• Does anyone know some dog fighting tactics/moves or somewere were I can learn or get them?

My dilema is that me and a friend will play Blazing Angels, Squadrens of WWII for the PS3. when we play multiplayer and face off against eachother in a dual, we always end up getting into circaling around eachother trying to get on the others six. Usualy it’ll never end unless one gives up, and no matter what plane we choose it still happens.
    Oh yea, we usualy put the rocket option on too so you can’t stay infront of the enemy very lond before hr kills you in one hit

• Get a PC and buy the IL2 combo pack.

• @Gewehr:

Does anyone know some dog fighting tactics/moves or somewere were I can learn or get them?

My dilema is that me and a friend will play Blazing Angels, Squadrens of WWII for the PS3. when we play multiplayer and face off against eachother in a dual, we always end up getting into circaling around eachother trying to get on the others six. Usualy it’ll never end unless one gives up, and no matter what plane we choose it still happens.
    Oh yea, we usualy put the rocket option on too so you can’t stay infront of the enemy very lond before hr kills you in one hit

You do not say what planes that you are using, but that sounds like a problem with the game progam mechanics.  You should not get into endless turning fights unless you are both flying the same type of plane.  In WW2 flyoffs with the Japanese Zero, the following results were posted.

The Zero was on the six of a P-47 or a P-38 with 3/4 of a circle, on the six of a P-51 within one circle, on the six of a Corsair or Hellcat within 3 circles, and on a FM-2 Wildcat within 8 circles.  A Spitfire tested the same as the Wildcat.  If you get into this, you might try a diving turn followed by an abrupt pull-up to  break off and then climb out for another try.

• 2007 AAR League

On computer fighter simulations, its hard to do anything BUT turn around and around to get in your opponent’s tail. When I play BF 1942 or wwii online, I usually roof my plane to the limit and stay there until I see a prey. However, if I miss them on the way down, it turns into a twirly-twirly.

• I’m usualy in a FW 190A, Me 109G, Zero, or a Hyabusha. He’s usualy in a P51D Mustang, Spitefire IX, F-82 Twin mustang……the weirdest thing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-82_Twin_Mustang

Don’t get me wrong, after about 3-4 min of cercling, one got  behind the other.

• It still should not take that long.  The Hayabusa was even more manueverable than the Zero, but was very weak in armament, only two nose-mounted .50 caliber guns.  The Spit should take both Germans easily in turning combat, with the P-51 a little bit behind the Spit.  The Twin Mustang should be in real trouble in a turning fight.

• is it so suppose to simulate real flying? like you go slower by flying sideways. if that is true try puting you plane in high g-  forces so you fall behind. btw I think Dogfights is one of the best shows ever.

• @timerover51:

It still should not take that long.  The Hayabusa was even more manueverable than the Zero, but was very weak in armament, only two nose-mounted .50 caliber guns.  The Spit should take both Germans easily in turning combat, with the P-51 a little bit behind the Spit.  The Twin Mustang should be in real trouble in a turning fight.

The p82 retardedly is manoverable…yea
    When he’s the Spit, I’m the hybu. were almost evenly matched
    When hes the P51, I’m the FW…againg evenly matched

Also all of my planes are upgraded, (can turn off upgrades) so that efects it to the point that alot of my planes are evenly matched

• @Gewehr:

@timerover51:

It still should not take that long.  The Hayabusa was even more manueverable than the Zero, but was very weak in armament, only two nose-mounted .50 caliber guns.  The Spit should take both Germans easily in turning combat, with the P-51 a little bit behind the Spit.  The Twin Mustang should be in real trouble in a turning fight.

The p82 retardedly is manoverable…yea
    When he’s the Spit, I’m the hybu. were almost evenly matched
    When hes the P51, I’m the FW…againg evenly matched

Also all of my planes are upgraded, (can turn off upgrades) so that efects it to the point that alot of my planes are evenly matched

hay! i thought you disapperaed for the weekend or else i would of done my italy turn.

• I will in 45min

• Try watching dogfights on the history channel.  :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah, no matter how much I watch, I always get shot down on my "rolling scissors, because he doesn’t roll with me.

• It seems that the games do not simulate the airplanes of WWII in every detail.

I have played with Achtung Spitfire and Over The Reich for PC, tactic games with WWII airplanes. When you turn hard with your fighter you lose speed and altitude, and you lose more of them if your turn drag is high. If you make so for a long time you are meat on the table if your opponent is faster.
    The plane that lose the less (because is aerodynamically more efficient and have a more powerful engine) get the tail of the other that is slower.

A P-51 Mustang or a Spitfire may outmaneuver a FW-190. In fact Mustang may turn faster and loses less speed and altitide than the FW-190 and Spitfire IX is event better at doing so.
    Moreover Mustang and Spitfire have a powerful engine with a good accelleration, better than the Zero, so you may turn hard and then break off at high speed and diving, then return to dogfight, gradually your speed advantage will bring you on the tail of a slower Zero.

The experts German pilot (very few) know that, and uses the diametrical opposite tactic: hit and run. FW 190 keep high speed and make a slashing attack at the P-51 do not engaging in dogfight but running away to a safe distance, then turning back an making another pass, blazing with all the FW-190 firepower. Try to do little maneuvering and keep the speed high. You may turn back using an Immelman and run away making a power dive.

• @Romulus:

It seems that the games do not simulate the airplanes of WWII in every detail.

I have played with Achtung Spitfire and Over The Reich for PC, tactic games with WWII airplanes. When you turn hard with your fighter you lose speed and altitude, and you lose more of them if your turn drag is high. If you make so for a long time you are meat on the table if your opponent is faster.
    The plane that lose the less (because is aerodynamically more efficient and have a more powerful engine) get the tail of the other that is slower.

A P-51 Mustang or a Spitfire may outmaneuver a FW-190. In fact Mustang may turn faster and loses less speed and altitide than the FW-190 and Spitfire IX is event better at doing so.
    Moreover Mustang and Spitfire have a powerful engine with a good accelleration, better than the Zero, so you may turn hard and then break off at high speed and diving, then return to dogfight, gradually your speed advantage will bring you on the tail of a slower Zero.

The experts German pilot (very few) know that, and uses the diametrical opposite tactic: hit and run. FW 190 keep high speed and make a slashing attack at the P-51 do not engaging in dogfight but running away to a safe distance, then turning back an making another pass, blazing with all the FW-190 firepower. Try to do little maneuvering and keep the speed high. You may turn back using an Immelman and run away making a power dive.

thats good it takes into account the physics/enviroment part.

• I saw Dogfights on the H last nite. It was great! Those German pilots were something else. Turning into 5 enemy fighters, and the suicide ramming runs into bombers. I doubt I could have been talked into doing that stuff.
    The russian fighter pilots were trained to use their propellers to cut into german planes when they ran out of ammo, but I don’t think very many german fighters or bombers were brought down that way.
    Crazy Ivan

• Crazy Ivan, but has it been only an episode or has it been a tactic used by German pilots agains bombers?

I know about head on attack made on B-17s, because coming in front of the bombers formation reduce the time of exposition to the defensive MG fire.

• @Romulus:

Crazy Ivan, but has it been only an episode or has it been a tactic used by German pilots agains bombers?

I know about head on attack made on B-17s, because coming in front of the bombers formation reduce the time of exposition to the defensive MG fire.

the germans did that in the end fo the war when they had ony a few fighters left.

• Heres my favorite tactic in BF1942.  It doesn’t matter in which fighter plane….unless hes in a Mustang…in which case you are Farked.  If an enemy plane flys right past you from the opposite direction, chances are hes going to turn and try to get you.  So what you wanna do is find a way to turn faster.  If hes a noob, hes going to do a wide turn.  What you should do turn your plane upside down and do a dive towards the ground.  This creates awesome acceleration apart from the fact that its an easy war to turn.  Make sure your plane is well above the ground, or else youll be doing nothing but a dive…into the GROUND!  :lol:

Once you are flying towards him…you should catch him still trying to do his wide turn and should know which direction hes headed.  Modify accordingly…and get on his 6.

• Recently I developed a plan….We spawn at first across the field…I dive low, and travel along the ground…as he gets near he couldn’t see me (we turned off the red beacon and radar so it’s more realistic and you can’t spot someone from across the level) as he passes I sneak up and shoot him down! This happend twice before he cought on.

This is funny…in the level paris, I did the same thing…excpet I was weaving between the street like 20ft off the ground, using the buildings for cover. when he came over me, I shot up and out from the street and took him out.
    I think a few times I hit a car or bus and died!  :lol:

• @Gewehr:

I think a few times I hit a car or bus and died!  :lol:

ROFLS!  What game is this in?  Sounds pretty cool.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m