Yes, but what about the original Axis and Allies?

• '17 '16

Now that we have new active moderators, not sure if this is within their power, but I’d still go by my previous statement…

They should just really rename this forum “Axis and Allies Classic” and call it a day… it’s all-inclusive of the 1984 and later editions and printings, and is something everyone would recognize and not confuse with the current 2nd edition printings.

I think calling this the A&A 2nd Edition is blurring the line too much with current “2nd Ed” printings, and there are plenty of owners/players of the original that still have/use the 1984 1st Edition set (such as myself).

• @Wolfshanze:

Now that we have new active moderators, not sure if this is within their power, …

I am afraid it is not, as we can act inside the given forum structure, but not modify the structure (here rename a (sub-) forum title) itself.
    But I am sure djensen will notice your thread in the “Website/Forum Discussion”-sub-forum.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@P@nther:

@Wolfshanze:

Now that we have new active moderators, not sure if this is within their power, …

I am afraid it is not, as we can act inside the given forum structure, but not modify the structure (here rename a (sub-) forum title) itself.
    But I am sure djensen will notice your thread in the “Website/Forum Discussion”-sub-forum.

Spthththttht to you too. :P

Never knew about the 3rd edition rules.  Though I had the CDROM game - it’s where I first learned about the Russian wall on the far east instead of how friends and I played where we just ran away with the Russians.

• Another option would be to rename that board section “Axis & Allies (Milton Bradley)”, which would cover the two versions that Milton Bradley produced (1984 and 1986) and would sidestep the whole question of whether they’re numbered editions.  In principle, there could even be a new board section called “Axis & Allies (Nova Games)” to cover the oldest version of the game, if it’s felt that such a section is needed (for completeness reasons, if for nothing else).

• '17 '16

@CWO:

Another option would be to rename that board section “Axis & Allies (Milton Bradley)”, which would cover the two versions that Milton Bradley produced (1984 and 1986) and would sidestep the whole question of whether they’re numbered editions.

I’m fine with that too Marc… really ANYTHING other then “2nd Edition” would be a better name than it currently holds…

A&A Classic
    A&A Milton Bradley
    A&A 1980s

About the worst name you could give this forum is the current one… it really blurs the line with current 2nd edition prints… its forum placement/spacing down here is probably the only reason it doesn’t constantly get hit up with off-topic/wrong-game subjects.

• As a relative newbie, I’ll second the opinion that this section should carry the title “classic.”  Those of us stuck in the 80s (there are more of us than you might think!) find the title “2nd edition” meaningless.

• I would say one thread classic Ed and one classic 2nd ed, due to the different rule sets.

• Official Q&A

@Bob77:

I would say one thread classic Ed and one classic 2nd ed, due to the different rule sets.

Having two would be nearly pointless, as almost no one has played 1st edition since the 2nd edition was released.

• '17 '16

@Krieghund:

Having two would be nearly pointless, as almost no one has played 1st edition since the 2nd edition was released.

And that’s based on what scientific study? I still own 1st Ed… the only “real/significant” difference is the dropping of the Command-in-Chief rule…

If nobody even plays 1st edition according to all the scientific studies on the matter, then WHY is it important to specifically mention this forum is only for 2nd Edition players, 1st Edition players should not be addressed. I’m at a loss as to why this forum must specifically mention 2nd edition classic if all the studies and non-biased analytical studies have revealed that nobody plays 1st edition.

Is there a harm in dropping “2nd Edition” which is the same as the CURRENT A&A games are, in-favor of “Classic” or “MB” or something else?

• '17 '16

Axis & Allies Classic (Milton Bradley 2nd Edition)

To me, it says everything about it.

• Personally, I prefer MB GameMaster Edition.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m