• @newpaintbrush:

Why take a risk when you don’t have to?

I’m just saying you could, if you feel a little riskier, do the same opening but make sure that neither of your fighters die.

• @newpaintbrush:

You think Western Russia / Eastern Europe as proposed is a good move?

Hard to say
    i’ve looked at it a few times, and never really liked going after it, even tho’ i kind of wanted to.
    What i’m trying to work out is a way to take NOR, as well as WEU.  The time i went for NOR i got wiped out, but i think the odds are slightly in my favor.

• :-o
      There is a lot to be said for an early; ie: Round one offensive that stings Germany beyond the usual game play.
    It is rather unnerving to the Axis player and upsets his gameplay.
        Step one to victory; Make your opponent react to you, not the other way around.
      I’ve tried this a couple of times, (Ukraine, W.R. and EE). And on both occasions I was victorious in the battles, but was so thin that the German player rolled my front right up to Moscow by G3. Not a comfortable position so early in the game :-(
    But with careful planning and patience, and a little luck too, it is by no means a disaster.

The first thing is to buy only infantry on R1. Then starting on R2 begin to buy an Artillary and a tank or two to show some counter-punch capability. Remember, The British and Americans can send in Fighter support for defense, no need for Russia to spend resources on these expensive units. Russia is far better off with tanks in the offensive anyway. it’s all about numbers of units in combat, not quality of units in combat.
              For instance,
    10 Ipc will buy one fighter = one die roll hit on a 3 or less, (if it survives the flak).
    10 Ipc will also buy you two tanks= two die rolls that hit on a 3 or less, and no flak to contend with.

It did effect the German assaults in N. Africa, and against Karilia, as well as the Caucuses, which he didn’t take until G5, If my memory serves me correctly. 
      By then though, the Britts and US were well on the way through Norway and the middle east. Germany had to retreat, followed closely by my massive Moscow Armies. Once Germany starts surrendering income territories it’s Victory for the Allies!
    Oh, what about the Japanese you say?
        I was able to send enough Allied units their way to keep them just busy enough to throw the Germans back on their heels.

:roll: crazy Ivan

• But that balancing act, where ever move is essential, where margins of victory for battles are thin… that invites the DICE to become the main arbiter instead of solid play.

A couple of sets of bad dice by the same side, and you are TOAST
    (and I don;t mean horrid dice, I mean just a few below average rolls where you lose 2-3 units more than expected on the attack, and a corresponding higher loss with less damage to the enemy when they counter…)

• :-o
      That is how I like to play, on the edge.
    Alexander the Great liked to say," Victory favors the bold!"
    I play to try and get the quick kill. Don’t much care for the slow buld up, and steamroller games. Too boring IMO. So I attack often with smaller armies. I’m in it for the fun folks.
      C.I.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’ve been thinking, with all those tanks going into W. Russia instead of Ukraine, what are your odds of success in Ukraine?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m