A few quick calculations on unit strength.

• I think that if you got enough infantry to swim out to a battleship, the infantry would win. What do you think?
    I put it in a calculator and it says infantry wins! Interesting stats.

• Interesting stats, but don’t think it weighs too heavily on what units one should purchase. Each piece has it’s particular pros and cons, and generally the higher cost (IPC to attack/defense strength) units have a special capability not available in a lower cost unit.

In a perfect world, I would like to go into a ground battle with a mix of inf, art, tanks, and air, because they each bring something special to the battle. Likewise, I think naval battles are best conducted with a mixed fleet. The reality, however, is that other considerations tend to skew the optimum attack or defense force. Many times, you simply have to fight with what you have on hand.

That being said, buying the cheapest unit that will do the job is not bad advice, but quite often the special capabilities of a unit matter as much, if not more, than the cost.

• Those stats reflect a critical misconception that battles consist of one unit type versus one unit type and that you should focus only on the optimal, and more importantly, the lack of focus on the multi-turn nature of the game.

For starters, when attacking, Infantry+Tanks is massively superior to either only Infantry or only Tanks.  In fact, the ideal setup is to ensure that every battle ends with only your Infantry dying, meaning that you only lost the cheap fodder while retaining the vast majority of your firepower.  It is for that reason that Infantry+Tanks is usually superior to Infantry+Artillery, because after taking 1 hit, Infantry+Tanks loses a 1/4 of their power but Infantry+Artillery loses 1/2 of theirs.

• True, maybe a mix of artillery and infantry swimming out to the battleship would be stronger. I will crunch the numbers!

• Infantry+Tanks beats Infantry+Artillery in equally costed numbers both on offense and defense.

• “Destroyer wins Bomber with 4 units left”.

How can this be possible when both units cost 12 and bomber attack @4 and cruiser defends @3 ?

• @Subotai:

“Destroyer wins Bomber with 4 units left”.

How can this be possible when both units cost 12 and bomber attack @4 and cruiser defends @3 ?

When he was rolling the dice I guess the cruisers come out lucky. Or it could be that the cruisers were attacking and the bombers defending on 1.

• Ok, you may be on to something. Infantry driving tanks out to a battleship…… Hmm… something to think about.

• @wodan46:

Infantry+Tanks beats Infantry+Artillery in equally costed numbers both on offense and defense.

No. It does not.

Your average battle calculator:
    5 inf + 5 rtl vs 4 arm + 5 inf : mean attacker profits = -3,0 IPC’s
    4 arm + 5 inf vs 5 inf + 5 rtl : mean attacker profits = -3,7 IPC’s
    Overall: 0,7 IPC’s win for artillery.

=> It’s a close call though, which keeps artillery mainly as a good support unit for big stacks of defending inf.

• I think this is interesting, but I am curious to see how this changes with different IPC amounts. Did you choose 120 because it factorability (it’s a word, now)? What would happen if you use 36 IPC?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m