• So, you have spent time, money, and planning on a great move, and then 1 mine hit on a transport manages to kill your landing force, and you lose a ship, an inf, and an artillery - 13 IPCs down the drain, and the whole amphib operation is stopped.  This hit can be quite devastating considering the build and move time to get to the destination.  WHY does the game allows hits to picked by the defender - BUT not on mine hits.  In fact it make more sense to be able to target units in combat, than a random mine hitting a random ship.

I propose that mine hits can taken at the attacker’s choice.  Anybody agree?

And/or change rule to…
    Mine hits are taken by the attacker.  However, hits occur in 3 fashions; roll 1 a ship is destroyed,
    roll 2 a BB is damaged or transport loses 2 loads, or roll 3 transport loses 1 load.  All hits must be allocated to their fullest.

• In the real world they would usually sweep up the mines before the Trannies are send in. Look at D day 1944, they just lost one single Destroyer out of 700 ships that day. So the idea of letting mines targeting ships are not historical correct. It would also be better for game play and simplicity to keep the rule of owner choosing casualties, this is more streamlined, we need less special rules and exceptions. IMHO

• The mines are what kills that game for me.

They are far too imposing, even if you want to move through an area, let alone invade.

We always vow to make a house rule or introduce a mine sweeper of some sort, but then just decided against playing it altogether and grab a 40 board.

I understand what the game is trying to do, but if it’s a slog to more on land, it can’t be more of a slog to move at sea.

• Going to try this…  2 parts, roll for hits (each ship), and then type of damage…

Mines:

Roll for hits, then roll 1 die for damage…
    Transports: 1= ship sunk or lose 2 loads, 2= ship sunk or lose load 1 load, 3= cannot unload*,
    4= unload 1 unit only*, 5= lose 1 movement factor**, 6= no effect.
    Battleships: 1= if undamaged, damaged** and lose 2 attack factors*; if damaged, ship sunk,
    2= if undamaged, damaged**; if damaged, lose 2 attack factors* and 1 movement factor**,
    3= lose 2 attack factors*, 4= lose 1 attack factor*, 5= lose 1 movement factor**, 6= no effect.
    Cruisers: 1= ship sunk, 2= lose 2 attack factors* and 2 movement factors**, 3= lose 1 attack factor* and 1 movement factor**, 4= lose 1 attack factor*, 5= lose 1 movement factor**, 6= no effect.
    Submarines: 1= sub lost, 2= lose 1 attack factor* and cannot submerge**, 3= lose 1 attack factor*,
    4= cannot submerge**, 5= lose 1 movement factor**, 6= no effect.
    *current turn only  **must be repaired in port

• Simplifying the rule down this… if transport hit - it can lose a load to satisfy.  This solves issue of a crushing loss of a transport to a lucky mine hit, and keeps the concept that a transport is not just a single ship, but a convoy, and a mine would only disrupt part of that convoy.  The current mine rule is too harsh and not realistic.

• I’m curious if anyone has played only rolling for mines when resolving an amphibious invasion and ignoring them otherwise. My idea is that mines are ignored for movement (unless Allied ships attempt to move through SZ 11 to SZ 10 or 12 while Germany controls Berlin or Allied ships attempt to move through SZ 20 to SZ 17 or 19 or 21 while the Ottomans control Constantinople) and naval battles on the high seas. Mines are rolled for when a player attempts an amphibious invasion in a mined SZ. If a naval battle has to occur before the amphibious landing, then mines are rolled before the naval battle.

Haven’t tried this yet, but I thought it would encourage slightly more naval action, but was curious to get other’s thoughts. Would this unleash the High Seas Fleet or encourage a greater degree of turtling than that already encouraged by the current rules?

(My apologies if this has already been discussed, I haven’t done an exhaustive search of the forums).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m