macrocosm of entire wars.  Granted, the two are related loosely, but style of play will affect it.  A player that does not win often, but puts up a good fight will still get a decent score.  If you win half your games and half your battles, you will rate 1.000.

Of course, we really won’t know how good it can be until we try to calculate it and see how it works out in the real world.  I highly encourage the online players to try and calculate their own WPV score.  You could go back and try to find your games and count the battles and the outcomes.  Perhaps that is too much to ask.

A better alternative is to start fresh with new games and keep track as you play.  That will be easier.

To calculate WPV, record the number of games you play, the number of times you win, the number of battles you fight, and the number of times you win a battle.  Take the number of times you win and divide them by the number of games you played to find your winning percentage.  It should be between .000 and 1.000.  Then take the number of battles you won and divide that by the number of battles you fought to find your victory percentage.    It should be between .000 and 1.000.  Add your winning percentage and your victory percentage to find your WPV score.  That should be between .000 and 2.000.

Is WPV a perfect stat?  No, but it I think it is a good statistic.  That is the beauty of it.  A perfect stat is a boring stat.  No debates.  No opinions.  However a stat like WPV leaves room for debate and opinion.

Give it a shot.

• @ncscswitch:

If you know HOW to do that, contact our site owner (DJensen) and see if he wants to do the data capture…

I’m a software engineer by trade, so I know how.  I don’t have a lot of free-time however.

A simple spreadsheet to track a single players stats would look like this:

Games	Games as Axis	Wins	Losses	Ties	Wins as Axis	Rounds Played	Total Battles	Total Battles as Axis	Total Battles Won	Total Battles Won as Axis	Win Percentage	Axis Win Percentage	Allied Win Percentage	Rounds per Game	Average Battles per Round	Battle Victory Percentage	Axis Battle Victory Percentage	Allied Battle Victory Percentage	Win Percentage plus Victory Percentage
    											=C2/A2	=F2/B2	=(C2-F2)/(A2-B2)	=G2/A2	=H2/G2	=J2/H2	=K2/I2	=(J2-K2)/(H2-I2)	=L2+Q2

The names are all on one line separated by tabs, the next line has 11 tabs, then each formula is separated by a tab.  Paste this into notepad and save as stats.txt

Then open Excel.  Open a new workbook.  On the menu, go to Data –> Import External Data --> Import Data…
    Navigate to the location of your .txt file.  At the bottom for “Files of Type:”, select “Text Files”.  Select “stats.txt” and then click on the “Open” button.
    On the “Text Import Wizard”, click on “Delimited” and then click on the “Finish” button.  On the “Import Data” window, select “Existing Worksheet” and then click on the “Ok” button.

That should give you the working spreadsheet.  Feel free to do a little word wrap, centering, and other formatting to suit your tastes.  You only need to enter data up to “Total Battles Won as Axis”.  The rest of them will calculate themselves.  I have validated that copying the above code and pasting it into Notepad version 5.1 and then importing with Excel version 10.6834.6830 SP3 works.

UPDATE: correction for Allied Win Percentage

• dang, are we gona make baseall cards with em!?

• 2007 AAR League

i’ll try to have a go at it, but i’ll start out small.
    Try to collect something like stats from an individual tourney. Thinking Spring-07 Singles.
    Problem now - need to get hold of the info from the Games in Progress thread. Games are a bit unsorted…  :-D

• @cyan:

dang, are we gona make baseall cards with em!?

Nothing should stop you from making your own.  If you were to do so, you would separate each Year as it’s own line and then doing a Career Total at the bottom.  Doing a “Ctrl-D” to “Fill Down” on the spreadsheet cells with forumlas will automatically correct for the row.  Then all you need to do is enter formulas for the bottom to add up the raw data, “Games” to “Total Battles Won as Axis”, you enter.  Enter this formula in the bottom row A “=SUM(A2:A10)” where A10 would be the last row of your chart.  Then select that cell and drag over to column J of that row.  Then do a  “Ctrl-R” to “Fill Right”.  That will auto-correct the formulas for each column.

• 2007 AAR League

I’d be most interested to see a correlation between bid amount and axis win rates

eg. with bid of 7, Axis wins 45% of games

What’s really needed is a database…

• I think that while I am playing it is slightly difficult to take note of in progress information, like battles related info.

It is more easy to take note of information at beginning and in the end of the game.
    Bid amount is an interesting thing to consider, for newbie as me, that are starting only now to consider bidding. It may be interesting to compare our results based on a certain amount of IPC bidden and results of other players more experts.

IMHO keeping the data to collect simpler allows to realize the idea more easily, because is less laborious to collect data.

• @Frood:

I’d be most interested to see a correlation between bid amount and axis win rates

eg. with bid of 7, Axis wins 45% of games

What’s really needed is a database…

this is a good idea indeed

• Yes, it is a great idea to tabulate game statistics.  I nominate -

(peers around)
    (points at random person)
    (runs away)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m